PDA

View Full Version : Help with clothes dryer

Ben Grunow
01-21-2008, 9:51 PM
My maytag dryer makes a big rumble when starting and runs fine (maybe slightly louder than usual) after that. Any ideas what it might be? Troubleshooting tips?

Please?

Ken Herold
01-21-2008, 9:53 PM
This site has helped me troubleshoot more than 1 appliance problem:

http://fixitnow.com/

Stephen Beckham
01-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Ben,

I had a similar issue once - it was simply the drum had popped off track and one of the wheels was thumping.

Careful - them rascals are harder to put back together than they are to take apart. Watch for Springs! They usually are not seen until they are UFO types flying away for directly towards you...

On a good note - My Kenmore had a service manual on the inside - great place to put it! Not sure if it was for me or the real repair guy...

Rob Bodenschatz
01-21-2008, 11:11 PM
First thing I would do is make sure it's level. If that's not it, well, I can't help you.

Al Willits
01-22-2008, 8:36 AM
Ben, send me the model and I'll look what kind of bearing system it has, idler pulleys usually squeal when they go and a bad belt usually gives a thump-thump-thump kinda noise.

Also look to see if anything has gotten between the drum and seal, but I'm leaning towards bearings.

Al

Mitchell Andrus
01-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Check the idler tension. It sounds like the belt is loose.

Steve Clardy
01-22-2008, 10:26 AM
We had one that the idler froze up.
Made lots a noise.

Ben Grunow
01-22-2008, 8:24 PM
I will have to pop the cover and see if there is anything obvious. It sounds like my workboots are in there for the first revolution or so then normal or maybe alittle louder.

THanks for the help and I am sure an update will follow (if I dont fix it soon).

Ben

I wont bother you yet Al but thanks for the offer.

Al Willits
01-22-2008, 10:06 PM
I will have to pop the cover and see if there is anything obvious. It sounds like my workboots are in there for the first revolution or so then normal or maybe alittle louder.

THanks for the help and I am sure an update will follow (if I dont fix it soon).

Ben

I wont bother you yet Al but thanks for the offer.

No prob Ben, I was planning on using the consulting fee's to buy a new band saw anyway...:D:D:D:D

Actually it only takes a few minutes to find the manual a look, let me know if ya want.

Al

Al Willits
01-25-2008, 4:59 PM
Ben, you get it figured out??

Al

Ben Grunow
01-25-2008, 6:53 PM
Not yet, havent looked (baby is turning 1 on Sat and I have to make built ins for the house on sunday- all day). I dont even know what make the thing is.

I might also just wait for it to break.

THanks for the offer but I need some time.

Ben