PDA

View Full Version : OT: CorelDraw as Part time work

Phil Sanders
01-21-2008, 7:51 PM
Hi all:

I have been lurking a lot here, and noticed that there seems to be a lot of questions related to CorelDraw and other vector graphic programs. Specifically converting a bitmap logo into a vector graphic image. Sometimes all some one has is a sketch of a logo they want engraved.

I am in need of some extra income, and trust me, my woodworking skills will not bring in any extra money.

However, I am adept at CorelDraw X3, and Inkscape and can usually accomplish what ever I need in vector graphic applications. Thus, my thinking that it is at least worth thinking about combining my CorelDraw and limited woodworking to earn some extra income.

Is there a need for (another?) CorelDraw subcontractor as pay-for-service to the Laser and CNC community?

As most one-man-shop engravers seem to be Salesmen, Operators, Accountants, and coffee-makers; is sub-contracting out a 10 hour vector image creation (modification) with CorelDraw worth any money?

Any ideas where a fly in the ointment would come from?

Any thoughts about what would be expected as realistic turnaround for a vector graphic file? What about revisions?

Anybody know if there is someone doing this already (as in may be I should forget about it?)

This is just in the thinking stages for now. Probably won't happen, but worth some thought.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

Phil

PS: at this stage, the dollar amount isn't the driving force. If this is a good idea, the money will work itself out. If this is a bad idea, money will become a moot issue.

Mike Null
01-21-2008, 8:09 PM
There are some people already doing that. One is a member of this forum and is listed under suppliers another does excellent work usually for about $12 per image.

Scott Shepherd
01-21-2008, 8:29 PM
I've used one of the guys a couple of times. Cost something like $12 or $18 (or both, since each one is quoted). Seemed like a super bargain to me at $18, and the file was emailed back within 24 hours.

Phil Sanders
01-21-2008, 8:50 PM
Thanks Mike and Scott!

I did not know the info you gave me.

Oh well, it was just some out loud thinking.

Phil

Anthony Scira
01-21-2008, 8:54 PM
Just cause someone else does it does not mean there is not room for more.

Larry Bratton
01-21-2008, 8:56 PM
Hi all:

I have been lurking a lot here, and noticed that there seems to be a lot of questions related to CorelDraw and other vector graphic programs. Specifically converting a bitmap logo into a vector graphic image. Sometimes all some one has is a sketch of a logo they want engraved.

I am in need of some extra income, and trust me, my woodworking skills will not bring in any extra money.

However, I am adept at CorelDraw X3, and Inkscape and can usually accomplish what ever I need in vector graphic applications. Thus, my thinking that it is at least worth thinking about combining my CorelDraw and limited woodworking to earn some extra income.

Is there a need for (another?) CorelDraw subcontractor as pay-for-service to the Laser and CNC community?

As most one-man-shop engravers seem to be Salesmen, Operators, Accountants, and coffee-makers; is sub-contracting out a 10 hour vector image creation (modification) with CorelDraw worth any money?

Any ideas where a fly in the ointment would come from?

Any thoughts about what would be expected as realistic turnaround for a vector graphic file? What about revisions?

Anybody know if there is someone doing this already (as in may be I should forget about it?)

This is just in the thinking stages for now. Probably won't happen, but worth some thought.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

Phil

PS: at this stage, the dollar amount isn't the driving force. If this is a good idea, the money will work itself out. If this is a bad idea, money will become a moot issue.
Phil:
Unless your mighty good, it's probably about the same as trying to urinate up a rope in this crowd. Now, that's not to say that their isn't work out there for good graphics people. But their's good and their's super good..the super good can make money (i.e. Foster Coburn types) but the just pretty good's should concentrate on their day jobs. I consider myself to be pretty good but not in the class to get paid very much for my services. Just my two cents worth.
Try offering your services locally. You might have better luck with logo creation etc.
Good luck!

Scott Shepherd
01-21-2008, 9:06 PM
Phil, I wasn't trying to discourage you, rather just let you know the price range you're dealing with out there. If you can do it, go for it. Doesn't cost anything to offer it up.

Mike Null
01-22-2008, 4:37 AM
That was pretty much my point too. I was especially concerned when you said "10 hour" vector image.

Mitchell Andrus
01-22-2008, 8:19 AM
Phil, there's room for improvement on most every software package. Learn what add-ons are and aren't available, learn to write macros and have at it. Do the research and you'll find piles of utilities that the big guys didn't think of or find to narrow for inclusion. Find the 'work-arounds' common in the user community and solve those problems. Good Luck, and let us be the first to test the newest 'gotta have'.

