PDA

View Full Version : Guitar: Walnut burl "Les Paul Custom" with abalone and mother-of-pearl inlay

Dave MacArthur
01-24-2008, 4:00 AM
Hi,
Someone in another thread was asking about inlaying into ebony, and I wanted to be able to link to this thread without taking over theirs. So I decided to post some pics I just took of my guitar that I built some years ago.

The guitar was designed and built completely by me, with some guidance from my father who had built two acoustic guitars, and was my first real woodworking project of my own. Prior to this, I was the "B Man" for my father's projects. This was a nice coming-of-age project that let me spend time with my Dad but do my own thing--kind of a "Woodworkers First Hunt" thing ;) It is styled after the classic "Les Paul Custom". Most of the guitar was built with hand tools, and it is highly embellished with inlays around the whole body and neck of abalone shell, and mother-of-pearl. I designed an internal wow and phase-shifter, which is installed in the back, and "active electronics" based on an article in Pop. Electronics, which pre-boost frequencies for tone control rather than filtering/cutting them out prior to the amp as most guitars do.

The body of the guitar was made from a large slab of walnut that had been hit by lightning and produced a burl. I acquired the 3" thick slab from a guy in Pennsylvania, probably up near Jim Becker though I can't remember exactly where now (I lived in Hockessin Delaware, across the PA border). He had a massive shop, and built scale models of various craft for the Navy for wind tunnel testing and water testing--very interesting.

I cut the body out so the line of figure in the wood would parallel the strings. You can see there is a color differential depending on what angle you look at it, sort of like a hologram--the wood is all the same color, but half the slab appears markedly lighter due to the grain when viewed at an angle.

The body was shaped using a router sled, and is convex (humped) in the middle, both in the top-bottom axis AND the front-back axis. It's hard to tell, but it's about 3/4" raised in the curve. I built a box to sit the body in with curved edges and ran the router back and forth on a slotted sled over the top, turned the slab 90 and modified the height, repeated. Finish shaped with sanding and rasps.

The neck is made out of walnut, and the head is also walnut. You can see in the closeup that there is a patterned inlay stripe--this is actually maple/walnut/cherry/walnut/maple. It provides structural strength and stability--I used long grain, but alternated each veneer on a slight bias, and used epoxy to laminate them all together straight through the neck. In a guitar, there must be an opposing force to keep the string tension from bowing the neck, and this is usually achieved by routing a curved slot under the fingerboard the length of the neck, inserting a curved metal rod, topping with another curved wooden filler, then emplacing the fingerboard. The rod is affixed to the head, and by tightening a bolt the neck/body interface you straighten the rod out a bit to provide a counteracting force to the strings. In an electric guitar the forces involved are much less than in an acoustic guitar due to lower tensions on the strings.

When I designed the guitar, I desired to have a much thinner neck than was normal, that is the thickness, to allow me to get full wrap-around with all fingers allowing faster scales etc., and to achieve this thinner neck I went with the epoxy cross laminated backbone, and an insert rod with much less bow than normal. The guitar is over twenty years old now, and I have had no problems, so I guess the design worked ;)

The neck and head were rough shaped on the bandsaw, then shaped using rasps, files, and sanding by hand.

The head piece has a veneer of walnut to match the darker body color. You can see at the top a mother-of-pearl scroll that I inlaid. I cut all the inlay pieces on a scroll saw/jig saw... can't remember the brand now. Originally I was planning on inlaying my initials into the scroll in ebony, then I was going to do it in Lord of the Rings "feanorian" script, then it was going to be lightning bolts...but each month my plans changed, and as you can see I never committed heh.

The fretboard is black ebony. In the closeup with the flash, it looks brownish, but it's pretty much solid black. I also decided to make the neck/fretboard less wide than normal, that is with strings more closely spaced, to again allow pinky/ring finger manipulations of the bass strings easily, which you can see. An interesting facet of musical instrument design theory is that the neck length is NOT a "standard" thing! You can essentially make your string length whatever you want! Each fret's position must be calculated based on it being a certain fraction of the total string's length--I was astounded when I learned this. So of course I had to lengthen the strings a wee bit more than normal, to provide wider fret spacing up in the high notes, to again allow cleaner fingering of high scales. The consistent tuning of a scale is achieved by tensioning the strings correctly.

