PDA

View Full Version : 1st Black Locust bowl

John Miliunas
03-01-2004, 11:15 PM
OK, so it's a bit rough, but I just *had* to try out a piece from my recent load of Black Locust. Impressions? This is some tough stuff to work! I believe it was felled late last Fall and just layed along the line they cleared, until my buddy, Frank, used his super-human powers to lift it al into the back of his pick'em-up. The bowl in question was roughed out yesterday evening and soaked in a heavy concentrate of LDD for right about 24 hrs. before I retrieved it. She *still* turned pretty hard! It's only about 7" across and about 2-1/2" deep. I left the walls pretty thick, wanting to see how it will react to the LDD as it finishes drying. Don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I used some of the Myland's Friction Finish on it after only going to about 220 grit. Yeah, so I rushed it, but I really wanted to get a glimpse of how a finished piece would look. Verdict? Personally, I really like the grain on it. Varied and lots of it! Thanks for taking a peek and don't hesitate to critique/suggest/bash or insert any other comments! :cool:

Tom Sweeney
03-01-2004, 11:26 PM
I love the bowl - lots of "action" in the grain patterns nice coloration - very nice clean simple design & I like that you left this one a bit thicker - I think it works well on this bowl.
Next time don't be in such a hurry & sand it down more - I thought I was the only one around here that impatient ;)
Good Job! :cool: Glad to see you're able to have some sawdust makin time to yourself. Hopefully everything's going well with the house /shop setup.

Tyler Howell
03-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Hot Melted Veveta.Chips, Crackers Yummy!!:D
Very nice John Don't you Dare put cheese in that bowl.
All the more to play with when I come to visit.:cool:

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 12:01 AM
I love the bowl - lots of "action" in the grain patterns nice coloration - very nice clean simple design & I like that you left this one a bit thicker - I think it works well on this bowl.
Next time don't be in such a hurry & sand it down more - I thought I was the only one around here that impatient ;)
Good Job! :cool: Glad to see you're able to have some sawdust makin time to yourself. Hopefully everything's going well with the house /shop setup.

Thanks Tom. "Impatient" is exactly it! I've done a fair number of bowls before (with proper finishing methods :D ), but this is a different animal, I must say. I learned a lot about it already and the next one *will* get the full treatmeant. I now see that this stuff really deserves nothing less! Yeah, I think God did a real nice job with this flavor! :cool:

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 12:03 AM

Hey Tyler, how about some M&M's? You know...They "melt in your mouth, not in the bowl"! :D So, when you passin' through? (Need to warn the State and County boys, 'ya know... !:D ) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Well done my friend..!!! Very nice bowl indeed.!!!

Does the locust turn well?

Keep'em comin' John.....you are doin' real good.!!!! ;)

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Well done my friend..!!! Very nice bowl indeed.!!!

Does the locust turn well?

Keep'em comin' John.....you are doin' real good.!!!! ;)

Thanks, Dennis! Turn well? Hmmmm...I think next time, I may let it soak in the LDD for TWO days! :D You can bet there will be more, but I really need to get some house projects finished and/or under way! I'll try to fit something in there between projects. :cool:

Joe Bourbois
03-02-2004, 12:41 AM
Wow, that looks great, John. Now, how long do you claim you've been turning? :p

Mark Singer
03-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Yeah its a beauty!! Great job John!! Nice form , beautiful wood and the guy that made it is not bad either!

Terry Quiram
03-02-2004, 9:16 AM
John

Locust is at the top of my all time, no matter what, never again mount this wood to a lathe and turn. Locust will move and split and check as it dries especially if your walls/bottom are differant thicknesses. I had a piece that soaked in BLO 6 times, wet sanded 2 times and after curing it still didn't buff worth a crap. I have one still drying and I guess I might finish it some day. Then again maybe not. :D

Only 3 hours south.
Terry

Jim Becker
03-02-2004, 9:20 AM
Nice bowl, John. Great color, etc. And don't worry about only sanding to 220...you can just call it "rustic" and charge more for it!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2004, 9:42 AM
John, I like the grain in the wood and considering the hardness you did a good job. My father-in-law had a locust tree that had been hit by lightning, split down the middle and he wanted the remaining 10' high stump removed. I wasn't sure if it was a dull chain.....the natural hardness of the locust or that the locust had been hardened by the lightning stike....regardless my chainsaw would barely cut the stuff. The same saw and chain worked fine on other trees since?? Good luck with the rest of it!

