PDA

View Full Version : Turned Corian Bowl ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-02-2004, 10:55 AM
I finally got caught up on the work assignment and got some time in the shop this morning. I turned a dozen pens for the Freedom Project and, since I'd glued up some corian for pens, I thought I'd play with a piece. Here is a small bowl I turned. It's pretty small, but gives me an idea of what I can do on a larger scale with bigger pieces of glued up corian material. I have an "unlimited" supply from a local cabinet maker. It's fun to turn and, imagine, not one catch! Thanks for looking, have fun, and be safe.

Ron

Jim Becker
03-02-2004, 11:25 AM
That's very cute! 'Kinda reminiscent of alabaster or other stone turnings. Of course, it could be the start of a new line of custom chamber pots for doll houses... :D

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 11:41 AM
That is very neat, Ron! Two questions, though: 1) What method did you use for glue-up? 2) How do you chuck them up? You have one of those mini collets or what? Very interesting! I'll bet you didn't use your 1/2" bowl gouge on it either, did 'ya?! :cool:

03-02-2004, 12:46 PM
That is very neat, Ron! Two questions, though: 1) What method did you use for glue-up? 2) How do you chuck them up? You have one of those mini collets or what? Very interesting! I'll bet you didn't use your 1/2" bowl gouge on it either, did 'ya?! :cool:

It was fun to do ... I used the medium CA glue, clamped very tightly, overnight. Actually, it was two days, since I put them together Sunday afternoon. I used my Stronghold chuck, turned the bottom end, finished it, then reversed it, started a center with my 1/4 gouge and hollowed it out with a small scraper. Beautiful shavings and easy to do. Showed my turning neighbor and his wife ... and she wants a tea set for their grandaughter. I told him I'd explain to him how I glued it up, the turning was up to him. Since my pieces are 1/2" thick, I glued up seven pieces 6"X6" today to make something out of. I want to do a small bowl with a light strip at the rim on one.

Rob Littleton
03-02-2004, 3:16 PM
You know, I am pretty new to this turning stuff but that sure looks like a quarter to me.........oh, the one on the left you made....sorry

Jason Roehl
03-02-2004, 6:34 PM
You know, I am pretty new to this turning stuff but that sure looks like a quarter to me.........oh, the one on the left you made....sorry

Rob, I'll trade you all my quarters for all the coins you have that look like the one in that pic! :D (By my reckoning, that's a half-dollar.) :cool:

Don't worry, I had to check a quarter myself--I did a double-take on it.

Jim Becker
03-02-2004, 6:36 PM
Rob, I'll trade you all my quarters for all the coins you have that look like the one in that pic! (By my reckoning, that's a half-dollar. Don't worry, I had to check a quarter myself--I did a double-take on it.

Your attention to detail is why we like you to make the beer...good catch! :eek:

03-02-2004, 6:45 PM
Rob, I'll trade you all my quarters for all the coins you have that look like the one in that pic! :D (By my reckoning, that's a half-dollar.) :cool:

Don't worry, I had to check a quarter myself--I did a double-take on it.

I'll trade you all of my half-dollars for any you have like this one ... it's actually an Eisenhower Silver Dollar from 1971. The half-dollar has Kennedy in profile. I know you guys are young, but ... jeez ... come on. They haven't been out of circulation that long! I wanted something to show the size ... but I guess I should have went with something more common ... maybe a dollar bill next time.

Rob Littleton
03-02-2004, 7:58 PM
Hey, Im from out of town (England) so I can be wrong and get away with it.........Y'all should've been able to identify that......Heck, II'm still trying to speak the American language......that sure is a neat bowl anyways. So, for the naive, how big is the bowl?

thanks

Todd Burch
03-02-2004, 8:15 PM
Hey, I knew it was Eisenhower - but I thought it was a dime! I was thinking it was pretty SMALL bowl - and was impressed! Now, knowing it is a silver dollar - humbug.

JUST KIDDING!! Cool bowl! (thimble..?)

Todd

Chris Padilla
03-02-2004, 9:09 PM
Rob,

I think a silver dollar is like about a 1.25-1.5" in diameter.

Stan Smith
03-03-2004, 1:32 PM
Well, you are sure one lucky dude to get all the corian! I bought some from this outfit in New York for an entry table . I did get a 20"x40" piece from a local cabinet shop once and they charged me $143 for it! Used it to replace the tiled corners on our spa.

Stan