PDA

View Full Version : George Nakashima sitting bench on Antique Road Show

Bill Wyko
01-23-2008, 1:41 AM
I recently watched a documentary on George Nakashima. In his life he built some amazing furniture and art. As soon as I watched it, I had put on Antique Road show and low and behold, someone brought in a sitting bench he had made along with Georges drawing he had done for the customer. It was purchased in 1971 for 375 dollars. They estimated its value now at 45,000.00 dollars. Not a bad return for the investment. Great job George, RIP 1905-1990:)

Mike Null
01-23-2008, 6:49 AM
Saw the show. As I recall FWW had an article a few years ago on GN and a bench like that was featured and it was said that he built it for one of Nelson Rockefeller's homes.

Scott Rader
01-23-2008, 9:35 AM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200701A02.html

Jim Becker
01-23-2008, 9:49 AM
A local auction house, Rago in Lambertville NJ, does a lot of Nakashima pieces in their "modern" shows. It's pretty incredible at the appreciation most pieces have had. There are also a lot of folks in this area who have Nakashima pieces in their homes, especially older folks who were around earlier in his career. I wish I could afford even one small piece as I have a great appreciation for his work. I live about 6 miles as the crow flies from the Nakashima studios and have had the pleasure of the "full" tour thanks to a fund-raiser by the James W Michener Art Museum (Doylestown PA). To not just see, but actually fondle Georges wonderful work is always a great experience for anyone that appreciates fine woodworking.

julie Graf
01-23-2008, 10:04 AM
carnegie mellon university (in pittsburgh, pa) has a number of pieces in use at the university, and recently had a show to highlight the pieces, i'm not sure if it is still going on...

Bill Wyko
01-23-2008, 10:52 AM
I understand his daughter still carries on the legacy of his work. He was a man with a deep understanding of every grain of a piece of wood and what to do with every grain.

Hank Knight
01-23-2008, 11:00 AM
The Michener Museum in New Hope, PA, Geroge Nakashima's home, has several of his pieces, including a bench very similar to the one on Antiques Road Show. His work is amazing. I wish I had purchased several of his pieces 30 years ago. I wouldn't be as worried about the stock market as I am on the eve of retirmement.

George Morris
01-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Our woodturing group [DelVal woodturners]. did a tour last year at the Nakashima workshops outside of New Hope PA. We had a great visit with a very very nice family. The tour was done by Mira Nakashima and her brother Kevin. They were by far a very nice hosts to our tour.

The setting for their family workshop and houses are fantastic.The work they do is fantastic.The wood storage is amazing!! The most important part of the tour was how they made us feel at home with them. They are a credit to the memory of George Nakashima. I would highly recommend a group tour if you live in this area. George