PDA

View Full Version : My Granddaughters Cradle

Donald Price
01-23-2008, 1:09 AM
This is the cradle I just completed for our first grandchild. The wood is quarter sawn white oak and it was assembled using mortis and tenon throughout. The tenon wedges are ebony and pink ivory. The bottom is alder that I cut into tongue and grove. The design is my own with many borrowed concepts. It’s suspended with hidden bearings inside both the uprights and cradle. The bottom horizontals are locked in place with pink ivory wedges. It’s finished with traditional mission with a slight cherry tint and followed by three coats of urethane. This is by far the most complex project I’ve tackled to date requiring many traditional skills that I just didn’t have starting out. It’s been very satisfying and has allowed me to consider more challenging projects. For the moment though I’m happy to be turning again.

Gary Breckenridge
01-23-2008, 1:23 AM
:)It is always nice to see heirloom quality work.:D

FRITZ STOOP
01-23-2008, 1:24 AM
Don,
That cradle is simply beautiful.
I just found out I'm gonna be a grandpa in August.
I was thinking of building a crib.
But now that Ive seen your cradle, a cradle it is!
Bravo!

gary Zimmel
01-23-2008, 1:40 AM
Don

Now thats a craddle!

I to am going to be a grandpa this June.
Mission style furiture is my favorite but I have not seen anything that really caught my eye. (well not until now)
Hope you don't mind if I borrow your design.

Excellent workmanship!

David Tiell
01-23-2008, 6:53 AM
Beautiful work!

Mike Null
01-23-2008, 6:53 AM
Now you've gone and done it! You will never hear the end of special requests from the family.

Great job!

Mike McCann
01-23-2008, 7:10 AM
WOW very nice. Your granddaughter going to sleep very well in that.

Sean Kinn
01-23-2008, 7:18 AM
Looks great! When you say "traditional Mission" for the finish are you refering to satin, dye or fuming?

Greg Cole
01-23-2008, 9:16 AM
I don't usually have much to say about a cradle, not sure why, just me.:confused:
But that is very, very nice. Nice execution, nice choice of wood-style-finish... ok, all around well done!

Greg

Thom Sturgill
01-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Beautiful piece, well done. I like the wedged tenons, and the overall design.

Did you fume the piece? I don't hear many say they did, usually they use stain to get the approximate color of the craftsman era oak, which I believe was generally tented in ammonia fumes.

Jim Becker
01-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Wonderful work, Don. An that QS white oak is outstanding!

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-23-2008, 4:13 PM
Very nice Donald, It will last a long time and be enjoyed by generations!

Bruce