PDA

View Full Version : New guy post

Bill Spero
03-01-2004, 9:50 PM
Hi Guys , I’m new here and I’ve read through most of the old posts to get a feel for the place. I noticed a lot of you guys are “Norm” fans as am I. Most of the woodworking projects I’ve done over the years have come from exposure to “How to TV“. I thought I’d share one of my misadventures with you guys.
Early on in my woodworking I bought a table saw, band saw, random orbit sander, and after a few of the early Norm shows I bought a radial arm saw, he really used to use the heck out of it back then. I don’t know if I’m alone here or if any of you guys tried to make raised panels with a radial arm. I don’t think there was one other time that I was so scared while making a project as I was when I was pushing that panel under the molding head., don’t get me wrong I was holding the piece in a safe manner but at one point my grip slipped and a panel put a nice crease in the front of my wife’s washer. The molding head has never seen the radial arm saw again. I’ve done a lot of woodworking since the early days but I stay away from death defying techniques.

Mark Rios
03-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Nice to meet ya, Bill! I've onlly been here a few weeks myself but the group is great and everyone is very friendly. One thing though, I found out that you have to post some pics every now and then or someone will ask you if you are really woodworking or just trying to pretend. :p .....Just kidding, but they really do like pics around here. Have fun.

Jim Becker
03-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Welcome aboard, Bill...'nice to have another woodworker from "Pennsytucky" hanging out! :D

But the hair on the back of my neck is standing up at the thought of that molding head on a RAS...and I have a LOT of hair back there...hee hee

Mark Singer
03-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Welcome Bill,
That is quite a story....WOW! Glad you joined us!

Bob Lasley
03-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Welcome Bill,

Glad to have you here. As for your "death defying techniques", many of us believe that if it doesn't feel right, don't do it!

Bob

Jeff Skory
03-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Welcome Bill,

Glad you joined up. The more the merrier. I've never used a radial before but have experienced kickback from a tablesaw. I have a nice hole in my shop door to prove it. :D

My habits have become much, much safer since. Including the fantastic GRRR-Ripper!!

And Mark is right. Even if you're a newbie like me, everyone here loves pictures.

Happy posting. :)

Tyler Howell
03-01-2004, 11:54 PM
Welcome Bill,
I've tried that! I thought it was just my X that had a crease in her washer like that:o.

Bill Spero
03-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks guys for the welcome, I'll take the advice and put together some pics.

Bill

Joe Bourbois
03-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Welcome aboard, Bill. I'm new here too and enjoying every minute of it.

Oh yeah, post pics!

Dick Parr
03-02-2004, 7:07 AM
Welcome Bill, gald to have ya aboard.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2004, 7:32 AM
Welcome, Bill! Lots of good info and humor here!

Tom Hintz
03-02-2004, 7:33 AM
Bill,
I had a similar experinece with my new RAS (see the link below...) though not with the molding head. I did use that a few times in the RAS but now only on the table saw where it is somewhat less frightening.
Stick around, ask questions and make use of the huge amount of talent here. Everybody learns together!

http://www.newwoodworker.com/ripping.html

John Miliunas
03-02-2004, 9:28 AM
Bill,

Welcome to the Creek! I, for one, feel fortunate in having you along, because you are obviously a "good luck charm"! Man, that would be one harrowing experience! I've had a few minor kickback incidents on the TS, but have since, put every precautionary defense I can on it, as well as being very, very vigilant in how I process material. I also used to have a RAS, which was given to me for $0.00. I never had the guts to do any ripping with it, much less molding! I still have all ten digits and sold the saw at a garage sale last Summer! There are times when I "miss" the unit for larger rough cross-cuts, but now I just drag out the circular saw and call it good.

Oh, and you're in good company with many other "Normites" out here! I sincerely believe this to be one of the premier WW forums around. Stop often, stay long and yes, we really DO like pics! :cool:

Chris Padilla
03-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Wade in, Bill, the water's invigorating! :)

I have only had once experience with kickback and I hardly knew what had happend. It was the middle of winter in Colorado so I had on a pretty thick jacket...it absorbed much of the oak that was tossed back at me but left its mark on my upper right shoulder in the guise of a nice yellowish bruise.

To this day, I still don't understand how it happend but I must've learned something because I haven't had an instance of it since!

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Bill
Welcome to the "Creek" but don't roll up you pants for that refreshing dip in the cool water - keep your waders handy because it can get "deep" here also - and I'm one of the main perpetrators of deepness.

Say, I'm just east of yah in Murrysville
Funny that I didn't hear your saw running.
Well, welcome anyway - the fellows here are very astute and friendly.
Daniel :cool:
Gosh! sorry, now they'll have to get out their dictionaries.
Jim - he is on my side of the state.

Ted Shrader
03-02-2004, 10:56 AM
(Announcer's voice)
Its Super Bill and his death defying radial arm saw...
(/Announcer voice)

Bill -

Welcome to the Creek. Nice to have you on board. It is a great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

Ted

Jason Tuinstra
03-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Welcome Bill! Glad to have you here.

Bill Spero
03-02-2004, 11:29 AM
With all the water talk I guess I have to build a boat..... Oh yea I did this last winter.............. Mr brother in law is a painter so he got artistic when I was done with it. It's now on his upstairs landing.

Mark Mazzo
03-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Bill,

Welcome to the Creek. Glad to hear that it was only the washer that received a crease! :eek:

--Mark

Bill Spero
03-02-2004, 11:34 AM
By the way Dan, I'm out by the airport so you wouldn't be able to hear my saw over the planes..... :-)