Another interesting thing is that a well-made fretboard is curved in the same shape that high-tension electrical wires--you know, power lines-- hang in. Imagine a string vibrating, you can see that on both ends where the string is attached it doesn't move much, but in the middle it vibrates through a much larger arc. If the fretboard isn't curved to allow for this arc, then the string will "buzz" on the frets, or the board must be so far away from the high-note region of the string that it's difficult to finger the notes. By curving the fretboard to follow the string's oscillation path, you can make it much more smooth and comfortable to play. Each string is different too--the bass strings arc out a much wider path. I basically final shaped the fretboard with strings in place and tuned, measuring the gap all along the string when in motion to account for the frets. When you finger down on a higher-up fret, once again there must be enough gap that the string doesn't buzz on the next frets, but not so much gap that it's hard to play the next couple frets up with other fingers. Some of this curve can be pre-calculated, but with a custom length string like mine, I couldn't just use a template from a book. Once the frets are installed, there is probably another 20 hours of sanding and perfecting their height also.

Most electric guitars have very little if any curve to the fretboard, but I think this is more an economy move than anything--it's difficult to curve the frets well to fit the board. However, a slight curve makes for better playing IMO, so I did that also. Each fret wire was cut and curved to match the fingerboard. The slots were cut using a back saw and a jig for straightness.

All of the hardware is gold-plated. The machines are Schaler, and the pickups are DiMarzio humbucking. Can't remember who made the bridge. The nut up near the head is made from bone, which I believe I actually got from a birthday roast or similar... it smelled like hell shaping it!

The electronics of the guitar are noteworthy. Popular Electronics had an article in 1980 or so about "active electronics", which I used as the basis for the guitar. In most guitars, tonal control is achieved by creating a "filter", which is a capacitor hooked up to a variable potentiometer (resistor). Basically as you turn the knob, all frequencies above a certain changeable level are just stopped--they won't pass the capacitor. In this manner, the full range of frequencies passed on to the amplifier is chopped, producing tone control. The problem with this approach is that there are so many rich tones and effects that can be achieved at the amp, that it is almost a sin to build an oscillation making musical device, then just KILL a whole spectrum of frequencies and potential off as a rough-handed way to achieve tone control from the instrument. Instead, active electronics amplify frequencies to achieve tone control, leaving all the rich oscillations and side-tones still alive to reach the main amp.

Along with this active electronics, I ripped apart two common foot-pedal switches from the 70s/80s (wow and phase shift), and replicated their design on a circuit that would fit inside the guitar using the radio shack board etching kits. You can see a small silver toggle switch at the very back of the guitar--that is a 3 position switch that goes from normal to the other two effects. You can see the (scratched up) cover plate for the electronics in the back, where I have my name. Another really neat thing you can see there is a SHOTGUN PELLET! Someone had shot the tree, and upon machining the body slab I found this shotgun pellet in the wood! I liked it there, and left it in the back, where I have gotten countless hours of enjoyment thinking about that tree's life of being shot, hit by lightning, growing through ages of heat and cold, to end up making music and folk songs for my kids.

Probably the "best" aspect to the guitar is the complete surround of abalone shell. I had a box of 1"x1" abalone, about 1/16" thick. I marked each piece, and cut them out one by one to fit all the way around the body, around the neck. They were inlaid into a small rabbit, and held with clear epoxy. This was the hardest part of the guitar--the ends of each piece had to be angled to match the next one, and fit the curve. I shaped them on the scroll saw, then smoothed them each on a drum sander mounted in the drill press and by hand. At first it took like 3 blades per piece, but at the end I could do 8-10 per blade before breakage.

