PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Joe Chritz
01-23-2008, 6:36 AM
I have a lathe coming in the next few days. Since the father unit picked up a 4th axis for his CNC this one just collects dust.

Anyone suggest a good book for starting out? I am looking at doing a few spindles (table legs) and probably some bowls.

Currently I don't know enough to operate it without supervision and would like to get started and not leave any holes I didn't have when I started.

Thanks

Joe

Gordon Seto
01-23-2008, 7:37 AM
Joe,

Find a local club if you can.
AAW Local Chapter Listing - The American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List)
You can borrow books, dvds for free. And most likely they have hands-on mentoring program for free or next to free. The membership is usually $20 to $25 a year, barely enough to buy a hard cover book.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2008, 9:38 AM
Joe I would suggest Woodturning by Richard Raffan which is a book and video which is excellent and another book by Keith Rowley called Woodturning: A Foundation Course. Both are excellent starter books and do like Gordon said join a turning club.

Pete Jordan
01-23-2008, 9:57 AM
Hi Joe,

I live in Mason which is not too far. If you would like to come down sometime I would be happy to give you an into. My garage is heated so it wouldn't be too cold. Let me know if you are interested.

Joe Chritz
01-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks Pete, I may take you up on that after I am set up and running. I am finishing a kitchen currently and when that is done plan on setting up the lathe and trying four legs for a coffee table project.

I get down that way once and a while. The Sheriff Department there loans out a seat belt simulator that I used to go get several times a year.

I have a friend here who will do some work with me as well, but it is always good to get additional info where possible.

Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Joe I'd recommend as Bernie did......a book ....Woodturning - A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley.....and any of the Richard Raffan videos.