PDA

View Full Version : Marking knife gloat

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Before chastizing me for posting this here, there are two things to consider; First, there were some electrons used in the production of said piece. Secondly, I will be marking items for cutting with BOTH, hand and electrified tools! :D

That statement made, I can only apologize for the poor picture quality (I was in a hurry...). It does not do the knife justice! It is one I just received from our own, Dave Anderson. I just can't say enough about the quality and craftsmanship of this little piece! Exquisite to say the very least! The wood (Snakewood) is gorgeous and I only wish the picture would've shown that better. The finish is smooth as a baby's behind and the knife is honed to perfection! And then the man claims he's not a turner. Hrmph! That's a crock if ever I heard one! The turning is delicate yet substantial in one's hand. I'm almost (I said "almost") afraid to use it! I'm keeping it stored in one of my pen tubes with the knife in the provided foam pad and will probably modify the tube, so that it doesn't roll off the bench.

At any rate, my sincere "Thanks" to Dave for providing me with such a beautiful tool! (Uh, oh...The Neander side of me is showing... :rolleyes: ) FWIW, the entire transaction was totally and completely done in keeping with SMC's TOS and done off-line. Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

Bob Marino
03-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Wow, beautiful knife. Congrats!

Bob

Jim Becker
03-02-2004, 2:05 PM
Gorgeous. I though the Veritas marking knife I had was "nice"...this one makes mine look like something ordinary.

Mark Singer
03-02-2004, 3:46 PM
John,
Did he send you instructions? Where is the switch?:confused:

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 4:06 PM
John,
Did he send you instructions? Where is the switch?:confused:

Hmmmm...Good point! Looks like maybe it might take a AAA battery or thereabouts. :rolleyes: I did, however, figure out that even though both ends come to a point, you use the shiny side on the piece you're marking! :D Hey, that's progress, right? :cool:

Roger Myers
03-02-2004, 4:25 PM
Dave is luring you to the dark side with this .... that is the reason they are made with snakewood....the serpents power and influence...
luckily I have one of Dave's marking knives but from before the snakewood days, so I am reasonably safe...no wait, I'm already a fallen soul....
next thing you know you will be using hand planes, wooden molding planes, hand chopping mortises...it just gets worse you know.
be warned...
Roger

Chris Padilla
03-02-2004, 5:42 PM
I said it when Dave posted about them a couple weeks back and I'll say it again...spectacular work and I bet it even feels and works better! :)

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 6:36 PM
Dave is luring you to the dark side with this .... that is the reason they are made with snakewood....the serpents power and influence...
luckily I have one of Dave's marking knives but from before the snakewood days, so I am reasonably safe...no wait, I'm already a fallen soul....
next thing you know you will be using hand planes, wooden molding planes, hand chopping mortises...it just gets worse you know.
be warned...
Roger

Roger! Be still! Bad enough I caught the Spinny Thing Bug a while back! :D Sheeeesh...Give a guy a break, already. :cool:

Chris Pasko
03-02-2004, 9:12 PM
Man that thing is beautiful! Where can I pick one up at?

Tyler Howell
03-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Man that thing is beautiful! Where can I pick one up at?

Chris,
We haven't heard from you for a while. How's that shop coming. Any new Toyls?;)

Chris Pasko
03-03-2004, 1:01 AM
Chris,
We haven't heard from you for a while. How's that shop coming. Any new Toyls?;)

Been pretty wrapped up recently with real estate, so the shop hasn't move along much =(. I am still fighting with what I am going to do with the floor.

I finally just got my bench dog router table/lift setup (2 month back order). I also received a whole lot of small odds and ends, lv scraper plane and spoke shaves, marking knife, ln dovetail saw/block plane...well a whole lot of little odds and ends =). Will be placing another order shortly for a bunch more small stuff =), and considering a 38" double drum woodmaster sander shortly. Getting there, slowly, but surely, now if I can get my darn garage up and running =).

John Miliunas
03-03-2004, 7:43 AM
Been pretty wrapped up recently with real estate, so the shop hasn't move along much =(. I am still fighting with what I am going to do with the floor.

I finally just got my bench dog router table/lift setup (2 month back order). I also received a whole lot of small odds and ends, lv scraper plane and spoke shaves, marking knife, ln dovetail saw/block plane...well a whole lot of little odds and ends =). Will be placing another order shortly for a bunch more small stuff =), and considering a 38" double drum woodmaster sander shortly. Getting there, slowly, but surely, now if I can get my darn garage up and running =).

Get your garage up and running?! Chris, you keep this up, you ain't a' gonna' have ROOM in your garage! :D And talk about a WHOLE bunch of stealth gloats! :mad: Pictures, man. We *need* pictures! Hey, and congrats on all your new acquisitions! Good luck with the real estate dealings, as well. :cool:

Mark Singer
03-03-2004, 9:16 AM
Chris,
Don't forget to make somtin' ... You got a lot of great stuff quick! Took me a long time....

Chris Padilla
03-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Chris,

with all your tools...I wouldn't know where to start. It would take me a year just to build enough storage to get to the point where you could build REAL things! hahaha...I am envious of your problem, however.... hehehe

Greg Wandless
03-03-2004, 10:59 AM
John,

Sweet knife. Like Chris said "where can I pick one up?" DOn't hold out on us now!

Greg

Chris Pasko
03-03-2004, 6:24 PM
=), thanks guys....I really do need to get to making something, I just cant work when I have stuff everywhere, I am a neat freak.

If I get a chance I will snap some shots tonight of the new goodies.

Now for the marking knife, how do I add it to my collection =), I love snake wood, pretty interesting how they cut it to 3' lengths to carry it out of the jungle on their backs.

Chris Padilla
03-03-2004, 7:18 PM
check your PM, Chris.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Lookie what arrived a couple days ago here in sunny California!!

:D :D :D :D

John Miliunas
03-10-2004, 1:02 PM
Lookie what arrived a couple days ago here in sunny California!!

:D :D :D :D

...Mine is nicer than youuuuuuurs is. Mine is nicer than youuuuuurs is. Mine is...... :D OK, maybe not. Beautiful piece, ain't it?! :cool:

Chris Padilla
03-10-2004, 1:37 PM
Yes, It has inspired me to try and pick up some snakewood and make a box of some kind for it. Expensive wood that snakewood...sigh. The prices on eBay are crazy but I'm trying. :)