PDA

View Full Version : Magazine subscriptions -

Peter Kuhlman
01-22-2008, 8:10 PM
Ok - this keeps happening to me. Just got a renewal notice for Woodsmith and it is for $36 for 2 years. Went to their website and found that if I sign up for a new subscription I can get 2 years for $28. Only difference is that I don't get the list of articals going back to issue #1. Seems to me that they would want to keep us and would offer a nice rate to those that renew - especially if you renew early. This is NOT unique to Woodsmith/August. Now $8 isn't a lot of money but it just grinds me. Had the same thing happen a couple months ago with Wood Magazine and I just let it expire and purchased a new subscription at the lower rate. Sorry - just venting. :(
Pete

David Parker
01-22-2008, 8:33 PM
Hi All,

As long as we're talking about magazines...

I'm new to woodworking and was wondering if there were one or two magazines that stood out from the rest for a newbie. Something that reviewed basic techniques with the various tools and did comparative evaluations of equipment. I'd not be looking for specific project plans other than those related to the shop and homemade add-ons for the various tools.

Thanks.

Greg Just
01-22-2008, 9:07 PM
Peter this happens with a lot of things - existing customers don't get treated as well as new ones. I love the magazine offers that say get the first issue free and if you like it, we will send you another 11 issues for $X. The problem is that you would pay $X for 12, so where is the free issue, unless I decline the offer after the first one!

While I'm venting --- Directv is another one. I have been a customer for almost 6 years and after spending almost $300 for a HD DVR 2 years ago, I find out the this unit isn't compatable with the new Directv HD system offering 100 HD channels. They want me to spend another $300. New customers are getting this unit for free! :mad:

Lee Koepke
01-22-2008, 9:09 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to woodworking and was wondering if there were one or two magazines that stood out from the rest for a newbie. Something that reviewed basic techniques with the various tools and did comparative evaluations of equipment. I'd not be looking for specific project plans other than those related to the shop and homemade add-ons for the various tools.

Thanks.
I have liked Shop Notes.

It has some decent articles and help with shop jigs, etc. Its kinda short but I have liked it.

Bruce Wrenn
01-22-2008, 10:17 PM
With most magazines, CALL THEM, and tell that you have a better deal. Most will come up with a similar deal. They do have flexibility in pricing. Also be sure and check out magazine price search. com

Rick Gifford
01-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Same thing here. This is how I got it fixed.

I subscribed with this offer:

YES! Send me 2 years of Woodsmith for only $28 — that's 2 years for the price of 1!
Plus, I'll get the FREE book and CD, 120+ Shop-Tested Tips & Techniques.

Then saw a few days later they offered a deal of 1 year for 19.97 and an additional year free.

I called Woodcraft customer service 1-800-535-4482 and told them I just signed up and now there is a better deal.

I expected they would offer to refund $8.03

She said she could refund that amount OR give me 4 years for the price I paid already.

I asked, excuse me? You said 4 years? Yes, that is correct she said.

I'll take the 4 years thank you.

So I ended up with 4 years of Woodsmith for $28.

I'm very cool with that :D

matt dumney
01-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Are there any recommendations for magazines to subscribe to...This would be woodworking type of mags. :D

Sorry not trying to hijack a thread...

Danny Thompson
01-22-2008, 10:49 PM
David,

I like the www.FineWoodworking.com (http://www.FineWoodworking.com) site subscription (as opposed to its or any other mags paper subscription). Every issue appears online, and every article, along with online extras (videos, slideshows, etc.) is available online. Searchable, downloadable, printable, whatever.

Danny Heisner
01-22-2008, 11:06 PM
My favorite magazine is WOOD. I have picked up many different ones over the years and they seem to have some of the best articles out there. I have heard a few complain about some of their tool reviews, but they seemed to be pretty fair to me.

I also have a subscription to Woodworker's Journal that I got for Christmas. So far, it has been good, but I like WOOD a little better.

Hope this helps.

Danny

Rick Gifford
01-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Are there any recommendations for magazines to subscribe to...This would be woodworking type of mags. :D

Sorry not trying to hijack a thread...

Lookie here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62447&highlight=favorite+magazine

and here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58820&highlight=favorite+magazine

glenn bradley
01-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi All,

Thanks.

Minor thread-jack but, for newbies I would recommend ShopNotes and Woodsmith very highly. When I was starting out I found more stuff in them that pertained to where I was at the time than I can count.

glenn bradley
01-22-2008, 11:23 PM
I have found that if I ignore the first couple of "reminders" that the offer gets sweeter. I have also just called customer service and said give me the deal or else. Both seem to work.

My internet service was $45 a month when I signed up. It is now $19.99 for twice the speed, forever. I have to use cable and I don't watch TV or want IP phones so they pretty much have to negotiate with me or they get none of my money. Sounds harsh but, I'm saving $25 a month that can go to the shop ;-)

Gary Breckenridge
01-23-2008, 1:29 AM
I like Wood. The subscription business is like buying an airline seat; everybody pays a different price. Advertising pays for the magazine and you pay the shipping and handling.:cool: