PDA

View Full Version : Mirror backed business card?

Scott Shepherd
01-22-2008, 12:16 PM
I handed out a card to a guy recently and almost immediately he began using the reflection to bounce light all over the room (I use Rowmark's version of the thin material). He thought about it for a minute and asked me if I could provide a business card like product where the reverse side was mirror reflective. He's in cosmetic surgery, so he thought it would be great if his business card had a mirror on the back.

I can't see how to do it inexpensively and I'm sure he's not interested in paying $4 a card (or even $2 a card).

Just wondering if anyone had seen anything that might be mirrored on one side, engravable on the other.

Joe Pelonio
01-22-2008, 12:36 PM
You could apply mirror silver poly film to the back. It's quite not like real mirror but you can see yourself in it and it would keep the cost down.

Kim Vellore
01-22-2008, 3:56 PM
How about a thick mirror plastic engraved on one side
Something like this one.

http://www.rplastics.com/mirror.html

Kim

Jack Harper
01-22-2008, 4:27 PM
This concept is interesting. It seems to me though it would be more interesting to reverse laze the back of the card. This way you would look through the mirror to read the card info. A back fill or coat may be necessary though.

Scott Shepherd
01-22-2008, 4:45 PM
This concept is interesting. It seems to me though it would be more interesting to reverse laze the back of the card. This way you would look through the mirror to read the card info. A back fill or coat may be necessary though.

That would be funny because he's in the skin business as a doctor, so we could engrave small blemishes on it so when they look in the mirror, they realize they need his services :D

Bill Cunningham
01-22-2008, 9:04 PM
I can't see how to do it inexpensively and I'm sure he's not interested in paying $4 a card (or even $2 a card).

Don't be to sure... Custom specialty cards are a high ticket item. A $4.00 card is cheap if he's using it to snag a 5k boob job! :D (just a guess at boob job prices here folks..'some' look a lot cheaper :rolleyes:)

Scott Shepherd
01-22-2008, 9:15 PM
LOL Bill :) No, he's fixing kids with zits :)

Bill Cunningham
01-22-2008, 10:51 PM
This could be a Chinese laser advert..
"Silly Rabbit!! Zits are for kids" :D
Maybe I'm dating myself here..:rolleyes:

Keith Outten
01-23-2008, 7:12 AM
Scott,

Apply laser lights in the color of your choice to the back of acrylic mirror. Engrave the laser lights and vector cut in the shape that your customer prefers.

Scott Shepherd
01-23-2008, 8:44 AM
Thanks Keith, he's looking for thin, not much thicker than a normal business card. Something in the .020"-.030" range.

Keith Outten
01-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Scott,

Check with your local plastics supplier. If you can get acrylic mirror that thin laser lights are just 0.004" thick.

Scott Shepherd
01-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Cool, I'll do that, thanks Keith!

AL Ursich
01-23-2008, 2:01 PM
An idea flashed to me reading the first post about the guy shining the mirror around the room.....

Another marketing idea would be to use the mirror backed cards to promote outdoor type business as having the card in one's wallet could be used as a rescue signaling mirror someday resulting is the saving of lives and just imagine the guy on Good Morning America telling the world.... YEP.... I got rescued because I had this signaling mirror from XYZ Engraving in Anywhere, USA......

Just a thought..... I have a Flash Memory.... Thought Flash In and then gone in a flash....

There is an outdoor supply business in my area, I need to look into this...

AL

Saw a rescue show recently and they showed how to use the mirror. Extend your hand and put your thumb up and point your hand in the direction of help. Take the mirror with the other hand and shine the mirror on the thumb and then up and down from the thumb.

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2008, 8:43 PM
Thats why they have a 'mirror like' finish on the back of a hiking compass... The other reason of course, is much more common...You can simply turn it over, and see who's lost :D

Scott Challoner
01-24-2008, 9:17 PM
I have seen a product at the local Hobby Lobby that is in a spray can. You spray it on glass or whatever to make a mirror finish. You could spray it on thin acrylic or another clear film and then apply laser lights.

Al
Couldn't you cut a mirror out of mirrored acrylic and cut a small hole in the middle? You could look through the hole and "aim" at your rescuers. Feel free to use the idea, just send cash.:D