PDA

View Full Version : Braille for injured Veteran

Jody Malinich
01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Gals and gals....you too Keith,

I've just been contacted by a group of Navy guys that have a senior chief that has been injured in Iraq and is going to be medically retired. His loss of sight is permanent. Doing the chest up is no problem but wanted to see if you all had the Braille and any ideas that we could laser into the chest lid just to give him a kickstart as he moves forward in life with the loss of his sight.

Gratefully

Jody

Scott Shepherd
01-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Jody, can you explain the chest. I'm not familiar with it. Understanding what you mean might allow us to help better.

Jody Malinich
01-23-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll do a picture. These guys are 18" X 30" and the lid is totally flat. Mybe what I am looking for is to engrave into the tops edge. The "trim" around the maple insert.

Sandra Force
01-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Is the design engraved in or printed on the wood? If it could be engraved in he would be able to "see" it and then you could add what you wanted to the trim pieces. Are the chests already assembled or does someone make them up special? It would be easy to engrave a special message for each individual if you could do just the top and or trim piece before assembly.

Keith Outten
01-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Jody,

I can certainly provide any kind of Braille service you need for your project. I could engrave The Sailor's Prayer in Braille on Corian and you can inlay it in the box top...and I can send you a router template custom made for the inlay.

Whatever you need just let me know, I would like to contribute.

Jody Malinich
01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks all!

We make these chests in-house and do have a laser engraver (epilog). Do not know how much engraving these guys are wanting, but I would like to be prepared to engrave what ever they come up with. I guess a tutorial on Braille and best way to get a good "read" from the engraving.

Keith, I may take you up on the corian idea, maybe just a full blown plaque to give him as a little thank you for his sacrafice. Let me know what'll cost including shipping to 20653.

Scott Shepherd
01-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Jody, you can download a font called "braille" and it'll get you started down the right path. You'll then need to take the text you want to engrave and convert it to what's called "Grade II Braille". There are a number of people who can do that for you, including me. In fact, give me the text you want and I'll send you the braille back. You can then raster the holes anywhere you want.

You can then buy 1/16" clear acrylic balls from McMaster Carr for about $6.00 (plus shipping) for 500 of them. Apply the glue in the holes and then push the balls into the holes and let the glue dry. You're done.

Might be a little challenge on the wood, since the grain will make the depth vary, but I'm sure you can work around it.

If there's anything I can help with, just let me know.

In fact, let me know and I'll send the braille for you to use, and then send some of the acrylic balls for you to try.

Scott Shepherd
01-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Another option (which may or may not work depending on the grain) is to do it the old way, and create the balls and leave them raised, then engrave all around them, recessing all behind the balls. Taking the dots and making them grayscale with shading and using the 3D driver might give you a decent look.

Then it would be built into the box and all wood. But, that's probably very grain specific. I can see Oak being a problem, as the area between the grain tends to burn a lot deeper than the grain itself. If you have a good, tight grained wood, you might get a nice effect doing it this way.

I can give you the braille file to try that on as well. Just let me know the text.

Garry McKinney
01-23-2008, 1:58 PM
Jody,
Did they ask for braille? The reason I am asking is there are many different types. They have no set standard for braille. Depending on where or with whom he trains, the braille may never be readable.

I know we assume it is a standard it isn't. I work with Ron Davidson who is a blind woodcarver who reads braille but only one of the 6 types.

Garry

AL Ursich
01-23-2008, 2:26 PM
Jody,

I am a Retired Navy Chief and would have been honored to get such a masterpiece. I saved pictures of your chest, it is simply fantastic piece of art.
I am moving in that direction with my business and would love to make a quality piece like that.

Thanks,

AL

Pocono Digital Woodshop
Shohola, PA 18458

Epilog Laser Engraver, Sears Compucarve, Star 912 Rotary, Sublimation, Vinyl. Tourist products and more.

WOW!!!! What an exciting Website..... That's what I want to be when I grow up...... Nice Product Line.

Mike Null
01-23-2008, 3:52 PM
Jody

My compliments on your web site and work. Thanks to Al for pointing it out.

Here it is. http://www.outdoors-n-more.com/outdoor_furniture/

Jody Malinich
01-23-2008, 4:28 PM
Thanks to all. I'll get with the guys and see what kind of start he has with reading and what type he is learning, I don't want something that he won't be able to read. Depending on what they want I may be able to engrave right on the maple. I've got some time to play with so I have room to experiment.

Al,
I retired a few years ago and now am doing this full time. We did about 25 of these last year and already have 10 to make this year. We bought the engraver specifically to enhance these chests. We were using a local source for the engraving but getting time was tough and if we goof at least here at the shop we can run it through the drum and start again. Now don't you be taking all my business from me.:D I've had a hard time keeping up with them and now have started making extras as I'm making the ones ordered, but they seem to fly out the door.
I have parts four of them in my living room and about 30 of them rough cut out in the shop.
Jody

Keith Outten
01-23-2008, 8:00 PM
Jody,

For a wounded Veteran I will donate my services and provide shipping.

Scott Shepherd
01-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Jody, here's a quick example. I need to play with the shading a little to get the very top engraving a little more, but here's the concept.

Only issue with any braille is that I don't think you'll have room to do much. Braille can take up a lot of room quickly. Just a couple of words can be 10 inches long, depending on the words.

Jody Malinich
01-24-2008, 3:13 PM
Scott,

That looks awesome, I'm thinking I could inlay his name into the front side of the chest.

Keith,

Thank you! I'll let you know.

Mike,
Thanks for the kind words, I enjoyed my career in the Navy and get great satisfaction seeing the faces of those who recieve a shadow box at thier ceremony. We actually get invited to quite a few and try and make every one.
Just my way of giving back to those who deserve more than they get.

Jody

Steve knight
01-25-2008, 1:48 AM
He may never read braille. one thing that would work is raised letters they can be felt and read.

Frank Corker
01-25-2008, 5:27 AM
"Just my way of giving back to those who deserve more than they get"

Jody,

The box is a fantastic tribute, it looks like the type of thing that all retiring servicemen should receive, it's definitely a winner in my opinion. Excellent work and I know that the person who receives this is going to have a problem keeping his eyes dry.

Jody Malinich
02-11-2008, 4:01 PM
Seems the gentleman has refused to learn at this point. I want to thank everyone who took the time and effort to lend a hand on this endeavor. Hopefully in the future he will come to grips with this and begin learning. For now we are just going to engrave in a simple font that he can feel.

Jody

Garry McKinney
02-11-2008, 7:28 PM
Jody,

Most schools are teaching tatical form now. Basically raised lettering and picture forms.

I have a friend that lost his eyesight , it takes time to adjust. This is a woodcarving my friend did. He has no sight but it is amazing what they can do if they set mind to doing so.