PDA

View Full Version : SPLASH!!!!.....first bowls in dna!

Brad Hammond
01-23-2008, 1:52 AM
i picked up a couple of gallons of dna the other day and soaked my first bowls today. knocked out a sycamore and walnut bowl. i'll let you know in a couple of weeks now they turn out!!!

kinda makes me feel like i'm hittin the big time. :D

Robert McGowen
01-23-2008, 2:06 AM
kinda makes me feel like i'm hittin the big time. :D

More like falling down the slope! :eek:

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2008, 9:39 AM
Yep he stepped on the banana peel didn't he Robert. I let my bowls dry about 3 weeks before returning them to the lathe.

Steve Campbell
01-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Brad I went HF and bought a cheap postal scale. After I rough turn a bowl I just put it away for a couple weeks. Then I start weighing it everyday. When it stops loosing weight it is ready to turn. Works for me.

Steve

Jake Helmboldt
01-23-2008, 1:48 PM
How'd you extract your DNA?:eek:

Seriously, I've seen this reference to DNA; what the heck is it?

Bill Embrey
01-23-2008, 1:56 PM
De-natured Alcohol.... my understanding is that it is pure alcohol with an additive to make it "un-consumable"...

Allen Schmid
01-23-2008, 1:58 PM
denatured alcohol...I believe
I am so close to giving this a try, I have always just turned wet and thin, then let things dry as they would but the ability to rough turn a bowl then soak, let dry for a few, three, short weeks and be able to finish turn sounds so inviting....
I'll let you know when I start and thanks for all the great advise from everyone out there.
Allen

Brad Hammond
01-23-2008, 2:41 PM
jake, here's what i'm doing. although i'm not weighing them yet ( which is the right way to do it) i'm just kind of experimenting right now.

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/turning/articles_337.shtml

i had to search for "alcohol" here for some info. i couldnt get a search for "dna".