PDA

View Full Version : vacuum muffler

Benjamin Dahl
01-21-2008, 7:06 PM
Like a number of other recent posts, I am trying to set up a vacuum chuck. I have been able to piece most of it together so far but have not been able to find a muffler. any idea where to look (big box store, auto supply, ace, online?) or how to make something to reduce the noise from the exhaust?
Thanks,
Ben

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2008, 9:17 PM
Ben - you didn't mention what you are using for a pump and that could make a difference. I am presently starting to build my own system and picked up a muffler (silencer) from Surplus City http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID=2008012120120390&catname=air&byKeyword=yes&search=silencer. Just something for you to consider.

Looking forward to seeing your system once you have it up and running!

Benjamin Dahl
01-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks Steve. I am using the gast pump from surplus center. I will try to see if I can find anything locally but might end up with that one.
Ben

Benjamin Dahl
01-22-2008, 9:32 PM
Just in case others need a quick fix for this issue, I attached some clear tubing that I had laying around to the exhaust and ran it to a 16 ounce plastic bottle I filled with some unused cheesecloth. punched a few holes in the bottom and sealed the bottle-top with some duct tape and it has reduced the sound significantly. might still get the muffler Steve mentioned but this works for now.
Thanks,
Ben