PDA

View Full Version : square

Paul Dombroski
01-23-2008, 8:18 PM
Can anyone recommend a good 24" framing square? I see Lee Valley has one for about $ 60.00 While I am pertty sure I saw a starrett for around $ 20.00. Thanks in advance,
Paul

matt dumney
01-23-2008, 8:31 PM
check out the ones at woodpeckers.com. i asked a similar question and got some recommendations. this was one of them.

glenn bradley
01-23-2008, 9:15 PM
You can pick the Starrett up for $13 - http://www.toolbarn.com/product/starrett/FS-24/

I'm not sure how much better it is than any other. Starrett posts no particularly superior specs nor do they brag on the tool much. It is prbably jsut an average framing square. Lee Valley commands the higher price because they have made sure the sides are parallel and the variation over the length is superior to most.

It really depends if you're using this as a framing square or to replace smaller more specific squares in the shop. I have two BORG framers that I have tuned; one for the outside edge and one for the inside edge as the edges of the legs are far from parallel. These are for very general work and in no way replace the smaller tools that I use all the time.

matt dumney
01-23-2008, 9:17 PM
Thanks all!

I appreciate the information.