PDA

View Full Version : help with air comp tools

russell johansen
01-22-2008, 1:59 AM
My dad is giving me an older air compressor. Not sure on the details except that it is a craftsman and lays down. I ve been wanting a pankake style to clean the tools, inflate the kids bike tires, etc....

But i also need to buy a nailer of some sort for installing molding. We are installing quarter round molding.

I would also like to use it to fasten my woodworking projects when needed.

Does this require two different guns? Is there a gauge, model, or brand that is easy to use (i'm a newbie still so ease of use is important)

Rich Engelhardt
01-22-2008, 3:47 AM
Hello,
I started with an 18 ga. brad nailer.( Craftsman)
I added a second 18 ga. nailer/stapler combination gun because I needed to fasten some cedar shingles with staples. (Taksforce)
I picked up a $49.00 (on sale) Coleman 1 gal compressor, which came packaged with yet another 18 ga. nailer/stapler.(Coleman - generic)
I added a 16 ga finishing nailer for heavier use. (Porter Cable)
Finally, I picked up a full head framing nailer. (Bostich)

The second 18 ga. nailer/stapler - a magnesium framed Taskforce is my all around favorite & gets the most use.

A 1 1/4" 18 ga brad will hold most glue ups as well as handle 90% of all molding except for crown molding. W/crown, I use the 16 ga and 2" fasteners.

If you shop around, you can find a lot of "package deals" on two or three gun combo's - an 18 ga, a 15 or 16 ga and a stapler.

Don't dismiss the stapler as being something you'd seldom use. A 1 1/4" 18 ga staple has an amazing amount of "holding power".

Magnesium frames aren't too important on the small 18 ga., but they are nice to have. Even a 16 ga. doesn't usually pack enough weight to make it unpleasant to use, unless you're doing a lot of overhead work.

The brand isn't as important as how they feel in your hand. Any of the $79 - $139 18 ga brad nailers have very little "mystery" to them. "Brand name" ones will get you two things over the sub $79.00 models:
- Finer adjustments - = less chance of the "hammer" marring the surface.
- Avalability of parts to rebuild it once the seals &/or hammer goes.

The other thing to look for, if you decide to go 16 or 15 ga first, is the availibility of fasteners nearby. My 16 ga is a Porter Cable I bought at Home Depot on sale. It's a straight model, not the angled model Lowes carries. Lowes is about 2 min away, and HD is about a half hour. Lowes doesn't carry any 16 ga straight fasteners:rolleyes:

Lastly, use quality fresh fasteners. I prefer Porter Cable, Senco and Bostich - in that order. I made the mistake of buying some "white and green box" 18 ga brads on closeout. I had to toss them. A slight film of rust had formed on the tops and they jammed.

I like the PC fasteners because they come in plastic "bubble packs" & are always "fresh".
Senco, while they come in boxes, seem to resist rusting very well. Maybe it's just me, but they don't seem quite as strong as the PC.
I've only used the Bostich in the framing nailer. I framed in an entire basment over the course of a few months and had zero problems w/the gun or fasteners.

Lastly - lastly - ;)
There's also a 23 ga "pinner". The smaller fastener is usually preferred on finer work by those that use them. I don't have one, and I probably won't bother to get one. I've looked at them and they are well out of my price range.
HTH.

James Waters
01-22-2008, 2:38 PM
I agree with most of the info in the earlier post.

I would look at the porter cable combos from Home Depot.($299) They come with an 18 gauge brad nailer (up to 1 1/4"), a 16 gauge finish nailer (up to 2 1/2"), a narrow crown stapler and a pancake compressor. It also comes with a section of air hose too. This is one of the best deals for the money I have seem when you price all of these items seperately. You could then sell the compressor if you did not need it and offset the cost some.

This is what I did and looking back I wish I would have kept the pancake compressor around for work inside the house. I have a larger mounted compressor in the shop and running hoses into the house stinks but it does work. A pancake would be much better to have around when needed for these types of tasks.

I have used the nailers in this kit for about 3 years now and they have performed flawlessly. The brad and finish nailers are the workhorses. They have fallen off the bench onto the floor dozens of times (buter fingers here!!!) and have never failed to perform. I have 7 air nailers or staplers. All but one is porter cable and I have been very pleased with them. They cost a little more but it is sure nice to know they will work when you need them.

I also have a few freinds that have had good luck with the bostich nailers also. I have not used any other brands other than the porter cables so I cannot comment.

I hve not had any problem finding any of the fasteners for any of the guns in that kit at either Lowes or Home Depot. Good point made earlier that may be something you want to check out.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100497650&N=10000003+90401+501602

James Waters
01-22-2008, 2:38 PM
I agree with most of the info in the earlier post.

I would look at the porter cable combos from Home Depot.($299) They come with an 18 gauge brad nailer (up to 1 1/4"), a 16 gauge finish nailer (up to 2 1/2"), a narrow crown stapler and a pancake compressor. It also comes with a section of air hose too. This is one of the best deals for the money I have seem when you price all of these items seperately. You could then sell the compressor if you did not need it and offset the cost some.

This is what I did and looking back I wish I would have kept the pancake compressor around for work inside the house. I have a larger mounted compressor in the shop and running hoses into the house stinks but it does work. A pancake would be much better to have around when needed for these types of tasks.

I have used the nailers in this kit for about 3 years now and they have performed flawlessly. The brad and finish nailers are the workhorses. They have fallen off the bench onto the floor dozens of times (buter fingers here!!!) and have never failed to perform. I have 7 air nailers or staplers. All but one is porter cable and I have been very pleased with them. They cost a little more but it is sure nice to know they will work when you need them.

I also have a few freinds that have had good luck with the bostich nailers also. I have not used any other brands other than the porter cables so I cannot comment.

I hve not had any problem finding any of the fasteners for any of the guns in that kit at either Lowes or Home Depot. Good point made earlier that may be something you want to check out.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100497650&N=10000003+90401+501602