PDA

View Full Version : Which Hollowing System

Hilel Salomon
01-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Long ago, I bought the McNaughton, but I've never used it. It really is cumbersome to put it on the lathe. I've seen where many of you praise one system over another. I know that there are: Oneway, Scorpion, Jamieson, Elbo and Monster in addition to the McNaughton and wondered-since my credit card itch is alive, which one you all recommend? I've seen Jamieson's at the Louisville show and it seemed pretty nice, but I'm intrigued by the Monster. Hope to hear from users.
Regards, Hilel.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2008, 1:23 PM
Hilel I have the monster system and like it. It comes with all the bells and whistles complete. It is a nice rugged unit. Randy also has another one like the elbow that I am looking at since all my accessories for the monster will fit it. All I would need is the basic unit. I talked with another turner that bought one and he has both hollowing systems. He likes the elbow one better because of the smooth running bearings in it. He said it is a lot easier to manuver than the captured rig. You might want to give that a look see. Don't get me wrong I do like my monster rig.

David Walser
01-23-2008, 1:33 PM
Hiel,

It might be helpful if you were to describe the types of hollowing projects you are considering turning. Different systems work better in different situations. Here are some general comments:

Smaller projects (like Christmas tree ornaments) can, in general, be done with hand held tools. (An obvious exception would be for a turner with arthritis, or some other condition, who could not tolerate the extra stress associated with hand held hollowing.) Hand held tools have the advantage of taking virtually no "set up" time. Besides, some think "real turners" use hand held tools.

As a general rule, articulated arm systems, like the Elbo Tool, take up more room on the lathe bed than do captured tool systems. For this reason, the captured tool systems may be able to handle deeper hollowing than articulated arm systems. This may or may not be a limiting factor for you. If you have a full size lathe (or a mini with a bed extension), the reach over the tool rest will likely come into play before the extra room taken up an articulated arm system causes problems. (With either type of hollowing system, you can only reach so far over the tool rest before vibration makes hollowing difficult. Increasing the diameter of the hollowing bar is the way to get greater reach.)

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2008, 2:22 PM
Hilel - I have the Monster captured rig system and love it! Randy makes great tools! His Articulating Arm hollowing system looks like the next evolution in hollowing systems and is extremely smooth to use because of bearings. I was able to check one out in person this past October at Randy's shop and the word smooth is an understatement! Like Bernie - I know a few folks that have the both systems and now prefer the arm over their captured rig. I like the idea of smooth... so I ordered one. Once I get it and have had a chance to play with it I'll let everyone know how well it works.

Bob Hallowell
01-23-2008, 2:28 PM
Steve what did Randy charge for just the arm, as I have his captured system which I love

Bob

Burt Alcantara
01-23-2008, 2:41 PM
I've got the Monster Articulated Arm on order. I'll report on it as soon as it arrives. Randy said it will easily fit my Nova 1624 without the need for a bed extension unless I want to keep the tailstock on with the arm.

BTW, there is the Kobra articulated arm system. There was a discussion about this tool at the AAW forum site. I went with the Monster because it was half the price and had more cutters.

I don't think any of the tools mentioned in this thread are bad...just different. The articulated arm system(s) appear to be the next generation of captured systems.

Burt

Hilel Salomon
01-23-2008, 3:56 PM
Thank you all. David's right... I didn't say what I wanted to do. I've made lots and lots of bowls... mostly medium to relatively large, but I'd like to make medium to large hollow forms, or at least try. I've got a pm 3520 and Nova DVR XP and absolutely no talent. The system therefore has to accommodate clumsy ineptitude.
Hilel.

Reed Gray
01-23-2008, 4:02 PM
I have the McNaughton system, and bought it after a friend said here, try this. Hand held, it is a sore arm experience, especially if you are coring more than about 4 to 6 inches off the tool rest. I did a captured system that holds the McNaughton, and that makes it a lot better. I felt I could hollow faster with the Mc, than with other systems I have used. I may have to give the Monster a try. Sounds really nice.

I don't have a tool buying problem. Well, not really.

robo hippy

robert hainstock
01-23-2008, 4:12 PM
All thoses HFs that Steve S is making are with the monster. I cannot imagine one being eisier to operate than that one. the attached pix is of his monster.:):)
Bob

Bill Wyko
01-23-2008, 5:56 PM
I have the Clark and I give it a A++++++ this is one heavy duty bad boy. I Hollowed the vessel I call Monsoon with this. Monsoon is 22 inches deep.

Brian McInturff
01-23-2008, 6:17 PM
I second the vote on the Keith Clark system. Very, very welll engineered. Smoothest movements I've seen on a system. Brian

Hilel Salomon
01-25-2008, 5:01 PM
Thanks again for all of your advice. I'm leaning toward the Monster system because... push comes to shove it is a bit less expensive, and it seems as highly recommended as the Clark. I may wait until Richmond to see them in action, but it depends on how much debt I get into until then ( the bigger the debt, the more I generally defy it by buying more things).
As usual, advice always welcome.
Hilel