PDA

View Full Version : Aloha From Hawaii

Kim Ford
01-21-2008, 7:07 PM
Okay it is negative thirteen degrees in Wisconsin, without the wind chill, and what does my boss ask me to do? Go to Maui for two weeks on business. I said okay.

My brother and his wife live here and I was able to have some fun over the weekend. Went whale watching and met a fellow wood turner and wood worker, Shaun Fleming. www.woodentouches.com/ (http://www.woodentouches.com/). Check out her website it is cool. . . .

She is the sister of a business aquaintance and when I called her she invited me up to her studio / workshop and we spent a couple of hours looking at her work and visiting. She is quite an accomplished artist and turner. She was very gracious and we left with several pen blanks as well as a norfolk pine spalted log, a milo log and a small koa bowl blank.

What a wonderful lady. Thank you Shaun.

PS. The pictures are of my brother and I in his garage trying to get the blanks ready to ship. I am the one with the dorky looking hat, and the white legs.

charlie knighton
01-21-2008, 7:48 PM
cool! and it was on the way to work this morning, thanks for thought, it helps!:D

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2008, 7:57 PM
Thats great when the boss sends ya. Sounds like you made out with some nice wood.

Jim Becker
01-21-2008, 8:39 PM
Ya gotta love "work" assignments like that!

Pete Jordan
01-21-2008, 8:51 PM
Congrats Kim!

It doesn't get much better than that!

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2008, 9:07 PM
Congrats on the rough job assignment Kim! Checked out Shaun's website and am very impressed with her abilities! Must had been one heck of a tour! Some amazing wood you were shipping home! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Allen Neighbors
01-21-2008, 9:42 PM
Kim, you lucky dawg! Awesome trip, awesome wood, and I checked out Shaun's Website... you met an awesome lady! She's really talented!
Thanks for posting!
PS: Awesome job, too!! :)

Alex Elias
01-22-2008, 3:14 AM
Congratulations on the woods and the site is very nice indeed

robert hainstock
01-22-2008, 9:58 AM
Isn't it tough what we have to endure for our work sometimes. Great wood colection, and what an honor to meet the lady. I too am looking forward to some finished work from those treasures. :D:D
Bob

Dennis Peacock
01-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Wooo!!!!! The shine off them white legs is a bit much!! Let me get my shades on.........there....that's better. :p :rolleyes: :D

Congrats on your visit to friends and family while getting the boss happy. Congrats on the wood from Hiwahyer (I guess you'd have to speak southern to undertand that one!). Oh yea, don't forget to wave at me when you fly back...Arkysaw should be along your way.....maybe. :D

Ben Gastfriend
01-22-2008, 3:18 PM
It's pretty cool meeting another turner! Another NIP turner! That stuff looks amazing!

Did I mention the severe lack of female turners here? You should get her to join SMC!