PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Red Cedar Hollow Form finished

Arlan Ten Kley
01-21-2008, 4:27 PM
I finally finished the piece that I showed earlier in its unfinished state. Not knowing what would be the best finish.....this is what I ended up doing. Hand sanded with 320 then several coats of Minwax Wipe-on Poly which were wiped on and off. I then sanded up through 1500 (I know...probably overkill, but this is my first one!) and then one coat of clear Trewax rubbed by hand. I am quite pleased with the results...though the photos show that additional early sanding was required in places!

5 1/8" wide x 2 3/4" high

I'm not particularly happy with the upper curve...I think its a bit too fat.

I'm here to learn..so all comments and critics welcome.

Steve Campbell
01-21-2008, 4:43 PM
Looks great to me Arlan. I am going to try one soon. I only hope the one I make is even recognizable as a hollow form.

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2008, 5:04 PM
Arlan - I'm impressed! Great looking hollow form! Love the color and finish! It looks like you spent some time rubbing it out - smooth and soft! Very nice work!

As far as curves - figure out what it is you would like to do differently and try it on the next one. With time you figure out what it is that pleases you and that becomes your 'style'. I do like the way the foot is slightly recessed and is smaller than the opening. That's one of those things that I like to do on my forms.

Have fun with it!

Glenn Hodges
01-21-2008, 5:33 PM
Arlan you have a piece to be proud of.

Mike A. Smith
01-21-2008, 5:39 PM
Arlen, this is a really nice piece! I actually like the upper curve, I find the profile picture very pleasing.

Bill Bolen
01-21-2008, 5:56 PM
Now Arlan, that is just plain pretty! Love the shape, great finish and I like the choice of wood. Cedar is one of my favorites even though it is a bit cantakerous! (Well, so am I),Congrats...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2008, 8:31 PM
Arlan that is another beauty. I really like the form and wood.

Allen Neighbors
01-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Arlan, I think you've done an exceptional job on the finish... and you never "overkill" when you're finishing Cedar. It's hard to master the finish on cedar, and you've done it. I also like the form. Like has been said already, really look this one over, and decide what you would have to do to make it more pleasing to you... you're the final authority... then make the next one like that. You did well, sir.

Arlan Ten Kley
01-21-2008, 10:40 PM
I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. One thing I'm learning is that sometimes I may have a specific shape in mind, but the wood won't support it due to undesireable features. Other times I'll add "undesireable features" due to lack of tool skill or technique that need to be removed! These are getting fewer as I go.

I am very pleased with the finish. It has that soft smooth feel of a "stress relief stone".

Bill Embrey
01-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Arlan, you are absolutely right about that upper curve... PM me and I'll give you my address so you can send that to me and not have to look at it any more :).

Joking aside, that is a gorgeous turning and the finish is great.

Alex Elias
01-22-2008, 3:03 AM
Nice looking piece. The form looks good and the wood looks great

Tom Sherman
01-22-2008, 2:21 PM
You are making great strides in progress that is one nice HF.

Ben Gastfriend
01-22-2008, 3:11 PM
Really nice job! I'm with you on the upper curve, a little too fat, but others seem to really like it, so you should too! That wood is really nice also.