PDA

View Full Version : Shop Thinking Chair?

Justin Dreier
01-22-2008, 9:39 PM
What are you using as your shop thinking chair...Do you have a nitch chair for that perfect place in your shop? A chair where you can relax and do your thinking?

For my next tool, I would like to add that perfect chair fit for a shop. Do you have one? Share your ideas and/or pics.

Regards, Justin

Lee Koepke
01-22-2008, 9:45 PM
I do my thinking at work:D

or reading forums.

I have a plastic patio chair that I sit in at the end of the day and plan the next adventures.

glenn bradley
01-22-2008, 9:49 PM
I have two stools in my shop. One I bought before I realized all it did was take up space because I do my sitting after I'm done in the shop. The other is just visiting till I can find it a good home.

Jim O'Dell
01-22-2008, 10:08 PM
I have a stool, and a plastic stackable patio chair. If I'm reading or just resting/thinking and looking around, it's the plastic chair. If I'm drawing or inspecting, its the stool. Jim.

Bill Wyko
01-22-2008, 10:10 PM
A couple of walmart green plastic, stackable chairs. One for me and one for my BIL when we sit have a cigar, a good drink and a great conversation. The rest of the time I'm on my feet.:)

Jim Becker
01-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a stool in the shop that I sometimes sit on, but often use to hold something I'm spraying finish on... LOL I sometimes do "thinking" on it, but most of my thinking gets done here in my office.

jack howery
01-23-2008, 12:06 AM
In my city thay have bulk pickup every 2 months.So I also looking for the right one.If it don't work out I throw it out and look more.Right now I have 3 high back leather computer chairs.Amazing what some throw out.Also i have 2 stools.Sounds like a lot but seems like the older gents in the neighborhood always stopping by to see what is happening.Always a good time there.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2008, 1:01 AM
I'm still trying to finish the shop. Then I'll worry about a chair.:D

keith ouellette
01-23-2008, 1:12 AM
I just told someone that this was my thinking chair the other day. Here is a picture of it.
It is a 1950's mahogany chair my mother left me. The seat has the original fabric and the back does also though it is under a newer fabric. It is still very comfortable.

Bill Wyko
01-23-2008, 1:24 AM
Unfortunately, most of my ideas come to me when I'm trying to get to sleep.:cool:

Bill Huber
01-23-2008, 2:43 AM
I have a stool that I got out of the trash some 42 years ago. I put 2 layers of 3/4 ply on it for a seat and that is the way its been since I got it. Its a metal stool and is built like a battleship and will be aroung long after I am gone.
Now it does have many many layers of paint on it, like Jim I do use it as a spray stand.

Greg Cole
01-23-2008, 9:25 AM
Mine is a shop built (day job shop) rolling seat like you see auto mechanics use, about 1/2 height of a standard stool with a footrest, tool drawer under the seat etc.... problem is I made it with 1/4" wall square tubing so it's HEAVY as sin. I park my posterior on that or on my bench now that I lowered it some (can sit on it w/out hitting head on the ceiling :p) to accomodate hand tool work & allow more of the force used when pushing hand planes to come from my lower body.
But my best thoughts usually come far removed from said sitting places....

Greg

Todd Bin
01-23-2008, 9:57 AM
Here is the perfect chair for planning your next project or figuring out exactly how you are going to make that next cut.

Jim Becker
01-23-2008, 9:59 AM
Here is the perfect chair for planning your next project or figuring out exactly how you are going to make that next cut.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

Ralph Barhorst
01-23-2008, 10:19 AM
A couple of walmart green plastic, stackable chairs. One for me and one for my BIL when we sit have a cigar, a good drink and a great conversation. The rest of the time I'm on my feet.:)

This sounds like the last couple of minutes of every "Boston Legal" episode.

Al Willits
01-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Two plastic lawn chairs, one office style tall stool, one short stool, office style chair and a half dozen or so plastic milk crates.

I use the plastic lawn chairs the most.

Al

Jerome Hanby
01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Folding metal chairs here. They fold and stand up along with the saw horses and roller stands out of the way when the action starts. The also make a god awful noise when I knock them over fishing out a saw horse or roller stand:D

John Cooper2
01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I have an old Beer Keg that I found at a yard sell for 25 cents. Put it on some rollers I had from an old IV Pole and now I have a stool that I can roll where ever, sit on, stand on, beat on, or even use it to hold something up. Should put a padded seat on it, but then I may spend too much time on it.