Kent Cori
03-02-2004, 9:49 AM
John,

You latest bowl really looks great! I love the flow of the grain. Let us know how the LDD soak works at preventing any cracking.

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 9:57 AM
Thanks for the kind comments, gentlemen! Joe, I only "claim" to have attempted turning for about a year and a half or so. I'm still very, very much in the learning stages and have dreams of getting only a fraction as good as some of our more esteemed members here! ;)

Thanks Mark. God is responsible for the beautiful wood and I'm just a product of my environment! :D

Terry, you're absolutely right! This is some *tough* schtuff! If nothing else, it will test my chisel sharpening skills. But, I do intend on concuring it! I'll have to see how it acclimates to the environment, of course, and with the air still being so dry now, it's a good test. :)

Jim, compared to your work, you're especially being kind! Charge more for it? Hah! I'm charging this one off to my own education, that's it. If the next one is better, I may trot it down to the Artisan gallery owner, who has some of my other stuff and see if he thinks it's viable for resale. He's got a boatload of beautiful bowls in there, so I kind of doubt it. ;)

Ken, the grain is truly great on it. All I have for a chain saw is one of those electric jobs. :( Seemed to do quite well on the crosscut, but splitting the cut piece down the middle was kind of a chore! I've got quite a bit of this stuff, so an extra chain may be in order! :rolleyes:

Thanks again, guys! :cool:

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 10:08 AM
John,

You latest bowl really looks great! I love the flow of the grain. Let us know how the LDD soak works at preventing any cracking.

Thanks Kent! You can be sure I'll be keeping a close eye out for cracking, deformation, etc... This is a whole new experience for me and hoping it will prove to be positive! I'll keep you posted. :cool:

Stan Smith
03-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Sure doensn't look "rough" to me, John. I'll be looking forward to turning some myself. Hope to make some little bowls and boxes and maybe some stuff on my treen mandrel.

Stan

Chris Padilla
03-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Hey, I thought we couldn't use yummy to describe projects on here...what gives??:mad:

John, looks good! Let's hope it stays that way! :)

Jack Diemer
03-02-2004, 10:29 AM
Any problems with them thorns while you were turnin the bowl? :D

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Any problems with them thorns while you were turnin the bowl? :D

LOL! Thorns, no. But some of them chips, which found their way under my T-shirt weren't all too comfortable! :D

Jim Becker
03-02-2004, 12:13 PM
But some of them chips, which found their way under my T-shirt weren't all too comfortable!

It's time you considered wearing appropriate turning attire...an example ensues...wearing a turning smock that closes off around your neck is quite effective in keeping the chips out of your underwear (!). I have two and the one in the picture is the one I like the best. (The other one is a more traditional zip/pullover from the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) , but it doesn't close as snugly in the neck) I like the pictured one so much so, I believe I'm going to buy the other version that also has sleeves. Chips on fuzzy shirts are a bear to remove! These are from Packard Woodworks (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/) .

The schmata is optional...I generally just wear a hat backwards so it's compatible with my full face shields. But a head covering is good to keep the chips out of your hair, too. I saw a picture not long ago of a biker head covering that looks like the bandana, but is easy on/easy off and more like a hat. Haven't found one yet, however.

Some turners also wear shoe-covers, too. 'Keeps the chips out of the footwear! I haven't gone that far, however...

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 12:38 PM
It's time you considered wearing appropriate turning attire...an example ensues...wearing a turning smock that closes off around your neck is quite effective in keeping the chips out of your underwear (!). I have two and the one in the picture is the one I like the best. (The other one is a more traditional zip/pullover from the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) , but it doesn't close as snugly in the neck) I like the pictured one so much so, I believe I'm going to buy the other version that also has sleeves. Chips on fuzzy shirts are a bear to remove! These are from Packard Woodworks (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/) .

