PDA

View Full Version : Fiber/Cardboard Drum for Dust Collection

Ben Martin
01-21-2008, 5:25 PM
Does anyone know of a source to get fiber drums for cheap? I was looking for one to make my own cyclone with and know that there must be places around that are just looking to give them away, but couldn't think of any. Can anyone help me out on this?

Leo Graywacz
01-21-2008, 6:27 PM
I don't know what you consider cheap. Oneida has some for sale on their site.

http://store.oneida-air.com/mfg-subcat-item.asp?CID=28&scid=112&mid=-1

Jamie Buxton
01-21-2008, 8:21 PM
If you can't find one for cheap, you're better off building a plywood box than buying a drum and paying the freight charges. You probably have scrap plywood around. And you can put a plastic window in the side so you can see how much dust is in the box.

Tom Veatch
01-21-2008, 8:27 PM
Does anyone know of a source to get fiber drums for cheap? I was looking for one to make my own cyclone with and know that there must be places around that are just looking to give them away, but couldn't think of any. Can anyone help me out on this?

If you're not locked in to fiber drums, check some local salvage yards for 55gal steel drums. Around here, the steel drums with sealing tops were in the $12 to $15 range a couple of weeks ago.

Bruce Wrenn
01-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Check with the local janitorial supply company. Many cleaning products come in fiber drums. Sweeping compound, powdered soap, even powered milk comes in fiber drums. If there is a local bakery, or commercial laundry, check there too. I used to get empty floor sweeping compound drums from local Lowes. Any place that sells lots of either cement, or mortar mix will probably have them.

Bill Zollinger
01-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Try a shipping/packaging store, like a UPS store, but for big items. I've seen them there.
Bill Z

Lloyd McKinlay
01-22-2008, 1:48 AM
Look at Eagle Peak Containers.

Fiber drum (http://epcontainers.net/id11.html)

Joe Chritz
01-22-2008, 4:56 AM
I was looking for a while when I thought about getting an extra or two for my cyclone. Then I decided I would just fill two before dumping them and scrapped the idea of getting an extra.

Steel would give you that advantage of putting wheels and a dump mechanism of some kind pretty easy. I have bought 55 gal burn barrels for around $10 each but that was a few years ago.

Good luck

Joe

Todd Hyman
01-22-2008, 10:22 AM
What about a plastic 55 gallon drum. I got one free from a local car wash.

Ben Martin
01-22-2008, 1:14 PM
What about a plastic 55 gallon drum. I got one free from a local car wash.

Hmm, I have a small basement shop, so I could sacrifice as much space as this would take up. But, I was looking for a source for rain barrels, this is a good idea, I might check out my car wash, thank for the advice.

Josiah Bartlett
01-22-2008, 2:55 PM
A lot of times the local guy who sells rain barrels on Craigslist knows where to get the other barrels too, but he doesn't have a market for them. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Fiber barrels are often used to ship plastic pellets for injection molding machines, dry chemicals, or dry foods.