PDA

View Full Version : Oval Skew Users.....

David Wilhelm
01-23-2008, 11:35 AM
To the few and far between, How do you guy sharpen your oval skews? I have always hand dressed mine with a diamond stone. I have messed around with a couple old skews and my jig and just didn't like what I was doing to them on the stone. With the flat rest I could get what I wanted. Long story short my chuck MOVED up and hit my tool!!! Pretty much I've got garbage now so I'm going to have to use the grinder now for sure. I'm still working on the the old grain wheel spoke as well. I found one that i think will make a skew. It may be something worth practicing with.

Bill Stevener
01-23-2008, 2:04 PM
Hi David,
Although you don't see or hear it mentioned very often, I use the TruGrind system for redressing all of my turning tools. I find it is the only system that will reestablish the factory grinds if you wish or will regrind what ever one has established, if you record the settings. It does an outstanding job on my oval skews.
Takes a minute or two to set up, but the best all around system that I know of. ;)

Grey Hackle
01-23-2008, 7:17 PM
I sharpen mine on a disc sander. Turns out that the manufacturer recommends this technique. I went to a demonstration by a Sorby rep. and told him I sharpened on the disc sander, and he said that was one of the best ways.