PDA

View Full Version : Small Sassafras crotch Hollow Form

Arlan Ten Kley
01-21-2008, 4:44 PM
This was a small diameter crotch I had laying around the shop for a few years. It was completely dry with one small crack. I discovered some nice curl between branches, and decided to leave the natural surface yet remaining because to eliminate it would have eliminated the curly area. I have grown to appreciate the smooth transition from the turned surface to the the natural surface ....almost looks ..well natural!

4 1/2" wide x 2 3/8" high - same finish as the previous cedar piece.

Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Steve Knowlton
01-21-2008, 4:45 PM
Stunning, I love the look. Great job

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2008, 5:07 PM
Another winner Arlan! Love the wood! Amazed you didn't blow through the side when you were hollowing! Think this is a first for me - curly sassafras - looks great!

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing some more of your turnings!

Mike A. Smith
01-21-2008, 5:36 PM
That's a winner Arlen!

Brian McInturff
01-21-2008, 6:16 PM
Nice one Arlen. Never turned Sassafras. Glad to know it makes beautiful bowls. Great Job!

Arlan Ten Kley
01-21-2008, 6:48 PM
Thanks guys! As I'm pretty new to this...I was concerned about blowing out the side at the natural surface too! I conciously worked to not go through as I thought I'd like the complete surface more than a hole. I'll chose to cut through voids on another one later!

From my perspective, the sassafras was nice to turn...though I don't have a whole lot to compare it to.....certainly easier than that nuckle bustin semi dry live oak I tried.

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2008, 8:02 PM
Arlan that is a beauty for sure. Well done.

Tom Sherman
01-22-2008, 2:09 PM
Very nice HF Arlan, I have a small amount of Sassafrass but none with crotch wood. The stuff I have is considerable lighter than yours, was nice to turn and finished up nicely. I was surprised at how light it is when dried.

robert hainstock
01-22-2008, 2:30 PM
iI've never worked with sassafras, but you beautiful piece gives me the wanttoos. very nice form, and concept. :D:D:D
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
01-22-2008, 3:10 PM
Really nice wood! It's amazing how much figure there is in a crotch piece! Your form and finish are great, too!