PDA

View Full Version : miter saw dust collection question 1.25 vs 2.25

Jamie Smith
01-22-2008, 2:46 PM
Hi all, I have a question about dust collection.

I have a makita ls1013 miter saw, and a fein turbo II vacuum, with the standard hose. This combination works OK as far as dust collection- I like that when I have the saw plugged into the vacuum, with the vacuum set to "auto", turning on the light on the saw will switch on the vac. It doesn't, however, get as much of the dust as I would like. The fein is also a lot quieter than other vacs that I have tried.

My question is this- if I use a larger hose, and step down right at the saw, will I see better results?

Thanks,

-jamie

(edited to make title less generic)

Art Mann
01-22-2008, 4:25 PM
Perhaps a little. Its worth a shot. I abandoned trying to hook up a vac to my miter saw and just put the bag back on. I constructed a crude hood to go behind the saw out of 1/4" paneling and hooked up my dust collector to it. That solution works a lot better if you have a dust collector.

Rod Sheridan
01-22-2008, 5:24 PM
My brother built a hood behind his saw, and connected the dust port on the blade housing as well to his dust collection system.

It probably picks up 90% of the dust, as you are discovering the CMS is the hardest machine to capture the dust from.

Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
01-22-2008, 6:34 PM
I run the 2 1/4" from my large Ridgid through a seperator up to the DW703 then step it down right at the fitting. Works well but I have not tried it with a long smaller hose so cannot compare. I hang the hose from a bungee to take the strain off the small CMS fitting. I've got a 25' hose so I can change CMS locations (MSUV). When the saw moves I hang the bungee from whatever is overhead.

Ken Tucker
01-22-2008, 7:12 PM
Hello , i have skil 10" miter with a 2.5" shop vac . i went to HD and got the vacuum 4" to 3,2.5, 1.5, 1" reducer its rubber by the ridgid shop vac section .or you can go to the plumbing department and get the rubber reducer with the adjustable bands you know what i mean , don't know what to call them but it will work .anyway good luck:)