PDA

View Full Version : Band saw upgrade?

David Wilhelm
01-24-2008, 9:36 AM
I'm looking at a jet 16" 3hp. The price is right. It wont have an easy life if I get it. I'd use it more as a small saw mill than anything. I think it should be big enough for my needs. I'm not really in the market but I dont want to let this one go I can sure use it. Any thoughts?

Bill Embrey
01-24-2008, 11:03 AM
David, I have the Rikon 18" 2hp bandsaw. I purchased it primarily for the same reason... milling logs. I've added a 2' outfeed table and built the log milling jig from May '07 Wood magazine to hold the logs. I also use a Timberwolf 1" blade.

If that saw has 12" resaw capacity and large enough for a 3/4 or larger blade (and is in your price range) I'd say go for it.

Reed Gray
01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
If you can, get as big of a saw as you can afford. There always seems to be times when you will say,"Gee, I wish I had a bigger saw!!". Been there, done that, more HP, and height. For resawing, on a vertical mill/saw, a sled is almost a must (takes care of infeed and outfeed tables), along with a power feed. A Lennox bimetal resaw blade is the best, 1 1/4 inch, or as wide as your saw can hold. The bimetal keeps an edge better, and doesn't dull as much when you hit nails. You have to hit several before it needs resharpening. I have a Laguna 16HD, 5 hp, 30 amp circuit, and 16 resaw capacity. I wish I had more height. I may upgrade. I seldom turn bowls bigger than 16 inch diameter because they are more of a specialty market. I am getting a bigger lathe (Robust) so may have to get a 24 inch resaw capacity.
robo hippy

no, I don't have a tool buying problem. Well, not really.

David Walser
01-24-2008, 1:23 PM
If you can, get as big of a saw as you can afford. There always seems to be times when you will say,"Gee, I wish I had a bigger saw!!". Been there, done that, more HP, and height. For resawing, on a vertical mill/saw, a sled is almost a must (takes care of infeed and outfeed tables), along with a power feed. A Lennox bimetal resaw blade is the best, 1 1/4 inch, or as wide as your saw can hold. The bimetal keeps an edge better, and doesn't dull as much when you hit nails. You have to hit several before it needs resharpening. I have a Laguna 16HD, 5 hp, 30 amp circuit, and 16 resaw capacity. I wish I had more height. I may upgrade. I seldom turn bowls bigger than 16 inch diameter because they are more of a specialty market. I am getting a bigger lathe (Robust) so may have to get a 24 inch resaw capacity.

A new Robust and a new, larger, Laguna? Somehow I've got to get my wife to believe that this is typical for woodturner hobbyists. Can we have a few more posts like this? "But, Dear, you're the one who said I needed to get a hoby..." :)

Greg Heppeard
01-24-2008, 1:26 PM
I like my Jet 16"

Nathan Hawkes
01-24-2008, 5:05 PM
A new Robust and a new, larger, Laguna? Somehow I've got to get my wife to believe that this is typical for woodturner hobbyists. Can we have a few more posts like this? "But, Dear, you're the one who said I needed to get a hoby..." :)

:):)

I have major tool envy right now!!

Richard Madison
01-24-2008, 9:42 PM
Still cheaper than a new bass boat.