The fret markers on the fretboard are mother of pearl. I routed the neck out using a dremel tool with a little "router base" and a very fine spiral bit. The ebony was very brittle and tended to produce brittle fibers, like composite carbon fibers. On the edge of the fretboard when viewed from above (in the playing position), you can see I inlaid small brass fret markers. These are actually small wire posts from radio shack cut off ;) I liked the look, so went with brass instead of more abalone.

The finish is about 10 coats of polyurethane, rubbed out between each coat. I didn't actually polish the guitar up for the photos--originally I just took some so I could reply to a thread about inlaying brass in ebony. I may go back and polish it up and repost another pic, after all this typing! ;) I see in the flash/blow ups that there is some dust I should have wiped, and fingerprints.

Most of the work on the guitar was completed with hand tools, and it was all done at my father's house. I built most of the guitar my senior year of high school, and finished it my freshman/sophomore year at the AF Academy while on leave. I do recall that the table saw used was a Craftsman contractor, the bandsaw was a Rockwell 9", and the router was a PC. Despite having much nicer tools of my own now, I don't know that I've turned out anything better than this--I'm sure there's a lesson there, but I'm too busy shopping the Grizzly website to look for it just now ;)

Hope you enjoy this post--wish I had some pics of the build, but I wasn't digital back then. Next up: the instrument I replaced this one with, my bagpipes!

Dave MacArthur
01-24-2008, 4:04 AM
more pics, showing neck and back of guitar.

Billy Chambless
01-24-2008, 9:03 AM
Dave, that's an absolutely gorgeous guitar. I'm saving your post, as building an electric guitar form scratch as you have is a secret ambition of mine, and some of your construction ideas made me look at the project in a new way.

PS: Don't tell anybody. ;)

Doug Shepard
01-24-2008, 9:18 AM
I want one.
That's gorgeous and probably sounds just as good.

Scott Rader
01-24-2008, 10:55 AM
what was initial dimensions of the piece of walnut that you used. My son wants me to assist him with a similar project starting this year.

thanks

Bob Feeser
01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Wow, and to think that when the rest of us are building book cases in our Senior year in high school, you are tackling a guitar. It only goes to show you that having a mentor such as your Dad can catapult one into higher levels of woodworking, at an accelerated pace.
I am a guitarist myself. I have an old 1966 Fender telecaster that I bought brand new. The action on it is so nice, it plays itself, or at least it seems to. The action of the guitar is probably the most difficult part of the whole project. That and getting the whole plane of the neck to sit just right. How did you manage to get the neck pocket so tight to give you the perfect plane? And how did you figure that out ahead of time? That is especially hard considering you are dealing with a sculpted top as well.
I love walnut, I have 2 slabs cut out for fender style bodies, and have to figure out how to make the pickup and neck openings. A template for a router should do it, and then some way to judge the depth of plunge for each of those.
Great job, I am impressed. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Dave MacArthur
01-26-2008, 1:51 AM
Scott--thx for the comment ;) you can really make the slab just slightly larger than the final body, and the final body can by any shape/size you want. The body of an electric guitar has no sound qualities really, it's just a place to bolt everything together. The Fender stratocaster and telecaster are both much thinner than 3", maybe 1"?, and there are guitars where the body is almost just an extension of the neck.

Jon Bonham
01-26-2008, 2:02 AM
The body of an electric guitar has no sound qualities really, it's just a place to bolt everything together.

Blasphemy. I think Wayne Charvel would disagree.

Nice looking guitar though.

Dave MacArthur
01-26-2008, 2:10 AM
Bob, thanks for the kind words!

You are so right about how much having a mentor can help you build the confidence to take on projects you otherwise wouldn't, and see them through. I remember when I first glued up the laminate neck/head, it was just two chunks of wood lumped together sitting in the vise. I just stood there staring at it, unable to start. I had some rough measurements to go for, but... My Dad took a small plane, put it in my hands, and put them on the neck, and said, "Start planing". Later, when I was looking at the neck/head curve area, he took a rasp, hogged it across the wood, handed it to me and walked out. Just the confidence that gave me that I could trust myself to hack into it and see/sculpt the right shape, made all the difference.

