PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Woodworking Show

Guy Germaine
01-24-2008, 6:57 AM
OK Guys. The WW show is only two weeks away. How about making plans for our yearly breakfast? Cracker Barrel again?
http://www.gatewaycenter.com/events/R0802003.html

Michael Hammers
01-24-2008, 9:33 AM
How can you find who all is suppose to be set up at this event, Im in Evansville Indiana about three hours to the east?

Steve Clardy
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
OK Guys. The WW show is only two weeks away. How about making plans for our yearly breakfast? Cracker Barrel again?
http://www.gatewaycenter.com/events/R0802003.html

Planning on being there for breakfast.

Steve Clardy
01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
How can you find who all is suppose to be set up at this event, Im in Evansville Indiana about three hours to the east?

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/

Gary Herrmann
01-24-2008, 10:41 AM
I should be able to make it.

Guy Germaine
01-24-2008, 3:56 PM
Cool. I also posted this on the "other" forum. We should have a group from over there joining us too.

Jim Dunn
01-24-2008, 5:48 PM
Count me in! Probably have the big guy with me as well Steve.

Steve Clardy
01-24-2008, 7:05 PM

:cool::cool::cool: Yer body guard JL? :eek::D

I'm bringing my body guard also. ;)

Guess we'll see how many gallons of coffee it takes to get us through the morning.

Tom Sontag
01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Nah Steve, that big guy is Jim's "wife". ;)

I'll be at the breakfast (if not the WW show) and setting the pace for coffee guzzling. I had an idea of a brief Show and Tell feature at the breakfast; bring a small project or tool to pass around. Anyone like that idea?

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Which day and what time?

Bruce

Steve Clardy
01-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Nah Steve, that big guy is Jim's "wife". ;)

I'll be at the breakfast (if not the WW show) and setting the pace for coffee guzzling. I had an idea of a brief Show and Tell feature at the breakfast; bring a small project or tool to pass around. Anyone like that idea?

:eek::eek::eek: Wife?

Sure. I'll bring something.

Which day and what time?

Bruce

Sat at 8:00 Bruce

Gary Herrmann
01-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I think the fam is coming with me this year. The wife is getting into chip carving. 'Course this could be a thinly veiled attempt to just keep an eye on me.

Projects. Hmm. Can't lug the boards for the boys bed. Probably have to be a small turning, when I get my replacement belt.

Oh, and I got an email saying that WC is having a 25% off one item sale tomorrow morning.

Tom Sontag
01-25-2008, 6:12 PM
I thought it was 9 am last year, not 8?

Steve Clardy
01-25-2008, 6:56 PM
I thought it was 9 am last year, not 8?

:confused: Not sure.
I missed last year at Collinsville. Went to KC, as I will again this year.
Year before if I remember correctly, it was 8:00

Guy Germaine
01-25-2008, 8:10 PM
I think it was 8:00am last year too. The doors at the show open at 10:00. That will give us an hour to eat, and watch Tom do his show an tell! We can use the back of my truck as a workbench again.

Mark Stutz
01-25-2008, 8:53 PM
Maybe it won't be so cold that we'll be able to hold a plane! Guy, you need to put a vise and some bench dogs in that tailgate!:D;) See you all at 8:00.

Mark

Tom Sontag
01-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Okay 8:00 it is.

"Table for 15 please"

Joe Mioux
01-25-2008, 10:43 PM
I would love to meet you all.... but...........:confused:

Guy Germaine
01-26-2008, 5:37 AM
Maybe it won't be so cold that we'll be able to hold a plane! Guy, you need to put a vise and some bench dogs in that tailgate!:D;) See you all at 8:00.

Mark

If Tom knew how to sharpen a plane, we wouldn't need them. :rolleyes:

Hey...somebody bring a camera.

Keith Cope
01-26-2008, 8:08 AM
Better make that a table for 16! See you all then.

Gary Herrmann
01-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Better make it 20, a few people from work are coming...

Steve Clardy
01-27-2008, 10:19 AM
I would love to meet you all.... but...........:confused:

Need some info Joe?

Ken Glass
01-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Hey Guys,
I wish I could make the Sat. morning eat feast and Show, but I am going to have to go Friday morning, this year. If anyone in Central IL wants to share a ride or just caravan down, let me know. I am coming from Jacksonville, and will stop in Springfield, (I-55) if anyone is interested. I will be in a Suburban, in case the urge is great, to buy mass quantities of WW stuff. Send me a message and let me know if you are interested. Didn't mean to take over the thread, just thought it was an opportunity to share the travel costs and a Woodworker's company.

Joe Mioux
01-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Need some info Joe?