Bill Wyko
01-23-2008, 12:57 PM
[quote=Ralph Barhorst;753577]This sounds like the last couple of minutes of every "Boston Legal" episode.[/q
Believe me, there is a defenite parallel. (Love that show):D

Tyler Howell
01-23-2008, 4:19 PM
A wooden boat builder friend calls it his the "mumbling chair".
I have a old office chair with wheels. Arm rests broken off so I can sit with tool belt, or over coat and mumble.;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-23-2008, 5:35 PM
It's a prototype I built of a Chippendale. The thing isn't finished but you can sit in it.

Todd Jensen
01-23-2008, 6:35 PM
:D LOL Todd Bin - a lot of dreaming and scheming happens on that special chair.

Justin Dreier
01-23-2008, 8:12 PM
Gents - Good thoughts...I'll scope the large cleanup around the city when spring breaks out again. I don't have any excess chairs that are remotely comfortable and fit for the shop right now. I was thinking of one of the patio chairs to use while the patio is not. I have plenty of the plastic chairs for times when larger groups come over so that could tide over as well.

Appreciate the thoughts and thank you. Justin

Doug Shepard
01-23-2008, 9:02 PM

We must shop at the same furniture store:D One of my 2 cats cant wait til I'm on the thinking chair either. She likes to hop on my lap and plan her next day's activities while I'm planning mine.

M. A. Espinoza
01-23-2008, 9:36 PM
I made a wooden "seat" I slip over the adjustable roller support when needed. Its only about six inches deep but chair scooped so its comfortable enough for shop use. Added a small foot ledge. And its height adjustable which is handy at times.

Not my original idea, got it from another guy at a former shop. Its a nice option to have when doing some bench work, good to change body position from standing to tall seated.

Adolf Hendriks
01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
My barber remodeled his shop and I now have the old barber chair in which I have spend the last 25 years. Lots of thinking possible in the lowered or raised positions. But I gotta be careful not to hit the side lever which will lower the back rest into a horizontal position faster than you can say: Oh s... :)

Al Killian
01-23-2008, 10:58 PM
If I am doing sanding with a hand held sander I use a chair at the table. If I am working at the bench I have a stool. Standing for me is very bad(bad back) I have two stools and one chair. The stools are old bar stools.

Randal Stevenson
01-24-2008, 2:48 AM

I wondered who was going to be the first one to post Flush Gordan. :D

I currently have a 100 year old cast iron and wood bankers stool, in my shop, but there are times it is a little tall. I need to get better at welding, I am also interested in cars (although I wrenched for someone else, because I can't afford what I like), and have been keeping my eyes out for big wheels or rims. I may just stack three wheels, weld them together and make a cushion for something smaller. I would like to make it, so it could be a footstool for the bankers stool otherwise (multitask).

Rich Engelhardt
01-24-2008, 7:04 AM
Hello,

I bought a Craftsman hydraulic stool. It's not a "thinking" stool per say as much as an integral tool.

Age - "bad knees" - too much Miller High Life - years of retail being "on my feet" 8 to 12 hours - all have added up to my not being able to spend more than an hour, at best, on my feet.

Also - a few years of working at a bench repairing printers & PC's using a stool w/out a back taught me the importance of having a good back support.

Brad Schmid
01-24-2008, 9:34 AM
My neighbor & his family (fellow woodworker & SMCer) got me this shop stool for my birthday a few years ago. I really like the back rest, it helps because of my messed up lower back. My old wooden stool is now relegated to "finishing platform" ;)

Angus Hines
01-24-2008, 9:57 AM
I have 2 of these with casters for rolling around the shop. THey came out of a 82 datsun pick-up

Eric Gustafson
01-24-2008, 10:44 AM
My neighbor & his family (fellow woodworker & SMCer) got me this shop stool for my birthday a few years ago. I really like the back rest, it helps because of my messed up lower back. My old wooden stool is now relegated to "finishing platform" ;)

I want your neighbor! :D

That is a nice chair.. What is it called?

Jerome Hanby
01-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Looks a lot like the biker saddle chair from Sam's Club

Brad Schmid
01-24-2008, 3:23 PM

It's called a "Alltrade Motorcycle Saddle Stool". I didn't ask where he got it, but I've seen them around in several stores since then, including Sam's as Jerome mentioned. The hydraulic adjustable height deal is very nice.

Best of all, when the weather is so bad that I can't ride the Harley to work, I can "get my fix" out in the shop :D

Don Orr
01-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I have an original "shop stool" from my High School woodshop (which they don't have any more). It has a wooden seat with saw cuts, gouges, paint splatters, etc. and green steel legs. I "acquired" it;) my senior year (over 30 yrs ago !:eek:) after using it in the school play "Our Town" where I played the Stage Manager. I also have a wire frame "cafe' chair" for guests. Needs a little cleanup yet. Came from my father-in-law's basement.

Fun thread !