As for the plane of the neck, you might notice that my bridge has two knurled nuts, one on each side, that let you raise/lower the thing. This gives you a great amount of play in adjusting for the neck. What I did was at first just hold the neck to the body, flush, with a string in place loosely, and guestimate the right angle. I then used a router sled (box to sit the body in and hold the router on top of) to mortise out the neck cavity about halfway as deep as I wanted for final. I just cut the top of the sled to the guessed angle. Then I bolted the neck on with the standard 4 bolts, and put on strings to check. I just loosened the front/back bolts and put some metal shims under the neck in front/back to adjust the angle. Then I removed the neck, recut the router sled sides to this new angle, and mortised out almost to full depth. One more test/adjustment, and final depth cut. Ahh, you also asked--I didn't sculpt the BACK of the body, and I used that for all my reference , so mortising into the very slightly curved body at that end, sitting in a router sled, was a non-issue.

Remember, the strings don't actually have to be any particular height above the body--so long as you can adjust the bridge and pickups up high enough, you could bolt it right on TOP of the body! So a bridge with good play in it lets you compensate a lot.

As for the depth of the pickups--again, this is not really a big thing. The pickups have quite a wide range of adjustment, and usually they ride in a framework that is ALSO mounted into the mortise and has quite a bit of play in it's height. So long as you can get the pickups just under the strings but not every touching/buzzing, you're good. I think you'll find that you can pretty easily just eyeball it and be fine, once the neck and strings are in place.

Good luck, and thanks for the interest!

scott spencer
01-26-2008, 7:30 AM
Dave - That is some piece of work! The detail work is just incredible. Having built one guitar, it's hard to imagine doing all that inlay! Super job!

I will say that the guitar project was the most challenging to date. There are just so many aspects involved that go beyond woodworking. It made building a set of nightstands seem pretty anti-climatic in comparison! :D

Super job!

Bill - If you've got the urge, just go for it! It's really an adventure!

Bob Feeser
01-26-2008, 10:43 AM
I then used a router sled (box to sit the body in and hold the router on top of) to mortise out the neck cavity about halfway as deep as I wanted for final. I just cut the top of the sled to the guessed angle. Then I bolted the neck on with the standard 4 bolts, and put on strings to check. I just loosened the front/back bolts and put some metal shims under the neck in front/back to adjust the angle. Then I removed the neck, recut the router sled sides to this new angle, and mortised out almost to full depth. One more test/adjustment, and final depth cut.

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I created an Adobe PDF file so I could save it. Thanks again. The one thing that I am wondering is the above highlighted procedure. I am imagining that you have cut out pockets in a template for each of the openings, pickups, neck pocket etc. then using a template guide mounted on a router. I could see a router sled with 4 sides to it that would either cover over the entire guitar, then some method of holding the guitar under it still, or the sides of the sled rubbing up against it, or the body of the guitar still square as in pre cutting, then mate the sled tight up against it, but my vision was the template lays on top. I can see how a sled that you mention would eliminate the concern of using it on a sculpted top. Great idea.
Anyhow, you mentioned about adjusting the sides to allow for any angle adjustment, that is a great idea. Undercutting, checking, then adjusting the sides to the newly determined angle. That is some fine measuring because you are taking an angle measurement off of a very small area; the neck pocket, then transferring that to adjusting the "legs' / sides of the sled.
So as you can tell I am trying to figure this part all out.
The bridge does allow for adjustment, the pickups do allow for adjustment, but the head of the guitar, near the tuners referred to as the "nut" with the string guides hollowed out, should be in a true plane, but then again, I can see adjusting the depth of each string by how it is hollowed out, and the overall angle of the piece too. I love this stuff, figuring things out.
So don't feel funny elaborating on this, I appreciate the information.
What methods do you use to adjust the sled. Am I correct in that you make a box with one side missing to make the sled? How do you secure the guitar while routing? Whatever else you think is relevant. I have more questions about the neck making procedure. Step 1, 2, 3, etc. Routing out the cavity for the truss rod, capping it with rosewood or whatever. Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Dave MacArthur
01-26-2008, 8:39 PM
wow... a 7 pagagraph reply just got wiped out when I clicked a picture to check something before hitting "Post quick reply", and BACK gave me an empty message box :( Had the whole sled/neck/template thing, angle, etc..

