PDA

View Full Version : blade cleaning question

keith ouellette
01-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Is there another house hold product that will clean carbide blades other than simple green?
Cutting through the mdf zero clearance left a lot of brown pitch on the teeth.

Sam Yerardi
01-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Easy-Off oven cleaner

Tom Walz
01-22-2008, 11:11 AM
We supply saw shops and mills where blade cleaning is a big deal. I did some tests last year. I also went through the Internet looking for recommended blade cleaners. There was also a discussion on the tool discussion group. This is all at: http://cs4u.org/cleaningsawblades.htm (http://cs4u.org/cleaningsawblades.htm)

Charles McCracken
01-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Keith,

You are likely to get a lot of responses to this inquiry, some good and some bad, so I suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the blade to see what they recommend.

Jesse Cloud
01-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Keith,

You are likely to get a lot of responses to this inquiry, some good and some bad, so I suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the blade to see what they recommend.

OK, I'll bite, what should I do to clean my Freud blades?

Sam Yerardi
01-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Freud blade cleaner I would guess

Mark Blum
01-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Easy-Off oven cleaner
Ditto. Works like a charm and is cheap and readily available.

Charles McCracken
01-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Freud blade cleaner I would guess

That would be ideal - if we offered one. The Freud recommended method is soaking overnight in a sealed container of kerosene then brushing with a stiff nylon bristle brush.

Sam Yerardi
01-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Charles,

My apologies. I should have added a smiley face as I was making a joke so I didn't mean to offend if I did. Actually I've used the kerosene method and it does work. Thanks.

keith ouellette
01-22-2008, 12:24 PM
I used a degreaser. It seems to have worked.

Lee Schierer
01-22-2008, 3:25 PM
That would be ideal - if we offered one. The Freud recommended method is soaking overnight in a sealed container of kerosene then brushing with a stiff nylon bristle brush.

What about sudsy amonia? The kind you buy at the super market for cleaning floors and stuff? Does it have any effect on Freud blades??

scott spencer
01-22-2008, 3:46 PM
I used a degreaser. It seems to have worked.

I've used 409, Simple Green, LA's Totally Awesome, Goo Gone, Dawn/water, Greased Lightning, WD40, Easy Off, and Boeshield cleaner...all worked great. The Easy Off was the messiest and is considered by some to be too caustic for the brazing, so I don't see an advantage with that over the others, and the Boeshield is about 4x the price of others...

Charles McCracken
01-22-2008, 5:13 PM
Charles,

My apologies. I should have added a smiley face as I was making a joke so I didn't mean to offend if I did. Actually I've used the kerosene method and it does work. Thanks.

No offense taken. I meant my reply in a light-hearted spirit as well.

Charles McCracken
01-22-2008, 5:15 PM
What about sudsy amonia? The kind you buy at the super market for cleaning floors and stuff? Does it have any effect on Freud blades??

Lee,

I guess that technically it would depend on the pH but I have always recommended not using ammonia.

JayStPeter
01-22-2008, 5:18 PM
I use the Empire blade cleaner. It's fast. The overnight method sounds great in theory, but that would mean I'd use dirty blades more often. If I can clean the blade in a couple minutes it'll actually happen. Simple Green is too slow and requires too much scrubbing if you don't soak it for a while. The Empire stuff is a little nasty, but I'm done in just a few minutes.

Gary Keedwell
01-22-2008, 5:29 PM
Formula 409. Spray it on blade...wait a minute....rub with toothbrush...wipe off with paper towel.

Gary

Charles Wiggins
01-22-2008, 5:31 PM
Is there another house hold product that will clean carbide blades other than simple green?
Cutting through the mdf zero clearance left a lot of brown pitch on the teeth.

I've used warm water and ammonia (maybe 3:1 or 4:1 mix), and a toothbrush. Probably got 98% of the crud off in about 10 minutes of light scrubbing.

Adam Grills
01-22-2008, 6:26 PM
Not my idea but another woodworkers. It works, doesn't smell bad or hazarous to health. Baking soda and water. I left mine in a cookie sheet for 20min. Pulled it out and the pitch came of in my finger tips. Dried off the blade and a quick spray to protect it.
Grillzy

Lee Schierer
01-22-2008, 6:36 PM
Lee,

I guess that technically it would depend on the pH but I have always recommended not using ammonia.

I've used it on some older blades. They need to soak about an hour and the pitch brushes off with an old tooth brush.

Eddie Darby
01-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Baking soda and a brush do a good job. Just make sure you dry the blade well after rinsing it off, to prevent rust.

Bill Huber
01-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I have been using SuperClean Cleaner-Degreaser.

I spray one side of the blade turn it over and spray the other side.
Turn it back to the first side and use a stiff nylon brush and then do the back side, rinse in hot water and its ready to go.

I don't think I have ever had to leave it on from more then a min. at most. I also use it on my router bits.

keith ouellette
01-23-2008, 12:25 AM
I have been using SuperClean Cleaner-Degreaser.

I spray one side of the blade turn it over and spray the other side.
Turn it back to the first side and use a stiff nylon brush and then do the back side, rinse in hot water and its ready to go.

I don't think I have ever had to leave it on from more then a min. at most. I also use it on my router bits.

The degreaser I used was called zep and I bought it at home depot. It seems to clean most any thing so I tried it on the blades and got the same great results Bill got.

Thankyou to everyone for all the replies.

Yuchol Kim
01-23-2008, 12:26 AM
I've had great luck with oven cleaners. But I make sure I don't leave it on any longer than necessary. I have tried CMT blade cleaner and have been thoroughly disappointed. I think Windex would've worked better than it.