PDA

View Full Version : FreeStuff eligiblity...please note!

Glenn Clabo
01-22-2008, 7:57 AM
FreeStuff eligiblity...please note!

Only properly registered Contributors are eligible to win FreeStuff drawings. "Members "are not eligible. User names must include their real first and last names in accordance with our Terms Of Service (TOS).

Robert McGowen
01-23-2008, 9:53 PM
Hi Glenn,

People may be confused as the forum is titled "SawmillCreek promotional drawings - Free to Registered Members!"

Jim O'Dell
01-23-2008, 10:09 PM
That's a good point! It's just been over looked in the change. "Open to current contributors" could be a more accurate description now. Jim.

Glenn Clabo
01-24-2008, 7:05 AM
Good point Robert...I'll ping Keith about it.

Keith Outten
01-24-2008, 7:32 AM
Thanks guys for the ping on the head. I have so many little changes to make as we continue to adjust to the new model including a revision of our Terms of Service that has been pending for months now. I made the change to the FreeStuff Forum description this morning.

We have been accepted by Google for their "Google Ads" program, Aaron is working on incorporating them now. We applied for Amazon Affiliate status yesterday and hope it won't be long before we are approved. There is a lot of activity behind the scenes lately combined with a busy personal schedule there has been little time to rest for the last six weeks. I am happy to see things slowing down a bit over the last few days and I really hope that my schedule will return to normal very soon.

Danny Thompson
02-05-2008, 4:05 PM
Confused about freestuff. When a new freestuff thread is posted, do contributors need to post an "I'm in" reply to be eligible for the drawing?

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2008, 5:20 PM
Confused about freestuff. When a new freestuff thread is posted, do contributors need to post an "I'm in" reply to be eligible for the drawing?

Danny...Good question. Only if it is an "opt in" drawing. These are focused drawings that people who wouldn't enjoy the item and/or care to win.

Here are a couple that you are required to opt in on ...
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74033
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75630

Now...we also like to thank those who give away stuff...so you'll notice many just say thanks!

Danny Thompson
02-05-2008, 7:14 PM
Thanks, Glen. I appreciate the clarification.

Rick Moyer
02-08-2008, 8:24 PM
properly registered CONTRIBUTORS are automatically entered to win free stuff drawings, unless the drawing states it is an "opt-in" drawing.

'Regular' "free-stuff" drawing do not require Contributors to do anything to be eligible.

If this is incorrect, please correct me.

Keith Outten
02-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Rick,

Your correct.

Rick Moyer
02-19-2008, 5:23 PM
I still don't think most folks understand this because I see a ridiculous amount of "count me in" posts. If someone wants to say thanks to the donator I understand and encourage that, but many many posts are just "count me in" when it isn't necessary. I find that I'm checking out the threads too often only to see another "count me in". I don't have an answer or suggestion to correct this however.

Glenn Clabo
02-19-2008, 5:47 PM
Rick,
You have a good point. I am trying to get my brain around this and have a problem.

I want the people/company/group who want to donate to feel that the donation is appreciated. I also want the SMC contributors to feel appreciated. So...Do I just advertise the giveaway and close the thread? Or do I let people express their appreciation to the donor. Yes people chiming in is somewhat "boring"...but it makes the donor feel appreciated.

This IS tough...but I'm open for comment.

Jason Roehl
02-19-2008, 6:50 PM
Here's my $0.02.

Make it clear in the announcement post that a FreeStuff drawing is non-opt-in. Then also note that if anyone posts a "count me in" type response, their name will be removed from the eligibility list. In addition, anyone who thanks the FreeStuff provider will be entered twice (unless they also post a "count me in"-type comment).

This should give you something useful to do, Glenn, as I know how you've complained in the past that you moderators get paid too much and are bored because you don't have enough to do. ;) :D

Peter Quadarella
02-19-2008, 9:01 PM
I think you should make a statement in the post that all contributors are eligible like Jason said.

But if people don't read or otherwise want to say count me in or thank you, let them. In my opinion it draws some extra attention to the company with the contribution, which is well deserved. An extra new/unread post is a small price to pay for giving that company a little bit of extra notice.

Rick Gifford
02-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I guess on each drawing announcement you will need to state at the top : OPT IN or All Contributers are Automatically Entered in this Drawing.

Should stop any confusion anyone has.

John Schreiber
02-21-2008, 3:08 PM
Do I need to check some place to see if I won? I've been busy and haven't been checking into the Creek daily like I usually do. Sometimes I come in and their are more than 10 pages of threads updated - so I am likely to miss any prize announcement.

Will I get an e-mail? Or did I win twice last week and missed my chance already:eek:?

Glenn Clabo
02-21-2008, 4:42 PM
John,
You didn't read the fine print, eh? The mods are not eligible for FreeStuff...unless...the winner doesn't reply. Then is defaults to...ME.

Kidding of course.

I try to contact the winner...so if you haven't seen that big ugly guy at your door... with the check bigger than your house...you haven't won anything. Sorry...

Matt Ocel
09-27-2008, 5:48 PM
Just in case.
I'm in.
and, Thanks for the free stuff.

Phil Garcia
11-20-2008, 7:11 AM
I'm a newbie to the forum so now I understand. Thanks for the explanation. I think I will become a contributor... Thanks again Glen!!

Brian W Evans
02-14-2009, 9:24 AM
How about putting "Opt-In" in the title of the post? If it's not there, we can assume we don't have to do anything.

Thanks.

Glenn Clabo
02-14-2009, 10:07 AM
They are all opt-ins now. I found very quickly that some people don't check in as often as some. I would pick a name...then wait...then pick another...then wait. So I decided that opting in makes people show thier interest and will hopefully check back.

Keith Outten
02-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Brian,

I doubt we will indicate whether you have to opt-in in the title of the thread. The reason is that companies that offer us prizes expect some exposure in return. They check their threads periodically to see how many views they receive and how many people respond in their thread.

If people don't participate we won't be able to attract prizes. The FreeStuff program works really well when everyone is participating and the prizes get bigger and there are more of them when the program is very active.