I'll have to redo it, but don't have time just now--I do understand your questions, and had a good answer for you ;) Thx for your interest, I'll redo it later.

Jon Bonham
01-26-2008, 9:25 PM
wow... a 7 pagagraph reply just got wiped out when I clicked a picture to check something before hitting "Post quick reply", and BACK gave me an empty message box :( Had the whole sled/neck/template thing, angle, etc..

I'll have to redo it, but don't have time just now--I do understand your questions, and had a good answer for you ;) Thx for your interest, I'll redo it later.

Always Ctrl-A Ctrl-C before attempting such a bold maneuver. :D

Bob Feeser
01-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Always Ctrl-A Ctrl-C before attempting such a bold maneuver. :D

Another method is to periodically click on "Preview Post" then you are able to take the posted message, and right click, and "copy" that way you have it loaded if it goes away. I have had that happen to me a few times, at other places, and learned the hard way. John, I am curious about Ctrl-A, and Ctril-C what does that do? Save your work? Thanks ahead of time.
Fortunately here at SMC I have not had a problem with early server timeouts, when you try to submit your work, and it says you have to log back in, then when you do, your work is gone. That is the advantage of having a large site such as this one, and great server capacity. Keep them donations rolling. :D

Jon Bonham
01-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Another method is to periodically click on "Preview Post" then you are able to take the posted message, and right click, and "copy" that way you have it loaded if it goes away. I have had that happen to me a few times, at other places, and learned the hard way. John, I am curious about Ctrl-A, and Ctril-C what does that do? Save your work? How does that work? Thanks ahead of time.
Fortunately here at SMC I have not had a problem with early server timeouts, when you try to submit your work, and it says you have to log back in, then when you do, your work is gone. That is the advantage of having a large site such as this one, and great server capacity. Keep them donations rolling. :D
Ctrl-A - Select All
Ctrl-C - Copy

I've eliminated an entire step from your procedure. ;)

Jim Becker
01-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Wonderful work, Dave!

Bob Feeser
01-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Ctrl-A - Select All
Ctrl-C - Copy

I've eliminated an entire step from your procedure. ;)

Oh sure throw them keyboard shortcuts at me, I can take it. :D Just kidding, thanks for the tip. That is a time saver.
Nobody ever accused John of being out of control. (Now that is corny:))

This is an edit. You know how you wake up in the morning, and realize things.
The other reason why I prefer to hit the "Preview Post" button, then copy and paste is because then I am re-setting the server timeout. By just hitting Ctrl A and or C you are not registering in the server as a hit. Hits keep the connection alive. For those who are interested; Server resources are protected. One way of doing that is to minimize open connections that are no longer active. For example if someone just exits out of the forum, without logging out first, the server can read that as an open connection for a while longer. So a timeout setting is made. That is the period before the server closes a connection. Fortunately SMC has sufficient resources to handle the extra connections. I have been to other forums that purposely set there timeout for a short duration, in order to preserve what little resources they have, such as ram. So you are in the middle of a reply, you go to save, or preview, and you get a log in again request, now you have several steps. Unfortunately, if you make a mistake with a typo on your password, or other such input, other than jumping back in while the server is maintaining your request, then you come back in, and everything is gone. Of course your Ctrl A then C captures everything on your clipboard, so nothing is lost. That will work. But out of habit, I do it with the Preview step, so I do not have to determine, or should I say learn the hard way, what the server timeout is for that particular site. Your method is great for here at SMC because they have the longest timeout of any other forum I have visited. In other sites you incur additional steps to keep signing in. In the words of Mr Spock, "Fascinating"