PDA

View Full Version : Topeka, KS

Don Abele
01-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Any Creekers or significant woodworking places to visit in Topeka? I will be heading out there next week (28 Jan - 01 Feb). Googled it and it looks like a pretty quiet area. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have some free time in my schedule, so figured I'd query the general populace here for recommendations.

So what say ye ?

Be well,

Doc

Matt Meiser
01-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Quiet pretty much describes it as I remember it when I visited my brother when he was living there about 8 years ago. IIRC, Kansas City is about an hour drive (but then again its been 8 years and KC is a big city so it depends on where you want to go I guess.) There's a few creekers that live there.

Andy Haney
01-23-2008, 7:43 AM
I think Topeka is limited on woodworking stores, but KC has several. I frequent Woodcraft and Overland Tool Company. If you're interested, the Woodworking Show is scheduled in KC Feb 1-3.

Andy Haney

Steve Roxberg
01-23-2008, 8:26 AM
Yep, Topeka is quiet but as others have said Overland Park about one hour away has the two stores.

Let me know when you are in the neighborhood we could meet for dinner or at one of the stores.

Derek Jones
01-23-2008, 8:59 AM
Not much in the way of woodworking in Topeka. There is a sawmill just to the west in Belvue. Great guys and very good prices but, it would probably be tough to get their curly maple in your carry on. If you haven't been to the area before it is probably worth taking a drive to Manhattan (45 minutes away) and seeing the flint hills and Konza Tallgrass Prairie. It is the countries largest tall grass prairie. The rolling prairie is beautiful. If you make it to Manhattan, Kansas State University has a very nice campus with great architecture (go wildcats, yes I am an alumni). As others have said the KC area has a few places. In north Kansas City is Liberty Hardwoods. It is an unbelievable facility, they supply wood to pro shops in the midwest.
I hope this helps.
Derek

Don Abele
01-23-2008, 5:49 PM
Matt, I'm flying into KC it's 68 miles to the hotel.

Andy, I fly out the morning of the 1st - just missed out on that one.

Derek, those sound like some good places to check out for the tourist aspect. Of course you can tell it's a quiet area when tall grass is a tourist attraction - around here it's a sign of someone on vacation (or with a broken mower) :p

I'm in the area as part of an educational outreach program we have for the ship. We (me and 10 crew members) will be giving classroom presentations at 8 different middle schools. I'm giving lectures Tues/Wed/Thurs to civic organizations throughout the area. We have a large public presentation on Thursday night at the Kansas State Historical Society (http://www.kshs.org/calendar/sitesearch.php?site=kmh). I leave on Friday, but the crew stays all weekend to continue doing presentations at the KSHS.

If those of you in the area are up for a get together on either Tuesday or Wednesday night I sure I could "sneak" away from the other activities planned in the evening. Let me know if you're interested.

Be well,

Doc

Matt Meiser
01-23-2008, 6:53 PM
In KC, one cool place to check out is the Steamboat Arabia museum. It displays the contents of a steamboat that sank in the Missouri River in the 1800's. Later the river changed course and a group dug it out of some farmer's field. Its pretty amazing how good of shape many of the contents were found in.

Woodmaster, the planer/sander/molder people, are there too.

M. A. Espinoza
01-23-2008, 9:24 PM
If you make it to Manhattan, Kansas State University has a very nice campus with great architecture (go wildcats, yes I am an alumni).
Derek

If you make it to Lawrence, the University of Kansas has a nicer campus and better architecture.:D
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

There isn't too much woodworking interest in the area. Woodworkers yes, just not a lot of "must see" that is woodwork focused. However in Kansas City the Nelson Atkins Museum has just undergone a huge renovation/expansion that has received a lot of national acclaim.

And if you go to the Nelson you'll be about three minutes from the Country Club Plaza (shopping area) and Jack Stack Barbecue, which is unbelievable.

Topeka is pretty quiet, Lawrence is only 20 minutes away and a little livelier as its a college town but no woodworking center. But if in town try the Free State Brewery, not typical bar food and great beer.

Shannon Vincent
01-24-2008, 12:05 AM
I grew up in North KC,and you cant mention KC without mentioning BBQ!Check out Smokehouse BBQ, now at the Zona Rosa Shopping area off I-29 near the airport.IMHO they have the best BBQ beans in the world.If you want a burger,Try L.C.'s burgers in Parkville(also near the Zona Rosa area.)Pizza,Minsky's pizza(also near Zona Rosa)...anyway,I must be hungry:p.

Shannon Vincent
01-24-2008, 12:09 AM
And if you go to the Nelson you'll be about three minutes from the Country Club Plaza (shopping area) and Jack Stack Barbecue, which is unbelievable.
Smokehouse is basically copy of Jack Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ,So its a win win either way.;)

Bill Huber
01-24-2008, 2:01 AM
I grew up in North KC,and you cant mention KC without mentioning BBQ!Check out Smokehouse BBQ, now at the Zona Rosa Shopping area off I-29 near the airport.IMHO they have the best BBQ beans in the world.If you want a burger,Try L.C.'s burgers in Parkville(also near the Zona Rosa area.)Pizza,Minsky's pizza(also near Zona Rosa)...anyway,I must be hungry:p.

I was raised in Nashua and was in the area for 39 years..

I think we could get a good debate on this one..... Lets face it Arthur Bryant's is the best there is anywere......:D:D

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

Shannon Vincent
01-24-2008, 5:45 AM
I think we could get a good debate on this one..... Lets face it Arthur Bryant's is the best there is anywere......:D:D

Ok....Now I am just homesick:(...Ft worth Texas,huh?Now thats where they have good smoked brisket....:D

Greg Cole
01-24-2008, 8:55 AM
Don,
The WW I museum is a must see in KC, completely re-vamped and just finished less than a year ago. I can wander around there for hours & hours with my little dude.
Woodworking wise... pickings are slim. There is a place in "Smithville" just barely north of the city (10 miles from the airport) that specializes in flooring-cabinetry etc from reclaimed barns etc... pretty neat place, Elmwood Reclaimed Timber. Google it & its the first 10 hits or so. I stumbled on it 'cause I saw a sign for a business with a big ol' bench plane carved in the sign... cause the truck to instantly swerve down that driveway.:rolleyes:
There is usually something worth while at the Union Station in KC too.
Topeka isn't going to give you many options for things to do-see.....

Cheers.
Greg