PDA

View Full Version : Logitech vs. Bose Noise Cancelling headphones

Bruce Page
01-21-2008, 8:29 PM
These are my very un-scientific first impressions of the new inexpensive Logitech noise cancelling headphones vs. the Bose Quiet Comfort II
In most cases the Logitech’s were nearly as good as my Bose. I give the Bose a slight nod with the higher pitch noise like the TS with blade raised, dust collector, and router.
I couldn’t tell any appreciable difference between the two in the lower pitched machines like my WoodMaster, air compressor, and heater.
The Bose were a little more comfortable but required a little fidgeting to get there. The Logitech’s fit over the ear very easily.
Musically, I liked the crisp, clean sound of the Bose better. The Logitech’s have a little too much bass for my listening pleasure but overall, still sound very good.

Value wise, the $49.99 Logitech are the clear winner over the $299.00 Bose.

I will be saving my Bose for the airplane and whenever I just want to kick back and listen to music. For shopwork and yardwork, the Logitech’s are the clear winner.

YMMV

$49.99 Logitech: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980409-0403-Noise-Canceling-Headphones/dp/B000BPRGK6/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200963947&sr=8-1

299.00 Bose: http://www.amazon.com/QuietComfort%C2%AE-Acoustic-Noise-Cancelling%C2%AE-Headphones/dp/B000AP05BO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200963891&sr=8-2

I don't know how to do the tabbing thing in vBulletin so I did a simple screen capture. :o

Jim Becker
01-21-2008, 8:48 PM
Thanks, Bruce...I'm considering a pair of the Logitech for my shop just to insure I don't mess up my QCII headphones that I couldn't live without on those long, international flights.

Matt Meiser
01-21-2008, 8:56 PM
Thanks for the review Bruce. How well do those fold up for travel? I sure don't need a lot more space and weight in my backpack when I'm travelling, but the Bose ear buds I just bought are going back because they aren't very comfortable on a long flight, plus they don't isolate the noise any better than what I had before.

Bruce Page
01-21-2008, 9:10 PM
Thanks for the review Bruce. How well do those fold up for travel? I sure don't need a lot more space and weight in my backpack when I'm travelling, but the Bose ear buds I just bought are going back because they aren't very comfortable on a long flight, plus they don't isolate the noise any better than what I had before.

Matt, they both have nicely fitted cases. I give the Logitech’s a slight nod in their design. Rough case measurement is 2”X8”X10”

Jim Becker
01-21-2008, 9:13 PM
Matt, some of the "poorer" reviews indicated issues with the hinge falling apart after a time.

John Bailey
01-21-2008, 9:19 PM
I ended up buying Sennheiser Noiseguards for $150. I felt they sounded better than Bose. While considerably more expensive than the logictechs, they are considerably cheaper than the Bose.

John

Bill Zollinger
01-21-2008, 11:19 PM
How do these items fit and work while wearing eyeglasses?
Thanks. Bill Z

Greg Pavlov
01-22-2008, 12:03 AM
I ended up buying Sennheiser Noiseguards for $150. I felt they sounded better than Bose. While considerably more expensive than the logictechs, they are considerably cheaper than the Bose.
John
Bose has always had a huge marketing budget and that has always been reflected in its prices. I have a pair of Sennheisers as well, maybe the same ones as you, that I use for travel; they're perfect for that. In my workshop I use a pair that my wife bought me from Lee Valley. They knock down the sound levels tremendously, but I wouldn't want to wear them outside on a hot day.

Sennheiser also has a cheaper model, somewhere in the $80 range.

ken gibbs
01-22-2008, 6:31 AM
I bought a pair of these headphones at Christmas and really love them. Rockler had them on sale for $50.00. The AM/FM sound quality is fantastic and my shop is in an area with very poor reception. They are nice when I wear a barclovia type cap to keep my head warm outside and fit very comfortable over the cap. They have an adapter so you can plug your cell phone into them to catch incoming calls. :DKeeps my ears warm too.

Ray Moser
01-22-2008, 7:04 AM
A friend and I went shooting to sight in a couple of rifles. He had his first pair of noise canceling muffs (about $60) and a second pair he had gotten at Harbor Freight (on sale for under $20). I took the HF pair first and they worked just fine, you could talk normally but the muzzle report was way down. We switch muffs- and I didn't think the higher price pair did any better. Not a scientific comparison but one of the days when HF puts them on sale again I'm going to get a pair.

