PDA

View Full Version : Vibration has left the building

Russ Sears
01-22-2008, 1:39 PM
My Delta contractor saw is solid but it does vibrate a bit on startup/shutdown, enough that it doesn't pass the nickel test.
Until today.

I was skeptical that this would work so well but after installing a link belt.
I stood a nickel and, just for fun, a penny on the table and fired it up.
The coins stood rock solid and stayed that way after shutdown.

I'm not sure that will translate to dramatically improved project work from me but I'm happy nonetheless. Kinda like when you modify your car to squeeze out a few additional horses.

Mike Hoyt
01-22-2008, 1:59 PM
Hi Russ I also have the Delta contractors saw and I had been thinking about the belt as well. Did you end up changing your pulleys or did you use the stock ones? Where did you purchase it from? thanks
Mike

Russ Sears
01-22-2008, 2:03 PM
Mike, I'm still using the stock pulleys; that's one reason I wasn't expecting the results that I got.
I picked up the belt at a local hardware store (this one actually: http://www.paulbhardware.com/).

The stock belt was 42 1/2" long so they sold me a 43" belt. I didn't find it necessary to remove a link to shorten it.
I paid $20 for it which is probably a bit high but I figured it would be on a long time. I'm sure they can be had for less on line but I like dealing locally where possible.

Mike Hoyt
01-22-2008, 2:44 PM
Thanks Russ, I think I will pull the trigger on one, even at 20 bucks if it makes that much improvement it seems like money well spent.
Thanks again Russ

Lee Schierer
01-22-2008, 3:36 PM
Being vibration free is really nice. I changed belts on my saw a number of years ago. Just don't install the belt backwards. It will howl like a lonely dog. DAMHIKT

Russ Sears
01-22-2008, 4:49 PM
Being vibration free is really nice. I changed belts on my saw a number of years ago. Just don't install the belt backwards. It will howl like a lonely dog. DAMHIKT

I'm laughing because I spent a bit of time searching for a picture on the web that showed which way it goes! I was paranoid about doing the same thing and didn't want to destroy my $20 belt.

Mike, the little tabs on the inside of the belt will point back toward the motor when viewed under the top half of the belt. Here's the picture that I found: http://www.in-lineindustries.com/performance_pack.html

John Revilla
01-22-2008, 5:38 PM
Russ,
Just did the same thing this weekend to my Delta contractor's saw. Same great result. I wonder why I waited so long to change the stock belt. I was so happy of the result, I made a crosscut sled just to test the saw. Delta saw with link belt and Bies fence, no need for costly upgrade for this hobbiest. :) Godspeed.

Michael Weber
01-22-2008, 6:21 PM
http://www.in-lineindustries.com/performance_pack.html[/URL]

That motor is bass ackwards:rolleyes: I put mine on (and I hope it's correct) is the tabs point away from the direction they pass over the pulleys.

Mike Hoyt
01-22-2008, 6:27 PM
Russ, on that website you posted, it lists two sizes of linkbelt 3/8" and 1/2", how did you measure your belt? I assume you measured the widest part of the old v belt.

Mike

Russ Sears
01-22-2008, 6:35 PM
Mike, I cheated on that a bit. The hardware store had a Delta Contractor's saw on display so told the guy that I wanted a link belt for the same saw. He took that belt off, went into the back room and came out with one for me.
So I don't know the width. I'll measure across the top and post the result.

Russ Sears
01-23-2008, 6:50 AM
Mike, it's 1/2". My receipt describes it as a Durolink A.

Mike Hoyt
01-23-2008, 8:14 PM
Thanks Russ that what I thought you would say
Mike

Matt Day
01-24-2008, 9:26 AM
Thanks for pointing this out! I've got a Delta Hybrid and it's the same way: it doesn't pass the nickel test on start up or shut down but runs smooth after it's up to speed. I'll probably get one the next time I place an order.