PDA

View Full Version : tried to turn hickory

William Nimmo
01-23-2008, 7:39 AM
I wanted to make some bun feet for a wall unit and glued up some hickory and mahogony on the flat. Got it round on the band saw and then started to turn it.
Hole crap that stuff doesn't cut. The mahogany that is sandwiched in was no problem.
I ended up using my 4 inch grinder instead of a bowl gouge and that helped get somewhat the shape I wanted without tearout and within a reasonable time.

robert hainstock
01-23-2008, 8:19 AM
I have never turned hickory, but I have turned other very hard woods, Apricot for one. The only way to cut it was light cuts with a scraper. Verey frustrating. :eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Glenn Hodges
01-23-2008, 11:34 AM
William, I have turned a lot of hickory, and its cousin, pecan. I use a 5/8 gouge, and keep it sharp. I only turn the hickory and pecan wet. Was yours wet?

David Wilhelm
01-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Spray bottle. water and dawn, turn the water alil darker that sky blue with the dawn. Spray,soak, turn and cut,Spray, soak, turn and cut, spray, soak, turn and cut, spray, soak, turn and cut, . You may want to cover things as this will sling off as it spins. Wear a face shield. Oil works ( min. veg. ect.) too but doesn't spray unless you dilute it. I just like the soapy water come out of my clothes easy LOL

William Nimmo
01-23-2008, 7:02 PM
Not even close to wet. kiln dried and left over from an old project.
I will try the spray bottle, but I know that is not like wet/green wood.
What was going to be an afternoon has turned into a several day project.
Is'nt that always the way.
I am just glad this is for me and not a customer.

Glenn Hodges
01-24-2008, 10:00 AM
If I had read your post again I would have realized you would have not been gluing up green wood, sorry for my illconceived post. Good luck at turning that dry stuff. Only very very sharp tools will do the trick.