PDA

View Full Version : Need advise/opinions

Rick Gooden
01-22-2008, 10:10 AM
First of all I would like to say that the amount of information that can be gleaned at SMC is truly remarkable. I find myself here 3 or 4 times a day. Seems like whenever a question pops into my mind and I come here, someone has just asked the same question. Well, this time I am looking for advise and opinions as I am anything but an accomplished finisher. A couple of weeks ago I decided to try a new regiment that included: 1. Tinting zinsser seal coat (dewaxed shelac) with transtint and applying it to wood sanded to 180 grit. 2. Applying several coats of arm-r-seal or waterlox. 3. Applying wax with liberon 0000 sw. 4. Buffing. I have now tried this on cherry, ash, white oak, and red oak and really like the results. With arm-r-seal (general finishes) I will brush on 3 coats, with waterlox I will wipe on 5 or 6 coats. Sanding with 320 between all steps except waxing. Will this finish last? Any problems that you see? Should I avoid or add something? I'm hoping this can be my go-to finish but I don't want to find out a couple of years from now it's a disaster. Thank's all.

Steve Schoene
01-22-2008, 12:15 PM
You have a basic varnish finish that is as durable as any finish around short of high tech two-part finishes that would require a real spray booth to apply. No inherent problems in your finishing routine.

Applying dye directly to the wood might give a little more even appearance if that's a problem, and more complex finishing schedules with dye and pigmented toner and or glazes might give a little more depth and interest but the differences would mostly be subtle.