PDA

View Full Version : Longworth Chuck Query

Steve Trauthwein
01-24-2008, 8:21 AM
I have started a longworth chuck as of yesterday. I wanted to use white stoppers so I wouldn't get a dark streak on light woods. I did a search on the internet and the only ones I have seen that are drilled have a 3/8" hole. Can the solid ones be drilled handily, are there stoppers available with a 1/4" hole?

Regards, Steve

Mike Henderson
01-24-2008, 9:39 AM
I used 3/8" bolts on mine.

Mike

Mike Golka
01-24-2008, 10:35 AM
I use the black test tube stoppers with about a 3/16" hole, no problems with 1/4" bolt or coloring light wood.

Bill Bolen
01-24-2008, 10:54 AM
I make my own with the table leg tips from home depot and a piece of 3/4" dowel as a center. I also made a set using the Nova Cole jaw replacement bumpers from WC. $9 for 8 bumpers. By far this is the simpliest and easiest way to go. Just reamed out with a 1/4" drill bit and installed with 1/4" X 2 1/2" bolts. Works well especially if you don't care for the taller leg tip ones...Bill...

Bill Bolen
01-24-2008, 11:01 AM
here is a pic with the nova bumpers...Bill...

Bill Stevener
01-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Steve, this is the way I fabricated one. The nylon bushings are a great asset. You can get the cane tips in black or white. The black ones don't leave any marks.
Good luck with your project, they do work well.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=204417&postcount=35

David Walser
01-24-2008, 2:17 PM
Steve, this is the way I fabricated one. The nylon bushings are a great asset. You can get the cane tips in black or white. The black ones don't leave any marks.
Good luck with your project, they do work well.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=204417&postcount=35

Steve,

I followed the link to see your chuck. That's some chuck! You made several improvements (I like the use of nylon bearings) and it looks well made. You could probably find several turners willing to buy them from you!

Jim Underwood
01-24-2008, 4:00 PM
Bill,
What is that hub thingie on the back side of your longworth chuck? :confused:

Richard Madison
01-24-2008, 9:58 PM
Jim,
I think he said that is a dovetail tenon that fits the chuck. Others use a small dedicated faceplate.

One more thought- with a large piece it is sometimes impossible to reach the finger holes on the front disc. I drilled radial holes spaced around both my discs, 1/4" x about 3/4" deep, so the chuck can be tightened/loosened with a couple of 1/4" rods, like "tommy bars" on some chucks. Can hold the chuck "tight" with one hand while tightening the wing nuts (or whatever) with the other hand. Also easier to open/close, since I was not clever enough to use the plastic bushings.

Bill Stevener
01-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Bill,
What is that hub thingie on the back side of your longworth chuck? :confused:

Jim, it's a steal dove tail ring that fits the dove tail jaws on my chuck. "Wax on - Wax off". Bowl off - Chuck on. Place bowl and go.

This eliminates taking the turning chuck off and screwing the face plate on that is fastened to the Longworth chuck. Much easier and faster, I hardly ever take the turning chuck off. :D

Hope this is clearer than a pile of chips????

Jim Underwood
01-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Oooooo, sweet!

So where does one get those dovetail rings?

Steve Kubien
01-25-2008, 2:51 PM
Looks like a Nova faceplate ring (though it may not be). I got one from a Secret Santa this year and I haven't used a conventional faceplate since. I've been roughing bowls one minute, sanding dried bowls the next without removing my chuck. I love this thing!

Steve Kubien

Bill Stevener
01-25-2008, 4:14 PM
Oooooo, sweet!

So where does one get those dovetail rings?

If I remember, I purchased mine from Craft Supplies USA. They may be called a face plate ring now?

Bill Stevener
01-25-2008, 4:21 PM
I have started a longworth chuck as of yesterday. I wanted to use white stoppers so I wouldn't get a dark streak on light woods. I did a search on the internet and the only ones I have seen that are drilled have a 3/8" hole. Can the solid ones be drilled handily, are there stoppers available with a 1/4" hole?

Regards, Steve

Hay Steve, this is all for you, did you build a chuck yet?? It should be finished by now, how about some photos.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wally Wenzel
01-25-2008, 4:36 PM
Hi all, I built my chuck a few years ago I made my pegs myself by taking small blocks of oak, drill a1/4" hole amd mount on my pen mandrel anf turning them to the shape i wanted and then dipped them in plasti coat which is made to dip tool handles soch as pliers etc. Dip them a couple times with the bolt in them and you have a peg made to your specs. I made 2 sets that will work in almost any situation. I don't believe i would use any type of particle board for one as it has been known to come apart when i is spun. Wally

Wally Wenzel
01-25-2008, 4:45 PM
Forgot to add that i used a small face plate for mine, but the face plate ring would work just as well, i didn,t think of it at the time, but i have made several of the rings, i got some 1/4" alum. and rough cut them out and screwed them to a block of wood att. to face plate. cut them with a parting tool and a diamond pointed old sears turning tool. works very well but you must go slow. Wally

Steve Trauthwein
01-26-2008, 8:34 AM
I have two chucks laid out. I decided to go with the 3/8 inch groove and nylon spacers with 1/4 bolts and white wine bottle stoppers. In two days of searching I have not been able to find the bushing that allows me to use my 1/4 router bits on my 1/2 router. it appears I will be making a purchase from Lee Valley before I finish either chuck.

Regards, Steve

P.S. Thanks for all of the input!

Allen Neighbors
01-26-2008, 6:54 PM
Steve, I used white cane tips. I bought those that are about 1" diameter, and the hole inside is about 5/8". I inserted a stub of 1/4"id plastic tubing into the cane tip. Drilled a 1/4" hole through the tip, and used 1/4" bolts with wingnuts to fasten them.
They work very well, don't mark the wood, and have never let one go.

Richard Madison
01-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Wally,
Very cool ideas about the plastic-dipped pegs and home-made aluminum dovetail plates. Things I would have tried if I had thunkofit.