PDA

View Full Version : Central Electric Lathe: Worth Bothering?

Pat Germain
01-23-2008, 4:09 PM
A coworker knows I'm into woodworking and asked if I'd be interested in buying his Central Electric benchtop lathe for around $75. I've never worked with Harbor Freight tools because I was under the impression they typically aren't worth the trouble. However, $75 for a lathe seemed like a reasonable investment to try my hand at turning.

Yet, the Harbor Freight web site currently lists a bench top lathe for $89 new. Why are these things so cheap? Are they useless, or just not nearly as refined as more expensive models?

I'd appreciate any feedback from the turning community. I did some searching on this forum and didn't see any overall opinions on low-end lathes.

Thanks.

Marvin Hasenak
01-23-2008, 4:13 PM
My pennies worth of thoughts on Harbor Freight Lathes. If you buy the lathe buy a boat, you will have a good anchor. They are not worth 2 cents worth of opinion.

Marvin

Pat Germain
01-23-2008, 4:16 PM
Thanks, Marvin. It seems you are confirming what I suspected. I don't want to pay even $75 for an exercise in futility.

Bill Embrey
01-23-2008, 4:18 PM
Pat, if your learning experience with turning is on a bad lathe, your experience will always be bad... if you start with a known good quality lathe, then you know the bad part is all you ;) ... and then you work to make it good.

As anyone in this group will tell you, the lathe is cheapest part of turning you will invest in (until you get delirious and go buy the mustard monsters (powermatic)). My advice would be to invest the $250 to buy a Jet 1014 (what I have), or the little Rikon (what a good friend of mine has... and loves)... either of these machines will keep you busy for quite some time without a huge investment to see if it's even something your going to like (and of course you will and the slide down the very steep, slippery slope begins)

Gordon Seto
01-23-2008, 4:34 PM
Pat,

Run away as fast as you can. If that is the lathe that I have in mind, it is not good for anything. One of our Club member got it. He donated it to our Club. We couldn't auction it off for a dollar two years in a row. It was taking up the store room space. The owner took it back.
That lathe has a sheet metal head stock, very flimsy. The force required to hold the wood in place would cause the headstock to bend. The alignment was so poor, he couldn't even turn a pen.
The only lathe that HF carries that is marginally usable is the Jet 1236 clone which normally on sale for around $180. IMO, you will be better off getting a Jet mini lathe. A small capacity lathe of good quality is better than a mediocre big lathe.

David Wilhelm
01-23-2008, 4:57 PM
Last time we all told a guy what he should do when he ask. he went ahead with what he was doing before we spent all week telling him what to get. So here's my .02. Welcome to turning. Whatever you get you will find some joy in it. Be safe and keep your tools sharp :)..............Will

Robert McGowen
01-23-2008, 4:57 PM
"$75 for a lathe seemed like a reasonable investment to try my hand at turning." - famous last quote

Look at it this way:

Spend $75 and never get any money back no matter if you love or hate turning.

Spend $250 on a Jet mini and worse case scenario is you hate turning and sell it for $200+. Best case scenario is you love turning, sell the Jet for $200+ and then invest your life savings into larger and larger lathes, must have tools, and accessories that you don't even know exist right now.

I can even look into the future and show you how your life will look once you begin turning. It is a fun trip though! :D

Pat Germain
01-23-2008, 5:59 PM
I think I'm starting to see a trend here. :)

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to pass on this particular lathe. I still might take up turning. When I do, I'll start with a quality machine.

Also, I'll be sure have some cash for acessories. I've looked at the cutting tools for turning and they're pricey.

Benjamin Dahl
01-23-2008, 6:09 PM
Pat, you might want to also look for a local turning club where you could meet some people who have different lathes you could try. I know that not all places have turning clubs but it can't hurt to see if anything is around you.
Ben

robert hainstock
01-23-2008, 6:21 PM
there is only one HF lathe worth a moments consideration. the model 34706. Jet sells that same basic lathe for over $600. I have it and it does what I ask of it. I alSo believe this; buy the very best tool you can the first time, and you probably won't be disapointed. :)
Bob

Gordon Seto
01-23-2008, 6:39 PM
Pat,

You have a great Club in your back yard.
http://ppwoodturners.org/
Members do upgrade their lathes very often. You will find good deals there.

David Wilhelm
01-23-2008, 6:57 PM
Pat, I started out with a HF lathe had a ball with it. 300. on sale all the time for 199.00 tilt head 1236 jet copy. Mine gave trouble but i gave it a workout. I was lucky and sold it two weeks before the motor blew and the guy replaced it for 40+ bucks. I wish I would have got a mini to start with like the jet 1220 I'd still have it. I do think the getting a wooden box set of HF tools as a strt is a good idea for nothing else than learning how to sharpen them. I have a set and use a few of them very often. My set is stamped HSS take that for what it is worth but i have around 3.80 each in them I also have the 8.00 set and use two of those tool for lil things. you can always make other tools out of them. There is a good selection of used lathes aroudn guys are upgrading every day. just keep this in mind. I'd stay with #2 tapor. 1/8 thread on a mini. most of your large lathes will be that size or 1.25-8. good luck................. Will

Ron Ainge
01-24-2008, 4:06 PM
Pat

I live in the Denver area and I know some of the guys in the woodturning club in Colo. spring and they are good people. They also have a good club that meets at Woodcraft (I don't know about the day or time) you could find out about that form the store. If you can't find anything there that you are interested I have a good used full sized Delta lathe that I could be talked into parting with. The only reason I would part with it is I have two other lathes and I plan to get the mustard monster this spring.

Brodie Brickey
01-24-2008, 6:34 PM
I think I'm starting to see a trend here. :)

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to pass on this particular lathe. I still might take up turning. When I do, I'll start with a quality machine.

Also, I'll be sure have some cash for acessories. I've looked at the cutting tools for turning and they're pricey.

Pat,

In that area, the Benjamin Best or the Harbor Freight HSS tools are good places to start. $50 will get you a basic set of HF tools. ~$45 will get you a good bowl gouge from Benjamin Best.

There are some variables, but I think it was wood mag that had an article in the last 6 months on starting turning for $500.