PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Chair and Stool - *PIC*

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Well.....after all the design changes, additions and deletions, Glenn and I have finally come up with what we like as a chair and stool design. You can see that this is only our "prototype" chair and stool as the REAL chairs will be framed up with 6/4 Cypress and 4/4 Cypress. The chair here is made of Florida YEW wood and the stool is Cypress.

I'll post details of the front and back (curved back support for the upper end of the back splats) at a later time when we have a couple of the REAL chairs made. Feedback is welcomed.

Tyler Howell
03-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Looking Real comfy Dennis, Nice Looking too!

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Looking Real comfy Dennis, Nice Looking too!

Thanks Ol' Buddy.....ya know....if ya lived closer......? You could drop over and give'r a sit fer a spell and try it out for comfort.!!! :D

Dick Parr
03-02-2004, 7:11 AM
Very nice Dennis, I like that fan back. The only problem is that I could never get back out of a chair like any more.

Jim Becker
03-02-2004, 9:28 AM
Dennis...great design. They look super!

The only problem is that I could never get back out of a chair like any more.

That's a very good point, Dick. Anyone contemplating building Adirondacks should research their designs carefully, especially if they have back issues or other physical concerns with getting in an out of chairs. Some of the designs are very, very deep in the rear, exacerbating the problem you mention. Others are more forgiving. The two I built a few years ago are the NYW design and I find them pretty comfortable as the slope of the seat is a lot more mild compared to other designs.

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 9:33 AM
Prototype you say?! Sheeeesh....I'd love to have that grace one of our decks as a *finished* product! Nice design and as Dick said, I really like the fan design on the backrest. Adds a real "beach-type" feel to it. Can't wait to see the production pieces! Yes, details will be welcomed! :cool:

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 9:35 AM
Jim, getting out of them is one thing but, per your bottom picture, it seems as though that would be the *least* of the problems! :D Man, I just can't wait for Spring. We had bikers out in force over the weekend, rained cats 'n dogs yesterday and now they're calling for more snow by Thursday! Grrrrrrr... :mad: :cool:

Jim Becker
03-02-2004, 9:43 AM
Jim, getting out of them is one thing but, per your bottom picture, it seems as though that would be the *least* of the problems! Man, I just can't wait for Spring.

I hear you...fortunately, that picture was from back in 2000 and it doesn't happen often. 67º here yesterday and it will be close to that today. However...fair warning...Friday is my birthday and it's almost tradition to have some form of major snow storm in proximity to that date!

And to refocus Dennis' thread, I'll say it: "Adirondack Chairs" :D

Lars Thomas
03-02-2004, 9:59 AM
Dennis, that's going to be one well built chair. Even the prototype looks good. Lars

Terry Hatfield
03-02-2004, 10:09 AM
d,

Very COOL!!!! :cool: Love the design. I'll take 3 or 4 of them when you get time.

t

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Dennis
The chair looks very nice
But make sure to fasten the front end of the arm rests securely as I tend to use the arms for leverage when attempting "lift off" from a sitting position.
Daniel :D

Chris Padilla
03-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Nice design! I love the Japanese fan-like effect of the back...it speaks to me! :D

Dan Bussiere
03-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Nice Dennis!
How come my finished chairs don't look as good as your "Prototype"?

I like the stool also!

Dan

Jason Tuinstra
03-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Dennis, great looking chair. I like the tapered look of the slats. Nice touch. It looks like a keeper to me! The only thing it's missing is a nice glass of ice tea, and in my parts, a sunny 75 degree day.

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2004, 6:12 PM
Prototype you say?! Sheeeesh....I'd love to have that grace one of our decks as a *finished* product! Nice design and as Dick said, I really like the fan design on the backrest. Adds a real "beach-type" feel to it. Can't wait to see the production pieces! Yes, details will be welcomed! :cool:

John,

I can make and send you one in KIT form if you would like one. You can PM me and I will provide the details about material costs. ;)

Chris Padilla
03-02-2004, 6:40 PM
Hmmm, the Peacock Chair Kit (inspired by the classic Adirondack chair line)? :)

Glenn Clabo
03-02-2004, 7:09 PM
Hey Dennis..I would think you would want to test them out in the ocean air before you start the ass-em-bebly line? Just bring em on down and put em on the Clabo's deck.

and BTW...they look great!

Mark Singer
03-02-2004, 7:15 PM
Dennis ,
Really nice....I would not want to get up anyway...I just sit there and b confy

Dean Baumgartner
03-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Dennis,
Great looking design, the tappered back looks way better then the standard straight back.

How long did it take you to build? Or how long do you think it will take now that you've got it all figured out? LOML has visions of a yard full of the things. If you have a plan that works well I'd be interested in seeing it.

Dean

Dean Baumgartner
03-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Dennis,
One other question, how is the relationship of the arm height to the seat height? Are they comfortable for your arms to rest on when sitting? I've seen some that the arms were inclined back so that the distance of arm to seat remained nearer constant.

Dean

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Dennis,
One other question, how is the relationship of the arm height to the seat height? Are they comfortable for your arms to rest on when sitting? I've seen some that the arms were inclined back so that the distance of arm to seat remained nearer constant.

Dean

Dean,

I have gone to great lengths to make sure that a 6'3" person and a 5'6" person were both comfortable in the chair and with arms resting naturally. Glenn's wife is a short and petite person, so we are "down sizing" one chair just for her. Shortening the seat, back splats and bottom legs will be shortened for the seat and the front legs will be shortened by 2" just for her. This chair design is a combination of 3 styles of Adirondack chairs. Care was taken to round over edges, tight fitting rear seat slat up next to the curved back as well as a laminated curved support for the upper end of the fanned back.

Here is a pic of the side of the chair and the bottom pic is of the curved back support.

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2004, 12:02 AM
I forgot......

I will also be designing and building a "Table" to go with the chairs. I'll post a pic of the table once I have the "prototype" done. ;)

Lynn Sonier
03-03-2004, 9:19 AM
Dennis, nice looking chair. I've made quite a few of the ones Norm designed and they are very comfortable.
Is it my eyes going bad or is it an optical illusion that the back looks lopsided? Could be the grain pattern.
Lynn

Dan Mackley
03-03-2004, 4:14 PM
Beautiful chair! I hope to make some this year for our new porch! Your design is great -- congratulations and good work!

Dan

Joe Bourbois
03-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Dennis, I like it very much. Well done.

Rob Bourgeois
03-04-2004, 8:32 AM
Nice chairs Dennis. How many do you have left to make?

Just curious, about how many board feet of lumber is that. I have some of extra cypress that I want to use up after the chirstmas bird house making. Rough estimate is all I need before I propose this to my wife.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-04-2004, 8:56 AM
Nice design on the back....the wood looks a little like Cedar....are you going to be marketing them?

Erik Stol
03-04-2004, 3:57 PM
Hi Dennis,

The chair is looking great. I am planning to build two AC's later on this summer. First I have to finish the extension of the house with alll its small and big problems.

Erik

PS.
What would the chair look like if it is painted white?