PDA

View Full Version : Where on the 'Creek' do you visit?

Mitchell Andrus
01-22-2008, 6:21 PM
My 'Creek bookmark lands me on the Laser page first, then I go to Off Topic, then I'm over to the General Woodworking area. If I'm being a lasy bum and need to waste time, (the previous are all work-related!) I'll stroll over to the CNC, Design and For Sale areas.

How 'bout you?

Matt Campbell
01-22-2008, 6:28 PM
General Woodworking, Classifieds, Off-topic, and my forum down below.

Jason Roehl
01-22-2008, 6:31 PM
I use the "New Posts" button at the top. I rarely know where I am anyway, why bother here? :D

Ron Dunn
01-22-2008, 6:31 PM

My shortcut is to the following URL:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew

Kevin French
01-22-2008, 6:43 PM
I read Neanderthal Haven and Off Topics mostly. Sometimes I'll read Home Improvement. Rarely will I read about power tools, I don't have a lot of them and what I do have, no one wants to hear about.
I don't believe you have to throw a lot of money at your equipment and buy the best. This is a hobby for me and the green machines with the big teeth are fine for me and though I live in a forest I won't buy one of theirr blades.

Charles Wiggins
01-22-2008, 7:36 PM
General Woodworking, Classifieds, Off-topic, and my forum down below.

Ditto. And sometimes I hit the New Posts link on top.

Jim Becker
01-22-2008, 7:37 PM
A click on the link at the top of Firefox brings me to the main menu. From there, it's Moderator's Forum, OT, Classifieds, Finishing, Design, Turning, Neander, GW, LumberYard and Forum Technical Support...in that order if there is anything new showing.

Billy Chambless
01-22-2008, 7:39 PM
Neanderthal Haven, General Woodworking & Power Tools, and Classifieds.

Unless I'm bored and/or lazy, in which case I just hit "new posts".

Matt Campbell
01-22-2008, 7:48 PM
Ditto. And sometimes I hit the New Posts link on top.

You go to my forum, too? Awww shucks. :D

Joe Mioux
01-22-2008, 8:10 PM

I have gone for weeks without knowing there have been new forums added.

Aaron Koehl recommended the New Posts button years ago, and I like it.

Joe

Mark Patoka
01-22-2008, 8:13 PM
I just hit the New Posts button and skim the titles until I see something I want to read. Most of the time it's Turner's and General Woodworking. I only go into a specific forum if I'm looking for a specific post or topic.

Stephen Beckham
01-22-2008, 8:46 PM
I was going to joke about "where is the New Posts Forum" but I figured I better not - might get too many "it's over there" or "next to the Anykey" type responses.:eek:

I bounce between Lasers and OT. Depends on what mood I'm in... Then I usually finish off with the Lumber Mill or the 19th Hole or Support Forums...

Steve

Doug Shepard
01-22-2008, 9:02 PM
I use the "New Posts" button at the top. I rarely know where I am anyway, why bother here? :D

Ditto.....

glenn bradley
01-22-2008, 9:44 PM
I generally use the New Posts link but it is kinda flaky so I will use the Today's Posts Quick Link as well. Now don't get mad but I generally sweep right past all the Turning stuff as I don't spin.

I think vBulletin would have a great feature if they let you select which forums you wanted to browse from a profile created list. For example, I would never miss the EZ stuff whereas someone else probably goes there more than anywhere.

Jason Roehl
01-22-2008, 9:54 PM
Glenn, vBulletin has such a feature, though I don't know if it is available in the version used at SMC. I belong to a truck forum that uses vBulletin, has about a hundred or more forums, and that feature was very welcome.

Don Abele
01-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Each forum has a unique ID, so you can pick out the forums you want and use the following link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&include=#,#,#

Replace the # with the forum ID number(s). You can put as many as you want (separated by commas, no spaces).

I have the link saved to my favorites and just click it. From time to time, I accidentally go back to what I used to do - just click the New Posts link.

Here's the ID's for all the forums (having two screens made this quick to look-up and type):

Freedom Pens: 17
SMC Store: 34
FreeStuff Drawings: 16
Forum Tech Support: 7
Lumber Yard: 39
General Woodworking and Power Tools: 3
Neanderthal Haven: 4
Turner's Forum: 20
Design Forum: 5
Project Plans Forum: 29
Project Finishing: 23
CNC Machines: 38
Laser Engravers: 8
Sign Design and Fabrication: 35
Woodworkers Classifieds: 10
Off Topic Forum: 12
Woodworking Articles and Reviews: 13
Member Interviews: 28
Northwind Associates: 22
Bowclamp "good caul": 27
Mike Morgans Lumber: 30
HandyKraft: 24
EurekaZone (EZ-Smart System): 26
NoogaWood - Exotic Lumber: 37

Be well,

Doc

Matt Meiser
01-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I use the new posts button. I've thought about using the method Don mentions to exlude a couple of the forums, but good stuff shows up pretty much everywhere and I'd hate to miss something just because of where it was posted.

David G Baker
01-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Classifieds, Off Topic, General Woodworking and Power Tools.

Paul Greathouse
01-23-2008, 1:10 AM
I usually go to the EZ forum first. After that I just hit the new posts button. There's good stuff everywhere, especially if it involves sawdust.

My favorites besides the EZ forum would be General WW&Powertools, Off Topics and Classifieds. Some of the stuff that the turners display really amazes me but cabinets and flatwork are more my speed. I'm also interested in history so the older Neander tools are also of interest.

Mitchell Andrus
01-23-2008, 8:42 AM
Thanks, Don. Great tip.

Steve Clardy
01-23-2008, 9:00 AM
Usually I just use todays post, then filter through the posts

Greg Cole
01-23-2008, 9:41 AM
Usually start at the top in general WW'ing, Neander, OTF & classifieds... depending on how long I take to go down the list, sometimes I work my way back up.
I don't spend any time on the Creek on weekends or very very little, so usually Monday's I have alot more time spent on the first trip down the list....

Cheers.

Greg

Nancy Laird
01-23-2008, 11:17 AM
New posts first, just to see what topics are hot - then Laser, Turning, general WW'ing, Off Topic. I could easily do without neander and EZ.

Michael Gibbons
01-24-2008, 7:39 AM
First I hit General Woodworking then Neanderthal, Off Topic then sometimes Turners. Almost always in that order. Usually, sometimes...

Dennis Peacock
01-24-2008, 8:41 AM
I'm all over the map. :p :D

I visit almost every forum section, every day. It's part of my high-paid job role as an SMC moderator. :) However....I do spend a considerable about of time in the "Turning" section. :D :D

John Shuk
01-24-2008, 5:40 PM
My usual stops are:
Lumber Yard
General WW'ing
Neander
Turning
Classifieds
Off Topic

In that order.
I also check out the other forums and the Manufacturer forums but that is my usual routine.
I wish Off Topic were further up the page still. I like to check classifieds more or less last. Don't ask me why.