Phil Sanders
01-22-2008, 9:21 AM
Thanks again for your replies.

Larry was spot on. This is how I interpreted the 1st two replies from Scott and Mike:

1 - There are two people doing the work now; not 5, not a handful, just 2! Now that tells me something about the quantity of work being sub-contracted.

2 - The speed of the 2 replies were posted tells me both already doing the sub-contracting have good "word of Mouth" reputations. They have a great market position due to name / product recognition. (Advertisement / marketing)

3 - The quality of the work, turn around, and customer satisfaction is high. Just read between the lines of Larry's post. The two people already in the business are will be the standard to which any new comer will be judged. The Market Leaders have been decided.

4 - What they are charging for their services; about what I pay for a haircut. I then presume the amount of time they spend will be about 1 to 3 times what a trip to the barber shop takes (give or take the crowded wait.) I was thinking it would take me about 4 to 5 times a haircut time length to start off with.

(Aside:See, if an Laser Operator took 8 to 10 hours to do something that a Sub-contractor could do in less than a hour, would the operator pay for the sub-contracting? This is what I was getting at Mike.)

5 - Turn around time. The two current jobbers have that sewed down hard. Absolutely could not compete there. May be on a good day, but not as rule when I start as I have other demands on my time. Both have turn around time down cold.

So, running down the check list from my SBA small business plan, well it ain't pretty, that's for sure. Why start off behind the 8 ball?

But all in all, this forum did good by me. Facts are facts. And I thank-you.

Phil

Mike Null
01-22-2008, 9:25 AM
There are always people looking for design work to be done. I do logos and some business cards (I don't print them anymore).

Check with engravers to see if they need help in the art room. Not all are one man operations.

Doug Griffith
01-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I've used one of the guys a couple of times. Cost something like $12 or $18 (or both, since each one is quoted). Seemed like a super bargain to me at $18, and the file was emailed back within 24 hours.

$12 - $18!!!

If the conversion is done manually and not just a click of the mouse, they are way underselling their skills.

I consider myself "super good" with Illustrator and know it takes more than 5-8 minutes to convert all but the simplest images (at a standard shop rate of $100/hour). Then there's the time spent emailing back and forth, etc... I see their rates akin to the China problem. It's as if laser services are being offered at 10 cents a minutes and driving everyone elses margin down.

In my opinion, they should charge far more for their services.

Cheers,
Doug

Scott Shepherd
01-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Here's a link to the one I used. I was quite happy. This might show you more what he's offering and if it's what you planned to offer. We might be talking about apples and oranges.

http://home.wi.rr.com/bertrandart/vector_art.html

Jim Good
01-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Pete has been on hold as far as taking on new work due to some medical issues. I don't think he has started taking new work, yet. If this is wrong, please correct me. I asked him just a week or two ago to do some work for me and he wasn't taking jobs at that time.

Jim

Joe Pelonio
01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
$12 - $18!!!

If the conversion is done manually and not just a click of the mouse, they are way underselling their skills.

I consider myself "super good" with Illustrator and know it takes more than 5-8 minutes to convert all but the simplest images (at a standard shop rate of $100/hour). Then there's the time spent emailing back and forth, etc... I see their rates akin to the China problem. It's as if laser services are being offered at 10 cents a minutes and driving everyone elses margin down.

In my opinion, they should charge far more for their services.

Cheers,
Doug
Just as an idea of what the people doing this make, I once hired a woman mainly to convert artwork (for vinyl) and paid her $8/hour. That was an increase from what she made doing it for a large advertising specialty company where they had a whole roomful of people doing it. Before hiring her I did my own but if I ran into time problems paid a company $25 flat fee to do it. Last time I had an employee that I was giving this kind of work to
she was getting $10/hour about 3 years ago. Back then I was charging the customers $50/hour.

Now I would not do it for less than my current rate of $75/hour, but then I only do it for customer orders, not for other sign/engraving people.

Mike Null
01-22-2008, 1:46 PM
Phil

I don't know of any engravers who spend 8 or 10 hours doing artwork for a single job. If they do it's fairly obvious they can't make any money. If I think a job will take an hour or more I'll send it to a pro. But I do 98% of my art myself in pretty quick order.

I think drawing conclusions from this site might lead to a wrong answer as many of the people here are hobbyists or are just beginning their laser engraving business.