PDA

View Full Version : reverse

charlie knighton
01-21-2008, 7:54 PM
if you are fortunate enough to have a lathe that has a forward and reverse, i understand that you should have a chuck/insert (not really sure which one) with a set screw

which chucks or inserts have a set screw so you can turn in reverse:confused:

Jim Becker
01-21-2008, 8:40 PM
OneWay supports this capability. But if the lathe doesn't have a flat for the setscrew (as OneWay lathes do), be aware that this can damage the spindle threading.

Kurt Bird
01-21-2008, 8:53 PM
Remember that the set screw is important if you don't have slow start. If you do, it's not nearly the problem.
Kurt Bird

Allen Neighbors
01-21-2008, 9:19 PM
I bought a little Compac chuck for my Vicmarc VL100. And then I made the motor reversible. And it doesn't have the softstart capability. So, when I turned the lathe on in reverse, the chuck spun off. I caught it. Then I put it back on, tight, and drilled a hole through the little insert (it's not an insert, but it looks like one) on the back of the chuck. I drilled deep enough to dimple the spindle. I threaded the hole for a 1/4x20 set screw, and it screws tight into the dimple, which allows me to reverse without the bad consequences.
It can be done to the inserts for the Nova Chucks, also(I know you can purchase inserts with a set screw, but I didn't know this when I first bought my chucks).
If you drill the hole for the set screw by hand, while the chuck is on the lathe, you can precisely dimple the spindle threads in the exact place the set screw will fit. Then you can remove the chuck, and clean up the edge of the dimple.
The better option (with most reversing lathes) is the channel built into the spindle to take a set screw. You can drill the hole for the set screw in the exact location to lock into that channel. I haven't done this yet, for my big lathe, but I will if I ever need it. I do very little turning in reverse, and when I do, I take very light cuts with sharp tools.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2008, 9:48 PM
I was given a SN2 chuck for my Jet VS Mini. I just bought a PM3520B lathe. I spent $18 IIRC for a new threaded insert so the SN2 would fit the larger spindle on the PM3520B. The new threaded insert came with a set screw in it. I bought the insert at WoodCraft.

Jim Silva
01-21-2008, 11:34 PM
The supernova2 chuck inserts have the set screws in them. At least the one I bought did.;)

Mike Peace
01-21-2008, 11:35 PM
I just got a PM3520 and am still scratching my head over the issues associated with reversing. The Jet spindle adapter I bought with the lathe so I could use my SN2 chuck with my Jet mini and PM does not have a set screw. The insert for my SN2 chuck looks like it has a set screw to hold to the chuck but there is no set screw to keep the chuck from coming off when reversing.

The face plate that came with the PM has a set screw.

Kurt, are you saying that as long as your gradually rev up (or down) the RPMs it is not really a problem? Seems like turning it off abruptly with the switch could cause something to unwind, either the spindle adapter or the chuck. I haven't used reverse much yet since I just got the PM but do not want to see the chuck come flying off!

charlie knighton
01-22-2008, 8:00 PM
how much better is it to slow the revs to about 100 rpm and change direction when you change grits sanding????????:confused:

Kevin McPeek
01-22-2008, 9:17 PM
OneWay supports this capability. But if the lathe doesn't have a flat for the setscrew (as OneWay lathes do), be aware that this can damage the spindle threading.
Also remember to take out the screw far enough when you go to take the chuck off, and remember to check the set screw from time to time when you are reverse turning. These can also lead to thread damage even when you have the proper flat spot. DAMHIKT

Allen Neighbors
01-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Jim, I think you have to specify the chuck insert with the Y in the part number, to get the Nova insert with the set screw. Not sure, but I think it's a Y. I ordered my Chucks and inserts off the Craft Supplies USA Website, and neither of them have a set screw. I wish they did, but I'll just have to put one in if needed.
Mike, if you plan to do much reverse turning, it would be to your advantage to have a set screw to lock the chuck on the spindle. The first catch will unscrew the chuck, if you don't. I do a little reverse turning... very little... but I insure a fast speed and a very light touch with sharp tools. It's dangerous, and scary, too, especially if I have a near-finished piece on it.

John Gornall
01-22-2008, 10:41 PM
My Nova chuck has a grubscrew (setscrew) to hold the insert from turning and the insert has a grubscrew to hold it from turning on the spindle. Both grubscrews have a little red fiber plug to eliminate metal to metal contact.

Kurt Bird
01-23-2008, 7:07 AM
Mike,
The PM3520 has a slow start feature, and it also acts as a brake. Since neither startup or stop happens abruptly, the chance that the mass of the chuck will unthread itself is majorly reduced. BTW, I tried what I had read about the PM, and at 1000 rpm's I reversed the switch. The lathe slowed to zero, and then ran back up in the opposite direction. I don't plan to do it that way normally, but it's reassuring to know that no damage is done, and you probably won't unthread the chuck in the process.
Kurt Bird:D

Reed Gray
01-23-2008, 12:31 PM
The only times that anything has come loose, or off my PM while it is in reverse is when I am hand sanding, and applying too much pressure. The braking feature will take care of that. I do use one of the nylon washers between the chuck and the headstock, which kind of acts like a lock washer. Maybe some one could design a special lock washer out of plastic that will do the same thing as a set screw. Hmmmm....
robo hippy

Hilel Salomon
01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
First, when I saw the manual on my DVR XP calling for using a set screw, I saw that my SN2 didn't have the whole for this. The later ones I bought did.
Not much of a problem to drill (using spindle tap) a hole in the adaptor. Now about my question. What is the advantage of sanding in reverse?
Thanks, Hilel

Reed Gray
01-23-2008, 4:05 PM
When hand sanding especially, the fibers tend to lay down in the direction that you are spinning. By reversing, you can stand the fibers back up, and cut them off. Takes little effort, you can even turn it by hand. When power sanding, I like to sand the inside in reverse, and the outside in foreward. Don't know why, it just feels better.
robo hippy

Kevin McPeek
01-23-2008, 9:59 PM
I like to hollow in reverse. You can see (more) what you are doing. You do need the set screw for that though, trust me.

paul ashman
01-23-2008, 10:03 PM
I have a Jet 1220, is there any way to make it run in reverse (other than removing the belt and putting a single twist in it)?
Thanks