Bob Feeser
01-22-2008, 9:49 AM
Matt, some of the "poorer" reviews indicated issues with the hinge falling apart after a time.

Jim,
You bring up a good point, worthy of clarification. These Logitechs have a hinged headband that enables them to lay flat in the case.
http://images.tigerdirect.com/SkuImages/gallery/large/L23-7206-g.JPG
They only swivel one way though. So you can turn them 90 degrees one way, and not be able to turn them the other way at all. In this case, when trying to put these in the carrying case for the first time, they grew frustrated, because they will not just go into the case, without swiveling them. So when they wouldn't swivel the wrong direction, they forced them, and broke the holder where they mount into the headband. In reality, these are built more substantially then the competition.

John Newell
01-22-2008, 12:28 PM
This is really a purely informational question...not trying to state a point of view here.

those who could really benefit from hearing protection, while enjoying there favorite iPod tunes

Does this make any of you all nervous (for yourself, not for others). I ask because is was working at the jointer the other day (benchtop, hooked up to shopvac - and wearing earmuffs - with the VS on the jointer turned way down) and had this "a-ha" kind of moment when I realized I wasn't hearing the jointer and sort of mentally caught myself...thought "wow, it would be easy to do something stupid like put your hand into the jointer, which you're not aware is running". Or something like that - harder to write and explain than it was in real life. Anyway...my next thought was: "wow, if I'd been paying a little less attention because I was listening to music, I'd have been that much closer to an accident."

So, again, no bone to pick, no argument I'm advancing...just wondering if I'm the only one who worries that music might distract them?

Bob Feeser
01-22-2008, 3:05 PM
This is really a purely informational question...not trying to state a point of view here.

Does this make any of you all nervous (for yourself, not for others). I ask because is was working at the jointer the other day (benchtop, hooked up to shopvac - and wearing earmuffs - with the VS on the jointer turned way down) and had this "a-ha" kind of moment when I realized I wasn't hearing the jointer and sort of mentally caught myself...thought "wow, it would be easy to do something stupid like put your hand into the jointer, which you're not aware is running". Or something like that - harder to write and explain than it was in real life. Anyway...my next thought was: "wow, if I'd been paying a little less attention because I was listening to music, I'd have been that much closer to an accident."

So, again, no bone to pick, no argument I'm advancing...just wondering if I'm the only one who worries that music might distract them?

John,
You brought up an excellent point. The quietest piece of equipment in my shop, that is either my Makita handheld router, or my JDS Dust Force large upper and lower bag system. With these headphones, you hear even the quiet dust force system as a pleasant whir in the background, even when the music is turned up to what I consider to be a max listening level, and the noise supression is on.
Why does this happen, and how do these compare to other noise suppression headphones in this regard. In the Stereophile.com review, a professional audio publication, they ran tests on various noise cancellers. The Logitech when it came to noise reduction, they rated them excellent in the "sound pressure" and "lack of hiss" department. The db ratings on these are 22db noise reduction. Some others are 32. The more noise reduction, the more pressure you sense on your ears, and the "hiss" element can come into play. These have no hiss whatsoever, and the sound pressure is slight also, yet they block out the low tones wonderfully, yet allow the upper ones in. So if someone is talking to you, unless you have the music up a lot, you can hear them. Like I said, my jointer 8" PM running, you can hear the whir, my JDS dust collector, you can hear the whir, with my Craftsman 12" planer you can hear the whir, then when you lift the headphones, you hear this loud clackity clack, at a decibel rating that I am sure is an ear buster, but these Logitechs reduce that to a gently whir.
So these are geared to gentle noise suppression, no hiss whatsoever, they allow enough through that you know when even the quietest machine is running, but do the job well enough that you can turn the music on low and enjoy it, and not be competing with that machine.
Disclaimer: Consult a professional sound expert before deciding on any noise suppression device when working around dangerous machinery. What does Norm say, "Be sure to read, understand, and follow the manufacturers instructions before operating any piece of machinery" The above and my posts on the subject is just my opinion. As I mentioned before I am not selling these, just sharing what I have found to be delightful.

