PDA

View Full Version : Saw Stop Contractor Saw at this weekend's Atlanta WW Show

Kewan Floyd
01-22-2008, 4:47 PM
I've been reading this forum for several months but this is my first time posting. I don't know if this has already been mentioned but in checking out Redomnd's Machinery website I saw where they will have a Saw Stop Contractor saw demo model at this weekend's WW show here in Atlanta. Here's the link...

http://www.redmondmachinery.com/page.htm?pg=UPCOMING%20EVENTS

On another note I wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the great info and feedback on this forum. As I've gotten more into woodworking and thinking about outfitting my shop this site has helped me narrow down my search for various power tools. Although I've read on here that the WW shows aren't what they used to be I'm looking forward to checking out what the show has to offer this weekend.

Chuck Lenz
01-22-2008, 6:18 PM
I doubt anyone cares, according to some of the regulars in here Contractor table saws are dinasaurs, and a thing of the past. But who knows, maybe it will be a hit because it's a SawStop and expensive. :rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
01-22-2008, 7:25 PM
Did you get a price on that saw?

Tim Morton
01-22-2008, 7:28 PM
I doubt anyone cares, according to some of the regulars in here Contractor table saws are dinasaurs, and a thing of the past. But who knows, maybe it will be a hit because it's a SawStop and expensive. :rolleyes:
:confused::confused::confused::confused: Why would you say that? I think the contractor saw holds a valid place in many peoples shops. Where you will find people talking others into getting into a cabinet saw is when folks are looking to buy a contractor saw and they are "close" to a cabinet saw budget.

Chuck Lenz
01-22-2008, 7:51 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused: Why would you say that? I think the contractor saw holds a valid place in many peoples shops. Where you will find people talking others into getting into a cabinet saw is when folks are looking to buy a contractor saw and they are "close" to a cabinet saw budget.
I don't say it, or believe it, but it seems to be the attitude of alot in here. Which I think is rediculous, especially when they don't know the persons intentions of how they are going to use the saw. It's like a Humvee, are they nessesary for most people ? No. Not everyone needs or can afford to buy a hybrid or a cabinet saw. I chose to take the extra money and put it towards a cleaner working enviroment. A dust collector and a air filtration machine. It was a better investment in my opinion. So was the drill press and the router table and the compound miter saw, you get the idea, I can think of better things.

Lee Koepke
01-22-2008, 7:52 PM
Kewan, thanks for the heads up.

I may end up going on saturday. I aint there for a Sawstop, but to look at cool tools:D

Bill Wyko
01-22-2008, 7:58 PM
A contractor saw is perfect in my 12x20 workshop and my 45x60 car stereo shop. I've had the same Jet contractor saw for 10 years now and probably built 1000 speaker boxes. I've never even looked under the table and I've sliced up plenty of sheets of 1" acrylic and never stopped it once. IMHO a contractor saw will get the job done in many cases.:D

M. A. Espinoza
01-22-2008, 8:12 PM
They are also shipping to those on the preorder list.

Mine is on the trailer, scheduled for delivery tomorrow but probably will be delivered on Friday judging from the tracking information. Only made it to Idaho from Portland and it was picked up on the 18th.

I don't really expect it to cut wood any better than my existing saw. Thats too bad since they could have gone the Jet or Grizzly route with their new contractors that that have eliminated the hanging motor and twin tube carriage.

But then I bought it for what it won't cut; and the riving knife is a plus.

Rob Will
01-22-2008, 9:20 PM
I don't own a SawStop or a European slider but I'm not offended by anyone pointing out the various attributes....or even suggesting that I buy one. That is exactly what makes a community like SMC such a valuable resource.

Had it not been for members here suggesting that I look at cabinet saws, I might still be meauring both ends of the fence on my underpowered, belt burning, breaker tripping, inaccurate and vibrating "previous" saw that stood on sheet metal legs.

I have to wonder if SawStop has this thing priced like a saw on sheet metal legs? Are these Cadillacs destined to be thrown up in the back of a pickup and dragged from job to job:confused::eek:.

Rob

Erech Myers
01-22-2008, 9:25 PM
Thanks Kewan. I plan on being there this weekend too and will definitely stop by to see the Saw Stop. I really hope the prices come down eventually and Saw Stop adds some other features because I love the safety aspect.

Chuck Lenz
01-22-2008, 9:40 PM
Had it not been for members here suggesting that I look at cabinet saws, I might still be meauring both ends of the fence on my underpowered, belt burning, breaker tripping, inaccurate and vibrating "previous" saw that stood on sheet metal legs. Rob
:rolleyes:

Dewayne Garrett
01-22-2008, 9:51 PM
Wish I could go but have to work Friday, kids have basket ball games Saturday, and church on Sunday. Maybe next time around, could be interesting to see all the equipment etc...