PDA

View Full Version : rifle stock

Stephen Sebed
03-01-2004, 9:34 PM
I have been wanting to make a custom stock for a remington 10/22 for a while now but I don't know where to start. I want a a solid butt stock with a pistol grip handle. the final stock will be made out of walnut, but I am going to make a prototype out of pine. Can anyone give me some info on how to complete this project?

Thanks,
stephen

Tom Scott
03-01-2004, 10:18 PM
I would approach it like I would if I were making a new saw handle. Start with the original, or one that you like, to use as a pattern. Rough cut at the bandsaw, and then move to a series of spokeshaves, rasps, files, and sandpaper to shape and finish.
I have no idea how the stock is attached, so I would use the original as a pattern for this. You can also buy a stock or custom shoulder pad/plate for the butt.
Any carving or checkering planned for your stock?
This sounds like a fun project. I'm sure there are web sites devoted to this if you try a search.
Let us know how it turns out.

Tom

Bill Spero
03-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Steve, I've never built a stock from scratch but we've refinished quite a few old mausers over the years the best finish I've ever used and still use is called Linspeed. It's a combination of boiled linseed oil and some waxes and other dryers. After about 7 or 8 hand rubbed coats it will look beautiful.

Jim DeLaney
03-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Tom has already given you good advise as to roughing it out. For some of the specialized tools, and (if you want) glass bedding materials, check out Brownell's Gunsmith supply

www.Brownells.com

craig carlson
03-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi Stephen,

I've been thinking about do this to my Ruger 10/22. I've built one stock for a .50 caliber hawken rifle. The rough stock came from a local stock dealer (Calico Hardwoods in Santa Rosa Ca) approx $100 they have a great selection of California Calico Walnut. You would really need to go there to pick out the wood. I then sent it to an outfit in Rockford Illinois who rough carved the stock for my rifle ($100) and then spent the next month doing all the details and another month for the finish. Too bad the damn stock cracked after a couple of years (heavy loads ?) Detail tools are the key here with alot of intense work but it is fun.

Craig Carlson
Sebastopol, Ca.

P.S. Get back to me if you want the name of the Illinois co. and I'll see if I can dig it up.

David Rose
03-02-2004, 3:20 AM
Stephen, if you are going to do it all from scratch be sure to do the inletting on the barrel and action after rough shaping the stock leaving extra wood thickness. It is many times easier to go in that direction. Another tip for a 10/22 is to pull the barrel from the action (2 screws and a block) and inlet the action first. Then put the barrel back and inlet the barrel. Inletting screws are a great help. All they are is action screws which are extra long with no heads. With action holes drilled in the stock, you can simply slide the barrelled action in and take out the high spots. Oh, yeah, the "high spots" will be where an inletting dye shows on the stock.

Linspeed makes a nice semigloss finish though it isn't too water proof. If you are going to checker do all your finishing first.

David

I have been wanting to make a custom stock for a remington 10/22 for a while now but I don't know where to start. I want a a solid butt stock with a pistol grip handle. the final stock will be made out of walnut, but I am going to make a prototype out of pine. Can anyone give me some info on how to complete this project?

Thanks,
stephen

Philip Duffy
03-02-2004, 4:49 AM

Thanks,
stephen
Stephen, If you want a really classy looking stock I have a piece of european walnut that will look fantastic when it is done. I have 3 pieces and they may all be long enough for a stock. Very reasonable price at $60 for the longest. Philip