PDA

View Full Version : best way to clamp table

Mike Steinhilper
01-22-2008, 9:47 AM
how do you keep your aprons/legs square when gluing up? Ratchet clamp? Bar clamps? I'd like to hear some ideas. I've had trouble keeping the table square, while trying to glue up the aprons and the shelf (this is a coffee table with shelf). Any suggestions?

Sam Yerardi
01-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I know others that have access to more resources than I do when it comes to clamping but since I don't have a lot of clamps, I improvise a lot. Depending on what I'm making, I've used everything from pipe clamps across the diagonals while clamping the sides, etc. to clamping nylon string across the diagonals and pulling the cabinet into square while clamping legs, sides, etc. Probably not something you'll see Norm do but it works for me.

I secure at least one side (preferrably two sides) on a work surface so that no matter what, I have two base edges that are square to each other. Then I work from that. As I'm clamping, I'm constantly going around and checking square on everything. Eventually I get to where I want it clamped and it is square throughout the drying of the glue.

Tim Sproul
01-24-2008, 1:18 AM
Do the glue up in at least 2 sets. Glue 2 legs and one apron together as separate assemblies. Then, after those glue joints have cured join the 2 assemblies together with the remaining 2 aprons. This can be a good time for MDF. Cut a piece to just fit inside the aprons (cut out the corners so if any glue squeezes out, the mdf won't become a permanent part of your table). It can act as a means to get your assembly square. Knock it out with a dead blow mallet after the glue has cured.

Using mortise and tenon joinery helps a lot. When properly cut, these joints are self-squaring and only require you to clamp parallel to the apron. And the clamping pressure only needs to be enough to pull the joint closed. Excess pressure can distort your assembly. If you had to apply a bit of mustard to get the joint closed, you should loosen the clamp and reapply just enough pressure to keep keep the assembly together - not enough to bow or otherwise warp the apron(s).