PDA

View Full Version : Which Wenzloff Saw

Randy Klein
01-24-2008, 8:07 AM
Which Wenzloff saw(s) should I get for crosscutting? Both sawing rough boards to length and sawing to a final length after the milling process. Currently I use a jig saw for rough cuts and my crosscut tenon saw for the final cut, but the brass back limits the width of the board I can saw.

I see that he has a half-back saw, panel saw, and hand saw, each can be ordered to different lengths.

So which one(s) and what lengths would work well?

Robert Rozaieski
01-24-2008, 8:36 AM
Sounds like you need a panel saw.

harry strasil
01-24-2008, 9:34 AM
usually 8 pt or so for rough crosscutting, 12pt or finer for finish cuts.
In the old days woodworker had 3 main saws, rip, crosscut and panel, panels were finer teeth and shorter length.

Mark Stutz
01-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Randy,
I think any of those would work for you. When I'm doing the final cut before shooting, I use a bench hook, so I'm sawing from the face of the board rather than the edge. With this approach I'm limited by the length of the backsaw rather than the depth. I have a 14 in. and find this has almost always been sufficient.

Of course, you still need that new Wenzloff!:D:D

Mark

lowell holmes
01-24-2008, 1:53 PM
I have a 10 point Disston panel saw (Ebay) that is crosscut, that I use as you describe. I can smooth the ends with a shooting board and plane if needed. I also have a 1940's Craftsman 10 point panel saw that I sharpened to rip pattern (shades of Tage Frid) I use a lot, both crosscut and rip.

As Mark stated, I still want a new Wenzloff. :-)