Gotta work.... maybe if I plan some shipments into Lambert, I can make the Sat am coffee meeting. :)

Mike Heidrick
01-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Wife are going to Collinsville Friday. She is meeting up with her sister and best friend for a day of girl stuff. I am heading to the show - by myself to speend as much time tehre as I want and look at the stuff I want to and sit for the shows I want. I took a buddy last year that is not into WW as much and I felt like I was dragging him along and felt rushed as he got board. Learned that lesson. Spendng the night down there so we are doing Melting Pot Friday night for late dinner with a few other couples. This will also be the first overnight without our baby who is now 1ysld. Grandma is graciously watching Megan. I know the show is kinda lame to some but my wife and I are both looking forward to this small weekend trip!!!

Steve Clardy
01-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Gotta work.... maybe if I plan some shipments into Lambert, I can make the Sat am coffee meeting. :)

Come if you can Joe :)

Wife are going to Collinsville Friday. She is meeting up with her sister and best friend for a day of girl stuff. I am heading to the show - by myself to speend as much time tehre as I want and look at the stuff I want to and sit for the shows I want. I took a buddy last year that is not into WW as much and I felt like I was dragging him along and felt rushed as he got board. Learned that lesson. Spendng the night down there so we are doing Melting Pot Friday night for late dinner with a few other couples. This will also be the first overnight without our baby who is now 1ysld. Grandma is graciously watching Megan. I know the show is kinda lame to some but my wife and I are both looking forward to this small weekend trip!!!

:cool::cool::cool::D

Lee Koepke
01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
shoulda done something like this for the show in ATL....

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Add two more. I'm meeting Ken Glass in Springfield, then we will be coming your way. Which Exit has the Cracker Barrel. The same one as the show?

Bruce

Guy Germaine
01-30-2008, 7:13 AM
Bruce,
Looks like Exit 9. Take I-55 South to 255. Take 255 to the 157 (Caseyville) Exit
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=Springfield&1s=IL&1z=&2pn=&2a=2421+Old+Country+Inn+Dr&2c=Caseyville&2s=IL&2z=&r=f

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-30-2008, 8:16 PM
Thanks Guy. I thought it was at the Carlinsville exit.

Bruce

Guy Germaine
01-31-2008, 7:01 AM
No, the Cracker Barrel is actually in Caseyville. When we leave, we just stay on 157 for about 10 minutes, and that takes you right in to Collinsville, and the show site.

Mark Stutz
02-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Just a reminder about this Sat.

Guy Germaine
02-08-2008, 5:35 AM
As far as I know, I'll be there. My dad is in the hospital with pneumonia, but he's improving nicely. If all that stays the same, I'll be there.

LOML an I took the day off today, and are headed up there when they open to get a sneak peek!

Tom Sontag
02-09-2008, 3:45 PM

Okay Jim, let's hear it. It had better be good.

Gary Herrmann
02-09-2008, 4:52 PM
I did see Jim at the show. When I asked him about breakfast he said something about the sun being in his eyes while driving east. Having driven east myself, yes, I can verify that the sun was present...

That said, bringing the family certainly is a way to get out without buying much. :rolleyes: A few cheap brushes, sanding sticks and some tack cloths. Sheesh...

Tim Malyszko
02-09-2008, 5:47 PM
Well, I didn't make breakfast due to school, but I did make the show and walked out with quite the haul (so much for only spending $100:D). Here is everything I picked up:

Kreg Bandsaw Fence - It included the free resaw guide and a nice book on the bandsaw - $107.
2-pack of the Micro Jig Gripper with all the accessories - I've been looking for some new push blocks since mine are worn and when I noticed that all the peachtree demos were using these, I had to have them. They were the safest looking push blocks I've ever seen. I probably went overboard here, but I felt that the safety they provide more than offsets the cost. Plus, since I bought the cadillac set, I get all the accessories so that I can use them on my bandsaw, router table, jointer and tablesaw - $189 for two complete sets. The also threw in a free mini splitter for the tablesaw.
Some stabilized burl pen blanks - about $5/blank.
Zero Clearance Insert for my tablesaw - $10.99
Kreg Drawer Slide jig - I hate installing drawer slides and this made it look so easy - $29.
Freud 6-piece picture frame/moulding router bit set - I've been putting off a few projects because I don't have the router bit profiles I need to do the work. I was amazed at the number of different moulding profiles one could create with these 6 bits. In addition, they threw in a "how-to" DVD along with a setup guide. Now I can finally finish that mantle my Mom's been wanting for over a year - $239.I guess that's it. The only reason I included prices is so that others can use them as comparison because the question always comes up as to whether or not one can get good deals at the woodworking show. I certainly feel I walked away with my money's worth.

Steve Clardy
02-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Well John and I made it back home in one piece.
Had a traffic jam on 370 going out. That was a 30 minute or so delay.

I looked high and low for Jim at the show. Never spotted him:confused: