PDA

View Full Version : My "Motorsports" Weekend

Fred Voorhees
01-21-2008, 8:20 PM
Spent the weekend toiling away selling souvenir programs in Atlantic City, NJ at the annual Motorsports Expo that is put on by one of the auto racing newspapers that I used to write for. I went on a picture jag this weekend and got a number of pictures of local and national driving stars. I have always enjoyed working these shows as it gives me the opportunity to network with others in the business, meet up with racing friends that I normally don't get to see during the Winter months and just generally have an enjoyable weekend with the wife and others away from home. Oh yeah, I might have been talked into getting back into some writing for another racing weekly paper that I used to work for. Just about ready to commit to that one.

Anyway, I found myself in the company of a number of national NASCAR stars. Among them were Kenny Schrader, Kenny Wallace and Chad Little. I also got to spend a few minutes with World of Outlaws sprint car driver Stevie Smith. Also, on the more local level, I finally met up with the very pretty Jessica Zemken. Jessica is from upstate New York where she has been competing in both sprint car and modified stock car competition and has taken the men to school a number of times. She is now beginning to try to break out and get to a more national level. I have been following her career for a few years and just have not had the opportunity to meet up with her. This weekend took care of that. Very personable and cute as a button!

And a final benefit, I made a nice little chunk of change that will be put into the kitty for the upcoming purchase of my anticipated cabinet saw.

Michael Morgan
01-21-2008, 8:25 PM
Fred, Is Kenny Wallace as comical in person as he seems to be on TV? I always got a kick out of him.

Jim Becker
01-21-2008, 8:32 PM
Geepers, Fred....hob-knobbing with the beautiful people, eh? LOL Looks like you had a fine time! And the "change" will come in handy for your future shop upgrades as you say. :)

Fred Voorhees
01-21-2008, 9:05 PM
Fred, Is Kenny Wallace as comical in person as he seems to be on TV? I always got a kick out of him.

Mike, you can bet that he is. He is the real deal. I had to stand there for quite a while to get the picture with him. There were a number of fans that had purchased his book and had every right to be ahead of me. However, while I was standing there and watching and listening, he was everything that you would expect. Very down to Earth and as comical as you would think. Quick witted and personable.