PDA

View Full Version : What size Power Feeder

Rich Huhra
01-23-2008, 3:17 PM
I am thinking of adding a power feeder to my Grizzly 1035 shaper. It's a 1 1/2 HP shaper that I've been cutting raised panel on by hand and really don't feel safe. I work a lot with oak, cherry and walnut. The shaper is used a lot. Not having 3Phase power I guess I'm restricted on feeder size of 1 Phase. What would you guys recommend for a power feeder, how much HP, how many wheels. I like the Grizzly G1095 with 4 wheels and 1HP but is this overkill?

Thanks
Richard

Justin Bukoski
01-23-2008, 3:33 PM
I have that same shaper with the 1/4hp feeder and it does just fine. I do recommend the slower gears though.

That said, there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to a power feeder but you do need to consider the weight if you hook it to such a light machine or if you plan on using it on other tools like the jointer and need to move it.

Rich Huhra
01-23-2008, 3:50 PM
Strictly used for the shaper

Steve Clardy
01-23-2008, 3:53 PM
I have the 1/4 griz feeder on my 3hp powermatic shaper.
It handles stock well.

Jay Brewer
01-23-2008, 4:54 PM
I have a 4 wheel 1hp and it weighs #170, Im not sure if your shaper would be stable if you swung the feeder out to the side for freehand work, change cutters ect. I think the 1/4 hp is a more than capable feeder. I had one on a 2 hp Shop Fox shaper and it did a great job. The tires that come on these things are the problem, not the hp. They glaze over quickly and have to be sanded, or rubbed with thinner seems to work for a while.

I would buy the 1/4 hp and spend $50 extra on some good tires.

Chuck Burns
01-24-2008, 1:48 AM
My wife says overkill is my middle name. It must be as I just bought a 1 HP Steff Maggi 2038 CI for my 5 HP PM shaper. It's an 8 speed 3 wheel size but with tractor feed instead of wheels. So far I really like it. These tractor belts really grap the work. Western Roller selts kits to convert to tractor feed.

James Suzda
01-24-2008, 6:53 AM
I've got the Grizzly "baby feeder" on my 1 1/2 hp shaper and it leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to feeding the wood. If I had to do it again, I'd get the 1 HP model.

Kurt Bird
01-24-2008, 7:41 AM
Rich,
I have both, a 1/4 HP on my 1 1/2 HP Jet shaper, and a 1 HP on my 3 HP PM shaper. I would encourage you to get the 1 HP. Also, when you do your raised panels with the feeder, you can do them in two passes per side. Just hold the panel about 1/2" from the fence for the first pass, holding the panel straight with your hands. The second pass goes up against the fence. This has worked well for me, and it ends up giving a cleaner edge because the second pass is removing less wood than it would otherwise.
Kurt Bird

Doug Jones from Oregon
01-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I have a 4 wheel 1hp and it weighs #170, Im not sure if your shaper would be stable if you swung the feeder out to the side for freehand work, change cutters ect. I think the 1/4 hp is a more than capable feeder. I had one on a 2 hp Shop Fox shaper and it did a great job. The tires that come on these things are the problem, not the hp. They glaze over quickly and have to be sanded, or rubbed with thinner seems to work for a while.

I would buy the 1/4 hp and spend $50 extra on some good tires.

Jay, it would be my quess that rather than bad tires, your problem is not enough weight or hp in the feeder to move the material through consistantly, your wheels are spinning.

Jay Brewer
01-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Jay, it would be my quess that rather than bad tires, your problem is not enough weight or hp in the feeder to move the material through consistantly, your wheels are spinning.

That was some of the problem, but the tires on my 1 hp unit would spin also, After cleaning them or sanding them, they would work good for a half a day.I replaced the tires with new ones from Western Roller and have never had a problem since. Maybe your feeder came with better tires??