PDA

View Full Version : New treads and risers done (pics)

Dave Malen
01-23-2008, 6:45 PM
Finally done, New oak treads with birch veneer plywood risers. New newel posts installed. Couldn't believe all the staples the carpet guys used. Must have pulled out thousands. Used stain that matched the wood flooring and two coats of minwax poly. Thanks to James Phillips,Dustin Thompson, and Richard Wolfe for their advice in my previous post. and Thanks for looking

Dave

Dustin Thompson
01-23-2008, 6:52 PM
Looks like a million bucks, Dave! I like the cap detail on your newell post.

Satisfying work, for sure.

That last pic gives me vertigo if I look too long!

Dustin

Brodie Brickey
01-23-2008, 6:53 PM
Dave,

Looks fantastic. Let us know how the finish holds up.

Jim Becker
01-23-2008, 7:21 PM
That project turned out just great, Dave!

keith ouellette
01-23-2008, 7:23 PM
Looks wonderful. Did you make the posts? The flutes are a good look.

Richard Wolf
01-23-2008, 7:28 PM
Nice work, it looks great.

Richard

Grant Davis
01-23-2008, 7:29 PM
Very nice looking project. You should be very proud of that one.

Jay Brewer
01-23-2008, 7:39 PM
Great looking job Dave, I especially like the post caps

Dave Malen
01-23-2008, 8:37 PM
guys for the compliments.
Keith - I did design the newel posts myself. This was the first time I ever did any fluting. I used a router on a carriage to do it.

Dave

gary Zimmel
01-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Dave

First class looking project. It turned out great!

Alan Tolchinsky
01-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Dave, That's just a beautiful job you did there! I like the contrast between the risers and treads.

Matt Meiser
01-24-2008, 8:04 AM
Dave, that turned out great. I'd love to get more details on how you did the stairs as I've been thinking about a similar job on our stairs.

Dave Malen
01-24-2008, 8:33 AM
Matt,
First I removed the carpet and all the staples and tacks. Then I cut off the front of the treads even with the risers. I used a guided circular saw and a small hand saw. I imagine a sabre saw or sawsall could do the job as well.
I bought the risers at Lowes. They were 1 inch thick with a bullnose. I picked through the stack as some piece's grain was poorly matched. At my shop I used a dado set up 3/4 inch wide to thin the pieces to 9/16 inch thick. leaving about a 1/2 inch wide bullnose at the front.
The pieces were then finished with pittesburgh paint stain that is made especially to match Bruce hardwood flooring. I used satin poly so the treads would not be slippery
For the risers I used 3/4 thick birch veneer plywood. I cut it into 34 by 8 inch pieces and rolled on two coats of white semigloss with a 3/16 roller.
When all was dry. I installed the risers first. Nailing with 15 gauge nails top and bottom to hide them.
Then I applied a 3/4 by about 1 and 3/8ths tall ogee type molding to the top of the risers.
Next I installed the treads. I used a coating of PL adhesive to reduce squeeks and then put the treads on with 15 gauge nails. 3in front and 1 in the back.
I used 3/4 thick risers and molding to hide the cut out in the stringers left showing when the front of the rough tread was cut off.

hope this helps,
Dave