PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Voyage with the veneer press

Jim W. White
01-21-2008, 6:31 PM
Guys,

This was my big Christmas present this year. I bought all the miscellaneous hardware components for the venturi based "V2 Plus System" from Joe Woodworker. The only modifications I made from the plans provided free on his site was to use a 5 gallon tank from Sears instead of constructing the PVC reservoir tubes (call me lazy.) I bought a 4'x4' 30 mil bag from Joe Woodworker (VeneerSupplies) as well, with a quick connect fitting for the bag & hose.

The system works great!! It pulls 21" of vacumm using the 4x4 bag in less than ~20 seconds. Granted, I'm pressing a very small panel at this point, as a warm-up/test, but I still think that's pretty impressive. The system has not cycled on/off even once since the initial pump down 30 minutes ago. I'm pressing some walnut burl veneer I bought off *bay using the dark brown BetterBond glue (also from VeneerSupplies.)

I know it's all been said before, but the customer service from these folks was absolutely awesome. Everything was shipped very promptly and the packaging was excellent. If you've ever wondered about pursuing a vacumm based veneer press I would not hesitate to recommend this path if you already have an air compressor in your arsenal. PM me if you have any questions on the process. I'm very pumped about the whole thing (pun intended.)

Jim in Idaho

http://myweb.cableone.net/jimnbeck/veneer_press1.jpg

http://myweb.cableone.net/jimnbeck/veneer_press2.jpg

Bill Wyko
01-21-2008, 6:35 PM
I just bought 2 videos from Vacupress to educate myself on this art. If you don't mind my asking, how much was it to build this system? This is going to be a purchase for me soon.

Rich Torino
01-21-2008, 6:43 PM
Nice job Jim... actually I like the idea of the 5gal tank... you now have a built in handle. This project is definitely in my future... somewhere

Jim W. White
01-21-2008, 6:56 PM
hardware from JWW: $125
bag assembly and breather mesh from JWW: $110
1/4" ID hose from hardware store $10
quart of BetterBond glue/patch punch/glue roller $35
5 gallon tank from Sears $20
4'X8' sheet of 3/4" melamine (for culls) $25

Total: about $325

Jim Becker
01-21-2008, 8:55 PM
Yea, Joe runs a top-notch organization. I've been pleased with my setup from him, too, although I already had a vacuum pump at the lathe to use. It's made learning how to veneer a snap for me. So far, at least! I haven't tried anything fancy....

Nice job on your own setup!

Larry Fox
01-21-2008, 9:00 PM
I recently built the same system from JWW recently (although I used the PVC tubes) and I agree with Jim. Top-notch customer service - 100% satisfied with the purchase. I went with a larger bag (4x6) as I have a project coming up with curved pieces. Some pics of my press's maiden voyage. If you are on the fence I highly recommend pulling the trigger and giving it a whirl. The articles on Joe's site make getting started with the press easy.

Some results from the press. They are raw, no finish, pretty much straight from the press.