PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Marking Gauge

Mark Singer
03-02-2004, 9:12 AM
I just recieved a Lee Valley marking gauge and it is really well designed. It has a fine adjustment on the new models , similar to TiteMark. It works well, is a beautiful amd is quite reasonable. Here is the link:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=49133&category=1,42936&ccurrency=2&SID=

I am not working at Lee Valley , I applied but they said the drive is long and they were afraid I would be late too often...:o

Chris Padilla
03-02-2004, 10:03 AM
I have that gauge, Mark. It works very nicely. I think the best part is the beveled cutting wheel--it always wants to pull towards the fence which is good.

It provides a nice cut line to reduce tearout on tenons.

Steve Roxberg
03-02-2004, 1:39 PM
I've got one and like it as well, but have a question, how do you sharpen the blade?

Tyler Howell
03-02-2004, 2:18 PM
I've got one and like it as well, but have a question, how do you sharpen the blade?

I've got one too Steve and it hasen't needed sharpening yet. They are happy tp sell you a replacement.

Mark Singer
03-02-2004, 3:44 PM
Tyler is right as usuall...:o.they have replacement wheels and you can lap it by rubbing it over a stone with your finger...a 1000 grit should do it

Joe Bourbois
03-03-2004, 10:47 PM
I just recieved a Lee Valley marking gauge and it is really well designed. It has a fine adjustment on the new models , similar to TiteMark. It works well, is a beautiful amd is quite reasonable. Here is the link:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=49133&category=1,42936&ccurrency=2&SID=

I am not working at Lee Valley , I applied but they said the drive is long and they were afraid I would be late too often...:o

I just ordered the same thing a couple of days ago. Glad it's as good as it looked on paper. Did you get the graduated column?

Mark Singer
03-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Joe,
I got the graduated column and the micto adjustment. The fine adjustment is a collet nut at the end that tightens on the column allowing a threaded collar to move the fence 3/16" . I believe the older models don't have that and Lee Valley still carries both so check to make sure.

Steve Roxberg
03-04-2004, 12:41 AM
I also got the graduated scale, don't know that I'll use it though, and the fine adjust.

:D

Lloyd Robins
03-04-2004, 1:19 AM
Add another to the list. I just ordered one last week, along with the shavespokes, while I could take advantage of the special price. From the posts they sound like a great product.

Chris Padilla
03-04-2004, 10:00 AM
I have the older version...no scale. I feel gyped! :(

Donnie Raines
03-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Just be careful.....the scoreing wheel is nice and sharp(..good thing) but can be disasterous to your fingers.

DonnieR

Chris Padilla
03-04-2004, 12:18 PM
One nice thing about the cutting wheel is that it doesn't really turn...untighten the screw to rotate when that edge gets dull. The wheel should last quite a while.

Steven Wilson
03-04-2004, 5:03 PM
I have one without the scale on it and they're great. I also find a kit at Woodcraft for making one so I have one with a cocobola body and lots of brass. I use a Starret steel rule for setting the mark.