Don L Johnson
01-22-2008, 7:57 PM
For those considering a purchase decision, you might add the "Peltor Alert, Model M2RX7A" to the mix. I just picked up a set from Amazon, and am impressed. I friend of mine uses them in his woodshop and his Woodmiser (outdoor lumber mill) and other noisy items. He highly recommended them as well.

Don Abele
01-22-2008, 9:38 PM
John, that's a good point. But I think it's dependent on the person wearing them and their typical level of concentration/attention. Personally, I have a set of the Peltor worktunes (22 dB) and only wear them when I'm mowing the lawn (when I wouldn't be able to hear anything anyway).

In the shop I have a set of electronic shooting ear muffs (Walker's) that I love to wear. Crystal clear until the level comes up and then they essentially turn into a set of noise canceling phones with a 24 dB max reduction. They were expensive, but fit the best for shooting (shouldering rifles).

For actual noise canceling headphones I have a set of Ear Hugger's (15 dB) which I thought were great - until I went to England last year and they issued Bose QC-2's for in flight use. I have since been trying different NCHP's to find something cheaper than the Bose, but that felt just as nice as well as the higher noise reduction. Based on this thread I got a set of the Logitech's and they are awesome. I'd put them right on par with my recollection of the Bose and they blow my Ear Hugger's away.

One point though, if I have ANY NCHP's on, actively canceling noise, but in a quiet environment, I can hear a very distinct white noise hiss. This is true for the Ear Hugger's, Logitech's, and even the Bose. Do any of you hear this? Because many are saying there is no hiss. Now once they "go active" in a noisy environment I can't hear the hiss any more.

Earlier in my career I cross-qualified as a sonar technician and still have VERY good hearing (thanks to constant hearing protection), especially in high frequencies (I can hear a tube TV hum from anywhere in the house). Is it that, or can you guys hear it too?

Be well,

Doc

Bruce Page
01-22-2008, 9:44 PM
Don, I don't hear any hiss out of the Bose or the Logitech's but my hearing isn't as good as it once was.

Matt Meiser
01-22-2008, 10:16 PM
I checked out the Bose and a pair at Sharper Image today while killing time at the airport. I thought the cases for those were pretty huge to carry in a laptop bag. What do those of you who do regularly think--to they take up a lot of room or did they just seem like they would to me?

Mike Goetzke
01-22-2008, 10:21 PM

This is a good warning. I just purchased a pair of the Logictech's and really like the fit and sound reduction. I haven't worked with any music on yet while working with my power tools but I do remember when I started using 29dB earmuffs rather than regular ear plugs. I almost touched a router bit on coast down on two separate occasions (wish routers had electric brakes). You really do need to be alert when working around these tools especially when you change/improve your gear.

Don Abele
01-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Don, I don't hear any hiss out of the Bose or the Logitech's but my hearing isn't as good as it once was.

I don't know that I'd call it a hiss (though I know that's what I said above). When they are on and in a very quiet room, I hear a white noise "sssshhhh". My wife can't hear it, but both my 8 and 13 year old can. With any amount of noise, including speech, it gets hard to stay focused on the noise and it disappears.

Be well,

Doc

Don Abele
01-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I checked out the Bose and a pair at Sharper Image today while killing time at the airport. I thought the cases for those were pretty huge to carry in a laptop bag. What do those of you who do regularly think--to they take up a lot of room or did they just seem like they would to me?

LOL...nice typo...or were you saying most of us don't regularly think??? :p

Matt, my Ear Hugger's folded much flatter than the Logitech's do, but neither is excessively large. I carry a laptop bag and a backpack always (or my carry-on if it's a short trip). I have never been so overpacked that the case size for the Logitech's would bust the zippers. BTW, the Logitech case seems to be the same size as the Bose.

Matt Meiser
01-22-2008, 10:46 PM
LOL...nice typo...or were you saying most of us don't regularly think??? :p

Guess I should have said "What do those who regularly carry them in a laptop bag think about the size?"

I've got a backpack, but by the time I put in the iPod and charger, the 25' ethernet cable (since I sometimes need to plug in at customer sites in less-than-ideal locations,) mouse, phone charger, laptop power supply, external hard drive and cable, portfolio, latest magazines, etc in there its getting pretty full, and pretty heavy.