The schmata is optional...I generally just wear a hat backwards so it's compatible with my full face shields. But a head covering is good to keep the chips out of your hair, too. I saw a picture not long ago of a biker head covering that looks like the bandana, but is easy on/easy off and more like a hat. Haven't found one yet, however.

Some turners also wear shoe-covers, too. 'Keeps the chips out of the footwear! I haven't gone that far, however...

Boy, you can tell that's an archived picture...He's still using that "crummy little Oneway"! :D Seriously, thanks for the tip! I do enjoy turning even with the little experience I have. It looks as though that might make it a bit more enjoyable, yet. The biggest "problem" I foresee is having that puppy up around my neck. In a past life, I *had* to wear ties ALL the time and hated every minute of it! Still do. Even my T-shirts either get the collars cut off or I yank on the collar so hard that the seams loosen up, so that it's not on my neck. I know I've still got some brand-new T's. Maybe I'll just try one on for a size and see if it's bearable long enough to turn a bowl. If it is, I may go ahead and opt for the apron. Thanks again! :cool:

Jim Becker
03-02-2004, 1:37 PM
The biggest "problem" I foresee is having that puppy up around my neck. In a past life, I *had* to wear ties ALL the time and hated every minute of it! Still do. Even my T-shirts either get the collars cut off or I yank on the collar so hard that the seams loosen up, so that it's not on my neck. I know I've still got some brand-new T's.

One of the things I like about the Packard smocks is that the neck line is somewhat like a nice soft knit turtleneck and is quite comfortable. Velcro closure, too. Trust me, I'm not one for ties or other tight necklines, either! (Unfortuantely, I have to wear them next week for my meetings in the UK...first business "business dress" meetings in amost two years in a suit. But when in Rome, err, London/Edinburgh...Sheesh!)

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 7:00 PM
One of the things I like about the Packard smocks is that the neck line is somewhat like a nice soft knit turtleneck and is quite comfortable. Velcro closure, too. Trust me, I'm not one for ties or other tight necklines, either! (Unfortuantely, I have to wear them next week for my meetings in the UK...first business "business dress" meetings in amost two years in a suit. But when in Rome, err, London/Edinburgh...Sheesh!)

OK, no more posts from Becker! Every time he comes up with a good buying suggestion, it costs me $$. :mad: Yeah, so I went and ordered the apron from Packard! :D From the description on their site, it certainly appears that I can loosen up the collar a bit to stay comfy and the overhang from my chin (ahem) should cover it properly! Got a few sanding supplies while I was there, as well. Decent pricing on that stuff, so why not?! Thanks for the tip, Jim! :cool:

Jim Becker
03-02-2004, 7:08 PM
OK, no more posts from Becker! Every time he comes up with a good buying suggestion, it costs me $$.

'Dirty job...somebody's gotta do it! Besides, it's payback since you mentioned that Crown PM Ellsworth gouge, I ended up ordering one earlier today. :eek:

BTW, Packard is one of those places that is a pleasure to do business with. I'd pick Brad over Craft Supplies any day of the week...good honest business.

Terry Hatfield
03-02-2004, 7:26 PM
John,

So that's what whole bowls are supposed to look like. :D They usually come out more like jigsaw puzzles when I make them. :confused:

Very, very nice. You did good.

t

Fred Voorhees
03-02-2004, 7:36 PM
Nice job John. I was wondering what Black Locust would look like in turned form. I wonder because I have six or seven HUGE logs of it sitting at the juncture of my back yard and my wooded lot. Last year I acquired about fifteen log lengths of it from the neighbors when he had them all cut down in his yard. All of it is earmarked for firewood. By the way, it is a really great firewood. :D

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 8:30 PM
John,

So that's what whole bowls are supposed to look like. :D They usually come out more like jigsaw puzzles when I make them. :confused:

Very, very nice. You did good.

t

Thanks Terry! Yeah, they're supposed to look sumfin' like that, but as you say, I've had MORE than my share of jigsaw puzzles and funnels, too! :D Thanks again. Hopefully, the next one will be nicer. :cool:

