View Full Version : Toothpick Holder

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Here is a toothpick holder that I made with the plans from the magazine Wood. It is out of mahogany. It stands 3 7/8" tall and with the finial 5 3/4". The finial is stained with minwax ebony stain and finish with Antique Oil. The LOML loves it and I have orders for 9 more. So the lathe stand better get dry quick.

Arlan Ten Kley
01-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Very nicely done, Bernie. Nice contrast with the finial. I've been looking at them thinking I should try one too.

Bill Embrey
01-21-2008, 11:40 PM
That is really nice Bernie, I like the bigger finial... I purchased that issue of Wood because of the toothpick holder... been slicing and sealing wood and haven't got around to it yet... you gave me a nudge... I'll try to get one done this week.

David Walser
01-22-2008, 1:05 AM
Bernie,

For those of us planning on following in your footsteps, what, if anything, did you learn from making your 1st of 10 (that's not well covered in the Wood article)? I watched the Wood 3-part video of making the toothpick holder and thought: Why doesn't he reverse chuck the toothpick holder rather than merely parting it off and sanding the bottom flat?

I like your finial more than the one in Wood. From the video, it looked like the smaller finial would be hard to grab for someone with large hands.

Danny Heisner
01-22-2008, 2:15 AM
I'm just curious as to how much you can get out of one of those?

Alex Elias
01-22-2008, 3:01 AM
Nice and creative. I like the form and wood combo. Congrats

Karin Voorhis
01-22-2008, 7:43 AM
I really like this! Very nice form and design.

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2008, 8:35 AM
Nice work Bernie! I do like your finial better than the one in the magazine! Congrats on getting the orders! Are you planning on using the same wood combination?

Jim Becker
01-22-2008, 9:37 AM
Great choice on the mahogany, Bernie. That looks wonderful!

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the kind words. These are actually a lot of fun to turn. I think on the next one I will try doing the finial just a little shorter and out of either a contrasting wood or of the same wood and see what it looks like.

David I made the finial bigger because the LOML has arthritis in her hands so bigger is better. She said it could be 1/2" shorter and would be ok. What I did is when I parted it off I did the same thing as I do for lidded boxes reversing them to finish the bottom. I turned the wood in the chuck down for a tight fit. I reversed the toothpick holder and jammed it on then finished the bottom. Other than that I just read the magazine, went out and turned it. The lid and inside has to fit loosely. Not sloppy but loose.

Danny I am not sure what I am going to charge at this time. I get $28.50 for salt and peppermills and was going to add this to the set. I think I will try to get $42.50 for the set or $14.50 for it alone. We are in a farming community and it is pretty depressed here so can't charge what a lot of people do. I had salt and peppermills for $39.50 that sat in the craft store for months. I lowered my price to $28.50 and sold them all. My son and DIL in Richmond sell a few things for me and can get twice to three times what I can get here.

Dennis Peacock
01-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Dang Bernie!!!!! Very lovely piece and I need to make one of those. Looks fairly easy enough for an old timer like me to try. :)

Chris DiCiaccio
01-22-2008, 10:50 AM
You did a great job on that pick holder. Keep posting them as you make more.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-22-2008, 1:44 PM
I gonna steal it, too. Should pay booth rent very well. If it's not too personal, what price range are you using? ( I don't like to undercut others pricing)

VERY nice job, Bernie.

Bruce

Ben Gastfriend
01-22-2008, 3:13 PM
Really nice job! I love the finial shape and the contrast. And, that is a neat addition to any kitchen. How about a bigger one for straws...

Tom Sherman
01-22-2008, 3:15 PM
Very nice job Bernie, went looking for the magazine my local Books a Million does not have it yet. I also would like to make some of these. You gonna use the commercial grade of toothpicks or you gonna turn some.

Ron Drew
01-22-2008, 3:23 PM
I love it Bernie. Mahogany is classy wood, and the finial looks great. Nice going. Ron

Greg Just
01-22-2008, 3:49 PM
Great job Bernie - I was reading the magazine this morning and thought I need to try one of these this weekend.

Jim Podsedly
01-22-2008, 4:24 PM
Bernie - Very nice.

Anybody else having trouble watching the videos of this project?

Keeps saying the video is unavailable and try back later.....

Thanks,
Jim

Bill Embrey
01-22-2008, 5:33 PM
Jim, I just tried it and it's working fine (for me)... I watched it this morning before I turned one (video has a couple minor differences from the article in the magazine).

Chuck Jones
01-22-2008, 8:45 PM
Bernie,

what, if anything, did you learn from making your 1st of 10 (that's not well covered in the Wood article)?

I can tell you what I learned... make darn sure your wood is dry. I turned two out of dogwood that I thought was dry. They shrunk just enough that we almost couldn't get the cup out. There isn't much space between the cup and the cylinder wall.

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks again everyone. Yep I used Kiln dried stock. You sure don't want it moving or it won't come apart.

Steve Campbell
01-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Great looking holder there Bernie. I think I will try my hand at one as soon as I get back from the mail box. Thanks for showing us.

Steve