Don Abele
01-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Matt, just pokin' fun - I knew what you meant. :D

I guess the real answer is really up to the size of the laptop bag you have. I have a 17" widescreen which is 16" long, so I have a pretty big bag for it. I also carry a lot of accessories with me, so plenty of room. The Ear Hugger's folded small enough to fit into the water bottle holder on the outside of the bag. The Logitech case is too big to fit into my case without taking something out. So I'll just pack them into my carry-on or backpack.

Be well,

Doc

Matt Meiser
01-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Yep, I've got a large widescreen too. First time I've ever had a laptop with too big of a screen--I'd rather have a smaller screen in a lighter machine. Several of my co-workers who got the same machine agree and they are now giving people the choice of a different model. In coach on Northworst, if the person in front of me reclines their seat, I can't open the screen.

Greg Pavlov
01-23-2008, 4:23 AM

Were you looking at the large over-the-ear Bose or the smaller one?

Matt Meiser
01-23-2008, 7:35 AM
The one that goes on the ear, not the one that goes around the ear. At least I think that's the case she showed me--now I not sure.

Robert LaPlaca
01-23-2008, 8:27 PM
Gee, kind of suprised no one mentioned the Etymotic ear 'buds' available here, http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx. Rather than attempting to 'cancel the noise' like the Bose, the Etymotic's isolate the noise from the user.. I have a pair and have been pretty happy with them

Matt Meiser
01-23-2008, 8:44 PM
Robert, some of the reviews on Amazon criticize them as having a "tinny" sound and others say that to get good sound quality you have to put them way into your ear--which is probably the reason for the tinny complaints. Any comments on that?

Ideally, I want a set of earbuds for compactness for travelling, that are comfortable and seal out or cancel out airplane drone. For the tractor I'm willing to wear ear muffs over them, but if I don't have to, even better. Oh, and for $19.99 please. :D (Really I'd like them to be under $100.)

Glen Blanchard
01-23-2008, 8:59 PM
Robert, some of the reviews on Amazon criticize them as having a "tinny" sound and others say that to get good sound quality you have to put them way into your ear--which is probably the reason for the tinny complaints. Any comments on that?

Ideally, I want a set of earbuds for compactness for travelling, that are comfortable and seal out or cancel out airplane drone. For the tractor I'm willing to wear ear muffs over them, but if I don't have to, even better. Oh, and for $19.99 please. :D (Really I'd like them to be under $100.)

Matt - I bought a pair of Ultimate Ears with extended bass recently. I had a pair of Shure earbuds that went bad, and had to replace them. I never liked the low end frequencies with the Shures, however these Ultimate Ear earbuds are a totally different matter. IMHO, they sound great!! I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

They were on sale for $120 when I bought them.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Super-fi-EB-Earphones-Black/dp/B0009Q4PIS/ref=pd_bbs_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1201140191&sr=8-10

Robert LaPlaca
01-24-2008, 8:27 AM
Matt,
I would not call the Etymotic's tinny, I would call them accurate or tight, they definitely are not for the 'head banging' crowd. I would generally say that most Bose products I have listened to, ahem, accentuate the bass, so if you like the Bose sound the Etymotic's might not be for you.

I bought them when I worked in a noisy office space, to provide a 'portable dome of silence' and I must say they worked very effectively.. Think of them as foam ear protection, with music.

Mike Goetzke
01-24-2008, 9:08 AM
Gee, kind of suprised no one mentioned the Etymotic ear 'buds' available here, http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx. Rather than attempting to 'cancel the noise' like the Bose, the Etymotic's isolate the noise from the user.. I have a pair and have been pretty happy with them

I actually had a chance to compare my Shure E2C's (similar to Etymotic's) to Bose QC3's on a jet trip overseas. My E2C's actually reduced the background noise better than the Bose.

For the shop though, I did jump on the Logitech deal for ease of application. The in-ear E2C's need to be placed deep in the ear and it takes quite a bit longer to put them on than slap a set of over-the-ear headphones on. Also, with the in-ear I find if you eat/drink or even walk you can hear your jaws (I think) noise magnified in you head - this is not as pronounced with the over the ear.

Mike