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 8:31 PM
Nice job John. By the way, it is a really great firewood. :D

Thanks Fred. Yeah, I'm trying to keep the "firewood" down to a minimum, seeing as to how I no longer have a fireplace OR woodburner! :cool:

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 8:38 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Becker] Besides, it's payback since you mentioned that Crown PM Ellsworth gouge, I ended up ordering one earlier today. :eek:
QUOTE]

Ahem. Yeah, I picked one up at Woodcraft, on my way home from work yesterday. They gave me the 10% "Woodturner's Club Discount", so I figured it was an OK deal. Got the sharpening jig, too. Checked that out this evening and I'm going to have to do some pretty inovative modifying on my Wolverine for it, because my grinder cabinet is too close to the wall for the Wolverine shaft to go back far enough. The Ellsworth jig needs to be 7" away from the wheel, so I'm thinking of making a block, which slides on to the Wolverine shaft at the correct height. I've got a couple ideas and may start messin' with that tomorrow, *if* I get far enough along on another mini-project for my daughter's room. :cool:

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 9:38 PM
Sorry for yelling, but my buddy, Frank, just emailed me and I have a correction to make. That Locust is NOT as old as originally reported. It was actually felled just a few WEEKS ago, not months! Ouch!!! That means it's *really* green and still tough as nails! What, a guy have to turn the stuff while it's still on the rest of the tree or what? :confused: :D Yup, the LDD is going to be a permanent fixture while going through this stuff! :cool:

Jim Becker
03-02-2004, 9:50 PM
Checked that out this evening and I'm going to have to do some pretty inovative modifying on my Wolverine for it, because my grinder cabinet is too close to the wall for the Wolverine shaft to go back far enough. The Ellsworth jig needs to be 7" away from the wheel, so I'm thinking of making a block, which slides on to the Wolverine shaft at the correct height. I've got a couple ideas and may start messin' with that tomorrow,

I ordered the gouge from Woodcraft as I also wanted to try one of their tool rests. Unfortuantely, I should have ordered it last week with the discount, but "CRS disease" strikes again... :mad:

Stay tuned...go ahead and deal with the distance thing, but I believe I promised information on the "block" for the jig support. I got hooked into a day trip to Kansas City MO tomorrow, but hopefullly, I can get you the info on Thursday night or Friday sometime. (I'll post a thread here at SMC to better share it) Thanks for your patience on that...business is "really good" and that keeps my tool money coming.

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Stay tuned...go ahead and deal with the distance thing, but I believe I promised information on the "block" for the jig support. I got hooked into a day trip to Kansas City MO tomorrow, but hopefullly, I can get you the info on Thursday night or Friday sometime. (I'll post a thread here at SMC to better share it) Thanks for your patience on that...business is "really good" and that keeps my tool money coming.

Thanks Jim! Yeah, I remembering you mentioning that, as well as you going away on business. I'm not sure I'll have time tomorrow, either. Got a load of errands to run after work and want to continue on the little mini-project for Casey's room. :cool:

Dale Thompson
03-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks Jim! Yeah, I remembering you mentioning that, as well as you going away on business. I'm not sure I'll have time tomorrow, either. Got a load of errands to run after work and want to continue on the little mini-project for Casey's room. :cool:

John,
Nice turnings!! It sorts of ticks me off that everything that I have been doing for years looks like garbage when someone with REAL talent takes a shot. It's kind of like driving a moped on a freeway full of Ferraris!! :o

Anyway, Badgerman, just remember that our state is called the "Badger State" becaused our first settlers were miners who lived, like Badgers, underground! :eek: Just remember THAT when you have your next "ego attack"!

NICE TURNINGS!! The only criticism that I would have would be a quote from Richard Raffan, "It may be a bit thick at the bottom - a problem which most of us have". That is supposed to be a joke, Spring. Get it?? :D :D Nice work, bud!! :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 11:07 PM
"Underground"???!!! But...but....But I'm afraid of the dark! :( Thanks for the kind words, Dale! I'll try to make the next one a bit nicer, as this one really isn't ready for prime time! (Still going to be interesting to see what toll the drying process takes on it!) :cool: