PDA

View Full Version : 3rd bowl...critique?

Jeff Clow
01-21-2008, 7:26 PM
This is my third attempt at a turning a bowl. First was OK, second one I got a catch, pulled out of the chuck, hit the tool rest & exploded. That second one was to be a Christmas present for my sister in-law. This is the replacement.
The wood is Indian rosewood, finish is polished to 12,000 micro mesh & paste wax.

Dennis Ford
01-21-2008, 8:10 PM
That wood is beautiful, you did a good job on it. I usually prefer thinner sides, but different strokes for different folks. ;)

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2008, 9:12 PM
Jeff - considering this is your third bowl and only second one completed I would say you did a pretty good job on it! Beautiful wood and great looking finish! Stick with it - it gets easier with time!

Allen Neighbors
01-21-2008, 9:55 PM
I ditto, Steve! My compliments on this beautiful bowl, Jeff. I like thick bowls for some uses, so this one would suit me fine. Well done on the finish, also.

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Well done for your second completion. Wood and finish look great.

Bill Embrey
01-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Beautiful wood and finish... and the more you do... the thinner the walls get :) I'm getting pretty consistent at 1/4" now (even the bottoms).

robert hainstock
01-22-2008, 10:15 AM
How'd you get that beautiful wood to not leach oil through the finish? it looks great. E.Indian rosewood is great stuff to work, But one of those oily , leech thru the finish, tropicals that like to make our lives miserable.
Again very nice work. :D
Bob

Glenn Hodges
01-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Jeff for a true critique the dimenisions would be helpful. I like the curves you have selected for the design, and the lip incorporated in the piece. The wood speaks for its own delightful language which I like. The only thing I would change would be the thickness of the overall piece, but some find this attractive. I think this is a wonderful bowl for only your 3rd one. Thanks for posting it so we could enjoy it.

Paul Engle
01-22-2008, 1:31 PM
Nice shape and finish ...well done , I did a small bowl / dish and sneezed my head off , I too like the thicker walls, kinda invites one to touch and feel , not so fragile looking .

Tom Sherman
01-22-2008, 3:07 PM
A nice job Jeff, great wood and finish.

Jeff Clow
01-22-2008, 3:08 PM
Thanks for the input. I was very pleased with the result myself!
The thickness was intentional, as that is how my sketch turned out. The piece is fairly close to my original sketch, but a bit different here & there. I thought this piece of wood would look good with a bit of heft to it.
The one that exploded was from cherry, a much larger blank. It was what you might call a "classic" shape. I had the side down to about 1/4". All was well till I was finishing the bottom, cleaning the tennon up into a proper foot. I was apparently not paying attention, snagged the corner of the gouge, and I had a 5 piece bowl!
As to the oils leeching, the only finish on it is Johnsons Paste Wax. As I was turning, the hardness and general feel of the wood seemed like it would polish up to a nice level...if not, I could go with a finish. I hadn't done a polish & wax finish before, so I thought I would try.
I don't have the bowl in front of me right now, but I would say the dimensions are about 6" diameter by about 2 1/2" high.

Ben Gastfriend
01-22-2008, 3:14 PM
Really nice job, and your finish looks great. Keep 'em coming!

John Bartley
01-22-2008, 3:21 PM
Very nice shape and lovely grain and finish as well. For your third turning and second successfully completed bowl, I'd say you're doing very well!!

cheers eh?